TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

UI for Opening Doors from Center Console

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by ishak, Aug 22, 2016.

Tags:
?

Which is the more intuitive UI to open the doors?

1. FWD buttons on bottom (Older UI)

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. FWD buttons on top (Current UI)

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. ishak

ishak Member

I have had my X for about 6 weeks, and I still have to think a bit before locating the exact button to open a specific door. I'm still thrown off by the fact the FWD buttons are *above* the front/passenger door buttons in the current UI. I feel the UI should display the car similar much like how the parking assist radar heat map works--visualizing the car from a bird's eye view, rather than from the rear.

I found what looks like an older UI from Google images that seems to have the buttons reversed (FWD buttons below the front/passenger doors). I'm sure there was a good reason for the change, including factors to consider, like pausing the door opening/closing, additional buttons to opening the FWDs halfway, obstacle detection/visualization, etc.-- they all may have led the new UI, but does anyone else prefer the older UI as it relates to the FWD button location?

Older(?) UI (FWD buttons below)

Current UI (FWD buttons above)

• Like x 2
  2. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

I had never seen the older UI before but that would be so much better! I've had my MX about 8 weeks and still often make errors. I hate how the front doors have a single button for open/close while the FWD ones are separate: mainly because the arrows for the front doors are so small/subtle. The door UI could use some work. No need to have such tiny buttons with small graphics on such a huge screen.

• Like x 2
  3. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Had an MX for the weekend (extended test drive) and we opened the wrong doors constantly. Really poor UI choice. The front doors should be at the top of the screen (front of car forward) and the FWD on the bottom. Hope it gets fixed in an update.

• Like x 1
  4. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I'm in agreement that the FWD door buttons should be on the bottom of the screen.

The next firmware release (8.0) is supposed to be a major overhaul of the UI and a more flat design. I'm hopeful that this issue will be remedied in that release.

• Like x 2
  5. timf

timf Member

At this point I'm used to the button arrangement and don't see a need to change it. It was more confusing when they had the two separate buttons for different falcon wing door positions.

• Like x 2
  6. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

Wow! So spot on! Never did see that old UI but soooooo much more intuitive! Agree that anything where the front door button are placed ON TOP of the FWDs which should be below! Just like when we got the early 'S' cars with the turn signal lever was BELOW the cruise control lever and eventually it was swapped. At least this would not be a hardware change but just a software change. Thanx for posting this and directing us from the FB group: Mag-log in sa Facebook | Facebook

• Like x 1
  7. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Back end view shows obstacles above the FWD & beside front doors, which is a nice touch.

But I've made the front/back door mistake a few times also, and favor a compromise somehow. Isometric view?

8. PGeer

PGeer Member

Make the buttons bigger. Location ok IMO.

I remember and liked the older UI, primarily because of bigger buttons, although I prefer the current animation. I've gotten in the habit of using the button to open my door (yes - the height of laziness) and often have to try a second time.

9. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Okay, after 2 months of owning this vehicle, I'm still accidently opening the passenger door instead of the fwd...I'm hoping for a complete redesign when 8.0 comes out.

10. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

I like the current view from the back of the car, but admit to a few mistakes the first few weeks. I'd be fine with sliding the car down, and moving the front doors to the top. I'd have to try it for a bit, though. Like @PGeer, I often used the touchscreen to open the driver's door, and bottom left of the doors popup window ends up being the shortest distance to my hand. Though I'd have to think if I do that often when I'm not opening other doors for children.