Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh... Turkey "juices" in the trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
Just got back from grocery trip and of course I noticed that the turkey I just bought was leaking and some of the wonderful juices leaked out of the bag and got onto the trunk surfaces.

I just sprayed and wiped the whole thing down with lysol all purpose cleaner (w/o bleach) multiple times and am airing it out. Anything else I should do? Ugh.

1700438409016.png

*Edit, sorry, not really helpful but I'm stuck in a boring meeting. Rent a small steam cleaner?

When you've tried everything suggested and it is all dried, sprinkle some baking soda on it for good measure.

Meat juices really stink/rot.

More suggestions here:

I would also consider removing it from the car for a while so any lingering odors do not settle into the vehicle.

Last edited:
Buy an entire new bottom piece? Lol. Something like this was going to happen sometime. Lol kicking myself for not being more careful. Next time the turkey goes in the frunk!

Airing it out now and sprayed Lysol everywhere.

Hope it doesn't turn out like the Seinfeld car lol.
Get the igloo 48qt cooler someone suggested here from Walmart. It fits perfectly in the trunk cavity and will prevent things like this the next time.

Reactions: cdub
When you've tried everything suggested and it is all dried, sprinkle some baking soda on it for good measure.

Meat juices really stink/rot.

More suggestions here:

I would also consider removing it from the car for a while so any lingering odors do not settle into the vehicle.
Sprinkling baking soda is an excellent idea; however, remember to vacuum it up after it has sat/soaked for a while. You don't want to leave the baking soda forever.

Reactions: cdub
A friend purchased a convertible during the summer, didn't drive it with the windows up before he purchased it. Turns out the previous owner died in the car and wasn't found for three days. His family paid several companies to remove the odor, they were all unable to do so. So he sold it the next summer. :)

Until summer when it really heats up and everything underneath starts smelling like dead bung hole.
Remove the liner because that juice is probably soaking in below the surface you cleaned off.
I cleaned it pretty quick literally right after it spilled with the cleaner. I think it's ok. Time week tell though.

Also I'm in SoCal so it's still hot. My wife is driving it to Lancaster today so that's a real test lol

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
Once left a package of raw sausage in my car for four days, in the Texas summer heat (not the Y, but my Lexus). It was one of the most horrifying smells I have ever experienced, doubled because of the surprise when getting into the car. The package had swollen up to about double (or more) the original size and was seeping juice.

I covered the entire carpeted part of the trunk in baking soda and let it sit, vacuumed it up, repeated about five times. Then soaked the entire car in Febreeze. After about two days the smell wasn't even detectable.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D