Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q2 collection and delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many third party chargers have their own tethered cables - look for DC/CCS charging such as Superchargers and also Tesla Destination charges as they are based on TWC with tethered cable.

If you can't charge at home, there is the Winnersh supercharger as long as its not flooded :eek:
Thank you so much, I'm totally new to electric cars and thought you had to have your own cable; didn't realise that the charging stations had cables

Tesla are really trying to take away the fun for me! Car delivered on Monday, discovered the blue charging cable had been removed out of the bag in the boot.
Called Service as the app wasn't live yet; told would have replacement Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. Called again Thursday and logged on the app, told Friday. Got text saying TNT will deliver Saturday. Just got an email saying Monday.

Was going for a long trip out on Sunday, can't do that now as the 3-pin charger will take too long to give me enough miles :(

All CCS chargers have a tethered cable so you don't need your own. You're not likely to use anything other than a Supercharger or CCS public charger on a trip.

Well we're in the middle of a pretty bad delivery experience right now. Family members decided to buy a Model 3 immediately after I took them to test drive one about a month ago. During the order process (at the showroom) it said delivery wasn't possible to their address (which is within the M25, towards the south) and the only option it gave was for collection from Southampton, nowhere else at all. The sales assistant said they would be able to arrange delivery somehow if we proceeded with the option for collection from Southampton selected, so we did, and we eventually (probably a couple of weeks later) got a delivery date of the 21st of May (which was about a week longer than we had originally been told, seeing as the car was ordered from existing inventory, but not too bad). From this point it was seemingly being done through the standard Tesla delivery system, as it should have been in the first place.

Then last night they got an email from Tesla saying the delivery appointment today was at 7:00am. So they got up extra early, and I also headed over to their house for 7am with no sleep overnight at all (as my body clock is nocturnal right now)... and we waited. At about 10am we got an email asking for an electronic signature to confirm delivery of the car, but still no sign of the car or any other contact. We then rang the showroom to ask what was happening, and they told us that it saying 7:00am actually means it could be anytime all day. We heard nothing further until about 3pm, when we got a call from the delivery driver. The line was pretty bad so it was hard to be sure exactly what he was saying, but it certainly seemed like he was saying he had our car and was on his way to us with it but was stuck in traffic on the north side of the Blackwall Tunnel... and that the car had come from Brent Cross somehow (so I thought that seemed a very strange/indirect route to take from Brent Cross to us). He also mentioned he hadn't even been told about delivering our car until 12pm. So we carried on waiting, expecting him to be with us within the next hour or two.

Now we've just had another call, at about 5:30pm, from someone at the delivery company saying that our car is actually just being picked up from Brent Cross *now* and will be with us sometime between 7-8pm. So that'll be at least 12 hours later than the time we were told to be, and have been, ready to accept delivery of it. It'll also probably be getting too dark to inspect it properly (and I'm definitely way too tired to help with that now).

What I don't understand is: Why say specifically 7:00am in the email (it didn't say 7:00 onwards or anything like that, but specifically 7:00am, and called it a "delivery appointment") if they clearly knew it could actually be delivered any time in the whole day/evening? And why couldn't anyone let us know what was happening earlier? In fact, if we'd known it was going to be in Brent Cross in the first place (rather than Southampton), we probably would have gone and collected it from there ourselves.

I picked my SR+ #teamblue up from Bristol Cribbs Causeway today. Happy chap called Dylan talked me through the process and it was all pretty painless. I went in the store and in the car 5 mins later. He walked around the carpark talking to about 5 of us in various Model 3's answering our questions. Everyone was friendly. My car reset several times when I sat in it which freaked me out a little but Dylan explained it was the car swapping over ownership. Hasn't done it since. It had 97% on it and even had floor mats ;-)

Spent lot of time setting it up for various things. Tried my best to look around the car in the pee'ing rain, all doors, windows, boot, frunk checked out. No obs panel gaps. When you're sat in the car parked up the hum from under you is rather disconcerting but I guess that's the battery pack doing its thing.

Software version 2020.47.105 on it! Need to get a wifi extender to allow it to connect to my WiFi and get it in this year at least

Glad to be out of Bristol today, M4/M5 was a carpark and Cribbs was really busy. Didn't really get above 30 mph until I was back in Wales.

