Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I assume you meant you ordered via the website on the strength of an email that was apparently doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago inviting people to "Preorder the new Model 3 Highland".

In other words it was asking people to order a Model 3 (which still had the old one on the website, at the old prices & specs) and then hope that it would be converted into a refresh car by someone at Tesla manually.

Even if that did happen you'd still have the issue of having paid for a car that is substantially different to the one you actually receive - i.e. the specs you agreed to might be different, maybe worse in some cases, on the new car.
If it’s the same email I had, it clearly referenced updated the model 3 and link in the email was definitely the updated version with the updated lower prices and spec

IMG_2461.jpeg

Yeah Tesla paint is pretty underwhelming. I definitely miss some of the more memorable colours I've had. Hell, even Audi blacks are usually pearlescent and really pop with purple, etc in sunlight.

Would love some Porsche colours too.. crayon and the ice blue they have is lovely. The MG4 orange is very striking too.

As you say - the choice is very poor, by the numbers, not enough variety. Surely having more choice in that department wouldn't cost them more, would it? We're not asking for "paint to colour" custom paint jobs, just more variety.

There's just something weird about Tesla's paint, the red and blue particularly. Seems perhaps it's formulated and trialled entirely in Calaformia sun and needs both that, and to be immaculately polished to have any pop at all. The red looks great in photos (mostly in sunny US places) and in the configurator, but in the metal here in Norway it's almost always dark and bland looking unless I manage to spot a clean one on a rare super sunny summer's day, or some special situation like arrivng at work in twilight and seeing one parked directly under a bright street lamp - that looked great!

When first looking into Teslas and ordering a red 3 I just assumed the bland dark burgundy looking cars I saw on the road must be a completely different colour and not the sparky red I was ordering! Soon realised that's just how the red looks here in most conditions. So when I cancelled my new order to get a 1 year old instead, I didn't really mind getting a white one.

But what's weird is other manufacturers seem to manage to get paints to pop in normal conditions here! Plenty of stunning looking red Mazdas and others over here, so why can't Tesla manage? Will be interesting to see if the new ultra red fares any better.

Tesla's cough "range" of colours has always felt like another of their cost cutting measures.

Originally that was to solve "production hell" when they went from making a handful of MS / MX to trying to get scaled up production of boat loads of M3 going. They reduced the options, and changed the fulfilment from what was effectively "made to order" to "Make a bunch of them in batches" and, separately, "Sell them in those option combinations". Needs relatively few options for that to work ...

If it’s the same email I had, it clearly referenced updated the model 3 and link in the email was definitely the updated version with the updated lower prices and spec

After chasing Tesla a couple of times via SMS, I've been told that orders that 'would like' an upgraded Model 3 need to be put on hold until January.

Really not sure what would have happened had I not contacted them to check about this given their website is clearly selling the new model. Are they just hoping people won't notice when they collect their car and it's the current model that simply matches the basic spec?

After chasing Tesla a couple of times via SMS, I've been told that orders that 'would like' an upgraded Model 3 need to be put on hold until January.

Really not sure what would have happened had I not contacted them to check about this given their website is clearly selling the new model. Are they just hoping people won't notice when they collect their car and it's the current model that simply matches the basic spec?
Could explain the sudden earlier date shown on order, I was expecting Jan-Feb next year as that was indicated when I ordered so not an issue but shows November-December now in the app, I’ve switched to a Ultra Red so no chance of a similar old model but would be funny if they tried

Unless I'm missing something obvious people who ordered before the website changed to the Highland would have ordered on the basis that they were getting the previous gen car? Why would they expect and/or feel entitled to get the Highland car instead?

Could explain the sudden earlier date shown on order, I was expecting Jan-Feb next year as that was indicated when I ordered so not an issue but shows November-December now in the app, I’ve switched to a Ultra Red so no chance of a similar old model but would be funny if they tried
How did you "switch"? Did you just ask them/someone to change it? There's every chance either the date gets pushed to Jan-Feb - making it a Highland car - or the order gets flagged when they realise that "Ultra Red" isn't a colour (option code) that exists on the pre-Highland car, or some other potentially worse scenario.

How did you "switch"? Did you just ask them/someone to change it? There's every chance either the date gets pushed to Jan-Feb - making it a Highland car - or the order gets flagged when they realise that "Ultra Red" isn't a colour (option code) that exists on the pre-Highland car, or some other potentially worse scenario.
No it’s all done through Tesla website, there is a option to edit order, there you can change everything as if you are starting from scratch, RN number stayed the same as did the expected delivery time

To clarify my original order wasn’t placed until the new model was available so definitely a Highland, I don’t expect to get it untill Jan-Feb, anything earlier is a bonus
IMG_2481.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Unless I'm missing something obvious people who ordered before the website changed to the Highland would have ordered on the basis that they were getting the previous gen car? Why would they expect and/or feel entitled to get the Highland car instead?

