Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI for Opening Doors from Center Console

Which is the more intuitive UI to open the doors?

• FWD buttons on bottom (Older UI)

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • FWD buttons on top (Current UI)

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my X for about 6 weeks, and I still have to think a bit before locating the exact button to open a specific door. I'm still thrown off by the fact the FWD buttons are *above* the front/passenger door buttons in the current UI. I feel the UI should display the car similar much like how the parking assist radar heat map works--visualizing the car from a bird's eye view, rather than from the rear.

I found what looks like an older UI from Google images that seems to have the buttons reversed (FWD buttons below the front/passenger doors). I'm sure there was a good reason for the change, including factors to consider, like pausing the door opening/closing, additional buttons to opening the FWDs halfway, obstacle detection/visualization, etc.-- they all may have led the new UI, but does anyone else prefer the older UI as it relates to the FWD button location?

Older(?) UI (FWD buttons below)
View media item 115763
Current UI (FWD buttons above)
View media item 115762

I had never seen the older UI before but that would be so much better! I've had my MX about 8 weeks and still often make errors. I hate how the front doors have a single button for open/close while the FWD ones are separate: mainly because the arrows for the front doors are so small/subtle. The door UI could use some work. No need to have such tiny buttons with small graphics on such a huge screen.

Reactions: davidc18 and ishak
Wow! So spot on! Never did see that old UI but soooooo much more intuitive! Agree that anything where the front door button are placed ON TOP of the FWDs which should be below! Just like when we got the early 'S' cars with the turn signal lever was BELOW the cruise control lever and eventually it was swapped. At least this would not be a hardware change but just a software change. Thanx for posting this and directing us from the FB group: Mag-log in sa Facebook | Facebook

Reactions: ishak
Make the buttons bigger. Location ok IMO.

I remember and liked the older UI, primarily because of bigger buttons, although I prefer the current animation. I've gotten in the habit of using the button to open my door (yes - the height of laziness) and often have to try a second time.

I like the current view from the back of the car, but admit to a few mistakes the first few weeks. I'd be fine with sliding the car down, and moving the front doors to the top. I'd have to try it for a bit, though. Like @PGeer, I often used the touchscreen to open the driver's door, and bottom left of the doors popup window ends up being the shortest distance to my hand. Though I'd have to think if I do that often when I'm not opening other doors for children.