Last edited:
Then last night they got an email from Tesla saying the delivery appointment today was at 7:00am.

What I don't understand is: Why say specifically 7:00am in the email (it didn't say 7:00 onwards or anything like that, but specifically 7:00am, and called it a "delivery appointment") if they clearly knew it could actually be delivered any time in the whole day/evening?
You've reminded me that the delivery to my home on a Friday in April 2020 had exactly the same 7am message & we were dressed and ready but by 9am decided to call & were told the car was still in West Drayton 'leaving soon'. It eventually arrived with us at 4.30pm but to be fair, Tesla had jumped through hoops to get us the car with two days notice (wife re registered as NHS key worker at the start of the pandemic & previous car already sold). We did get updates throughout the day and the car was properly PDI'd, cleaned and basically perfect quality throughout so I was happy enough.

I had presumed this 'delay' from 7am to 4.30pm was unusual because of the whole new first lockdown situation but from reading the experience of @EddyM2 it seems not.

Reactions: EddyM2
Picked up my LR from the Trafford Centre this morning, the pop up centre was still being built with loads of new cars ready for delivery in the carparks.
I had a really great welcome and made all the better by spotting my car under the marquee behind the desk!
Checked over with no issues and with 62% in the battery drove to my work place in Manchester with no issues and a big grin!
Drove my 64 mile home over the M62 this afternoon and absolutely loved it, the performance is WOW, loved Spotify, the only thing I don't like is the wipers on auto but once I got used to the wiper control on the screen it became 2nd nature on how to control them, the real pleasure is how easy it is to drive.
Tomorrow is a trip to the seaside and fish and chips!

Reactions: G00NERJ and yfwt
It's finally just been dropped off. We were told all sorts of conflicting things by the delivery people over the last few hours - the time they said it would be here kept getting later and later, they didn't really seem to know where it/the driver were at all, and when we finally managed to get a tracking link from them it said it was up in Hertfordshire somewhere (i.e. north of the M25, while we're down at the bottom of it, and Brent Cross is somewhere in between). Somehow that was wrong though, as it arrived here about 40 minutes later.

The driver was nice, and apparently had no idea about any of what had been going on (and wasn't the driver who had rung us earlier in the day). The car seems good as far as we can tell, but it's way too dark to see it properly and we're all too tired to check it out now anyway, so all we've done is move it onto the drive for now and will check it properly tomorrow.

One thing I noticed (as he was reversing it off the transporter) was that it actually has the pedestrian speaker thing! And it actually makes quite a pleasant noise (I think, at least). So if anyone wants me to check anything out to do with that, let me know and I'll try to do it tomorrow :)

Oh and I also noticed it it says it's on v10.2 (2020.47.104), Navigation Data: EU-2019.21-12489, but it also says "Your car software is up to date as of 21 May 21:53", so I'm not sure if that makes sense? The app hasn't been activated or anything yet anyway (we've just signed the delivery confirmation thing now, after parking it up on the drive for the night)

Oh and one more thing - it looks surprisingly low on charge (says 111 miles, not sure how to get the exact percentage but from the icon it looked like 30% ish to me?), but does seem to be saying it's only been driven 8 miles. So that could be a bit of an issue as we've got no proper home charger yet (the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector went out of stock just as we had everything figured out and went to order it last week, so waiting for that now) and not sure if there's gonna be a feasible way to get the mobile charging lead to reach from indoors - so I think a trip to the nearest Supercharger might be in order tomorrow (seems to be about 20 miles away)

Last edited:
Picked up my LR from the Trafford Centre this morning, the pop up centre was still being built with loads of new cars ready for delivery in the carparks.
I had a really great welcome and made all the better by spotting my car under the marquee behind the desk!
Checked over with no issues and with 62% in the battery drove to my work place in Manchester with no issues and a big grin!
Drove my 64 mile home over the M62 this afternoon and absolutely loved it, the performance is WOW, loved Spotify, the only thing I don't like is the wipers on auto but once I got used to the wiper control on the screen it became 2nd nature on how to control them, the real pleasure is how easy it is to drive.
Tomorrow is a trip to the seaside and fish and chips!
Thanks for the heads up buddy! And congratulations hopefully that will be me next week! 🤞🏼🙏🏼👍🏼Is the collection point at the Trafford centre outside Debenhams? How long was your process if you done mind asking?