No idea but I presume that if you place an order for something advertised then you'd expect to get that. I specifically waited to place an order until after they'd updated all the information on their website with the new revisions to the car.

Just seemed odd to then have to ask them to make sure that I got what I'd ordered.

No it’s all done through Tesla website, there is a option to edit order, there you can change everything as if you are starting from scratch, RN number stayed the same as did the expected delivery time

To clarify my original order wasn’t placed until the new model was available so definitely a Highland, I don’t expect to get it untill Jan-Feb, anything earlier is a bonusView attachment 984592
Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick. I presumed you ordered the pre-Highland car and then expected to get a Highland instead.

Completely wrong end of the stick on my part, apologies!

Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick. I presumed you ordered the pre-Highland car and then expected to get a Highland instead.

Completely wrong end of the stick on my part, apologies!
No problem, easy mis-understanding, I’m sure there are some people in that situation but in theory should be a easy switch to new version if no match available to an old version I would have thought

No problem, easy mis-understanding, I’m sure there are some people in that situation but in theory should be a easy switch to new version if no match available to an old version I would have thought
I didn’t know that all the new highland model come with premium interior. Amazing value for the money you manage to get Ultra red and premium interior for 41000. Hope this is not your first Tesla. A low specced BMW iX cost 70000 and if you go for the full spec it will come to 110000 (with all the features we get on a model 3) and this will travel only around 200miles on the 20-80% charge calculations.

I have a feeling all the other EVs just focus on increasing the size of the battery if their battery tech isn’t good enough - an easy solution to deal with the range issue. I saw the news about the new Alfa EV coming with the biggest battery ever known to mankind or something!

Last edited:
I didn’t know that all the new highland model come with premium interior. Amazing value for the money you manage to get Ultra red and premium interior for 41000. Hope this is not your first Tesla. A low specced BMW iX cost 70000 and if you go for the full spec it will come to 110000 (with all the features we get on a model 3) and this will travel only around 200miles on the 20-80% charge calculations.

I have a feeling all the other EVs just focus on increasing the size of the battery if their battery tech isn’t good enough - an easy solution to deal with the range issue. I saw the news about the new Alfa EV coming with the biggest battery ever known to mankind or something!
Price a bit misleading, that excludes delivery and reg fee but total is £41,995 which does seem great value your right, considering the competition base price is similar to a mid spec Astra EV or a Megane E-Tech, easy choice

It will be my first Tesla, I was considering a used one but this model with price drop has tempted me

My last car was an Alfa Giulia. The battery management system was shocking. Clearly a manufacturing defect going off the number of complaints on the Alfa forums.

I had the Giulia and the Tesla for a few months together and I used to have to plug the Giulia’s battery in more frequently than the M3.

I’m due to replace the M3 in 11 months and I could be tempted by a single motor long range if it has a premium interior like the SR, if it comes out. Since I got the M3, we now have a scheme at work so and the single motor long range was aimed at company cars.

I’m not 100% sure why It says premium interior on my order as I believe it has a lower spec sound system, on pre-highland that was the only difference between Partial premium and premium interior as far as I can see or was there other differences? Highland has lost the fog lights on all models which also used to be a difference between SR and LR

I do think the Tesla is pretty good value but there’s a bit more to a more expensive car like the iX. It’s not all just range.

I do think the Tesla is pretty good value but there’s a bit more to a more expensive car like the iX. It’s not all just range.
Tesla seem to have dropped to a lower price catorgy now and not competing with BMW, when M3 was launched in UK the RWD was more in the price range of M340i/330d, now it is same price as poverty spec 320i. EV base i4 is £10k more and you don’t even get a driver side adjustable lumbar support let alone a lot of the other add ons, personally BMW wouldn’t be in my league EV wise

I’m not 100% sure why It says premium interior on my order as I believe it has a lower spec sound system, on pre-highland that was the only difference between Partial premium and premium interior as far as I can see or was there other differences? Highland has lost the fog lights on all models which also used to be a difference between SR and LR

The highland configurator shows what looks like alcantara on the black interior doorcards on the LR, but the render changes to what looks like some nasty fabric on the RWD. Haven't noticed it in any reviews though - they usually have the white interior.