Whitby tomorrow for you? 🙂

Reactions: jontymo
Thanks for the heads up buddy! And congratulations hopefully that will be me next week! 🤞🏼🙏🏼👍🏼Is the collection point at the Trafford centre outside Debenhams? How long was your process if you done mind asking?

Whitby tomorrow for you? 🙂
Hi matey, yes the collection point is what was the carpark outside Debenhams, you will spot it easily. The process is as long as you make it!
I gave the young lady who met me my license as soon as I walked to the desk and 2 minutes later I was inspecting my car(I took about 30 minutes) - once done I went back to the desk and confirmed I was happy and then the contract was completed and digitally signed.

Easy as and an enjoyable experience, my mate was gobsmacked about the car and the way the deal was done LOL.

All in all excellent and yes I think it is a trip to to Whitby or Seahouses tomorrow.

Let me know how you get on buddy.

Reactions: yfwt
Oh and I also noticed it it says it's on v10.2 (2020.47.104), Navigation Data: EU-2019.21-12489, but it also says "Your car software is up to date as of 21 May 21:53", so I'm not sure if that makes sense?

Its perfectly normal for the cars to be delivered with an oddball factory installed version. A standard (not that any particular version is standard at the moment) OTA update will be offered in due course. You may be lucky and get it almost immediately, or it may be several weeks or more. If you don't get an update offered after 3 weeks, maybe raise an issue, but hopefully it will be before then. You only need the regular LTE/3G connection to be offered an update, but will normally need to be on WiFi to download it.

Last edited:
Moderator - post merged from "New M3 Dual Motor Collected!"

Arrived at the Bristol Collection Centre an hour early, found my car in the carpark. Neil and I checked it over, not a blemish, not a mark, all pannel gaps even and tight, especially the boot lid.
But no valve caps... none of the new M3s in the carpark had valve caps.
The handover guy said that for the last 2 or 3 weeks the cars had arrived that way, it is being investigated.
Handover very quick, quite painless.
Drove home...now I really know why I bought the car.
Quick enough, quiet, rides well, steers accurately, utterly tranquil, excellent sound system: after the C63 and just a nice place to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have hoped they would have known and proactively said about the valve caps. I know Tesla does a minimal PDI, but I hope tyre pressures is one of them and so it would have been obvious.

Fortunately an easy one to remedy, very good to hear all else was good.

Picked up at Brent Cross yesterday, pretty painless - although was quite hard to find the actual place in a cab and the driver was starting to get shitty ha. Got there and there were 2 desks and one other person so pretty much just went to the desk showed my license and was given my key cards. I wasn’t offered any kind of “tutorial” just told my car was outside, however to be honest this wasn’t a bad thing for me as I just wanted to drive home. All in all it was very different to any past car pick up, did it feel less “premium” to essentially be told to “go find your car” after I have shelled out £50K....yes it did...however that didn’t tarnish the experience for me and am thoroughly enjoying the car - the ride home through central london (which I usually hate) was fun and I even got 3 waves from other Tesla drivers! (Of course I returned the wave with an enthusiastic flash of my lights as well ha :))

Reactions: yfwt
Picked up at Brent Cross yesterday, pretty painless - although was quite hard to find the actual place in a cab and the driver was starting to get shitty ha. Got there and there were 2 desks and one other person so pretty much just went to the desk showed my license and was given my key cards. I wasn’t offered any kind of “tutorial” just told my car was outside, however to be honest this wasn’t a bad thing for me as I just wanted to drive home. All in all it was very different to any past car pick up, did it feel less “premium” to essentially be told to “go find your car” after I have shelled out £50K....yes it did...however that didn’t tarnish the experience for me and am thoroughly enjoying the car - the ride home through central london (which I usually hate) was fun and I even got 3 waves from other Tesla drivers! (Of course I returned the wave with an enthusiastic flash of my lights as well ha :)

Glad to hear it was all OK from Brent Cross as collecting next week. Any tips on finding the place - will be getting an Uber from the station.