Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the rated range which appears when you move the charge level % on the charge limit slider which has disappeared, not the toggle between % & Miles by the battery icon. Disappeared with App v 4.8.
Well, maybe that's a good thing. Thinking of it a bit, what does this mileage really tell you? The range is totally dependent on temperature, wet/dry weather, length of trip, hot or cold battery and driving style. So, if you set it to a percentage, it makes total sense. But I don't really see why I would want to see the mileage rather than percent. So, in my opinion it's a good thing that this disappeared. It may make people having less range anxiety when they get used to it

Agreed on showing % over miles. I don't really see any benefit in showing miles as the preference as it's not a true measure of how far you can travel. Your range is dependent on so many factors, speed, weather, how hard you hit the accelerator, etc. Some would argue you can say the same for showing percentage instead, however, at least with percentage you have a clearer idea of when you need to top up, rather than range. It's a bit like showing time left rather than percentage on your laptop or phone. The more you use it or the more intense applications you run, e.g. games, on either device, will use up more battery power compared to casual browsing of the internet, therefore it makes sense to show percentage rather than time left.

On the update itself. Updated this morning and found that the app couldn't connect to the car once it updated. Not something I had experienced before with previous updates. I jumped in and noticed no LTE connection, did a soft reboot, waited a few moments and it came back. Also another poster raised an issue about being forced to update on a WiFi connection, since owning the car new from March this year, I've found all updates could only be downloaded over WiFi and not LTE. Admittedly, I had to hotspot my phone to the car to download them as I'm an "on street parking" owner!

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Imagine if your phone said you had an hour runtime left, based on the fact you had just been browsing websites. Then you decide to play an intensive game and it lasts less than 15 minutes. You might be annoyed, no? "It said it was going to last an hour".

That's how I feel about having miles as the measurement of battery capacity. It is a meaningful metric, because it tells you how far you can travel before you need to think about charging your car, which makes it dangerous because you will rely on it and could easily end up in a situation where you skip a charger on your route, thinking you can go further, and suddenly find you can't travel as far as you think you can.

Reactions: Rirawin and Adopado
Well, maybe that's a good thing. Thinking of it a bit, what does this mileage really tell you? The range is totally dependent on temperature, wet/dry weather, length of trip, hot or cold battery and driving style. So, if you set it to a percentage, it makes total sense. But I don't really see why I would want to see the mileage rather than percent. So, in my opinion it's a good thing that this disappeared. It may make people having less range anxiety when they get used to it
That's beginning to sound like Elon's line - you don't use it so you won't miss it.

Personally, I prefer the mileage number rather than the % and appreciate all the nay-sayers' arguments against. I understand entirely that it as about as realistic as the range figure my Ducati quotes, but still prefer that as a point of reference. One thing it does do, which % doesn't, is to indicate the condition of your battery as the mileage quoted uses a fixed ratio of the kWh available.

Horses for courses and all that...

Reactions: Durzel and diddy84
That's beginning to sound like Elon's line - you don't use it so you won't miss it.

Personally, I prefer the mileage number rather than the % and appreciate all the nay-sayers' arguments against. I understand entirely that it as about as realistic as the range figure my Ducati quotes, but still prefer that as a point of reference. One thing it does do, which % doesn't, is to indicate the condition of your battery as the mileage quoted uses a fixed ratio of the kWh available.

Horses for courses and all that...
I personally think that the mileage number is causing Tesla more headaches than it is doing anything good. There is an excellent representation of estimated mileage based on your average through the last 30 miles in the car that can be displayed and which is very helpful. I would like that to be available through the app rather than the rated / ideal mileage as it would be of better use. Unfortunately, the mileage shown is not a representation of the condition of your battery but rather a quite odd one as it seem to be quite easy for the BMS to under/over-estimate the mileage. The average calculation made on the app in the car seem to be quite good at giving a realistic (and yet somewhat conservative) mileage.

So, I'm not really a nay-sayer but think it would be refreshing to give the user a bit more control over how the calculation should be made.

Reactions: Durzel
Unfortunately, the mileage shown is not a representation of the condition of your battery but rather a quite odd one as it seem to be quite easy for the BMS to under/over-estimate the mileage.
In a crude way, it is exactly that.

The 'quoted' maximum mileage for a full charge is representative of what the BMS believes the battery is capable of based on a fixed m/kWh conversion. It is the one way to simply compare the battery deterioration over time - current quoted maximum v max 'as new', hence so many discussions on these forums with folks comparing what their car now quotes.

…. One thing it does do, which % doesn't, is to indicate the condition of your battery as the mileage quoted uses a fixed ratio of the kWh available.
Yes indeed. Though I have percentage as my default display I used to be able to simply move the charge percentage slider up to 100% and it would give me the total miles range as judged by the BMS as well as the percentage. Of course to get the most accurate (least inaccurate) assessment you need to go ahead and charge all the way to 100% but this quick check was pretty close.

In a crude way, it is exactly that.

The 'quoted' maximum mileage for a full charge is representative of what the BMS believes the battery is capable of based on a fixed m/kWh conversion. It is the one way to simply compare the battery deterioration over time - current quoted maximum v max 'as new', hence so many discussions on these forums with folks comparing what their car now quotes.
Perhaps that’s why Tesla removed it. They might be sick of customers contacting service centres after a week of ownership asking then why a 100% charge doesn’t show the same range in the app as was on the order page, or why after 6 months someone thinks they’ve lost 5 miles and “is that normal”. There’s certainly been no end of questions along those lines on the FB groups I’m on.

But in principal I agree, more choice is better. If people want to use a inaccurate measurement because that’s what makes them more comfortable, they should be able to.

Perhaps that’s why Tesla removed it. They might be sick of customers contacting service centres after a week of ownership asking then why a 100% charge doesn’t show the same range in the app as was on the order page, or why after 6 months someone thinks they’ve lost 5 miles and “is that normal”. There’s certainly been no end of questions along those lines on the FB groups I’m on.

But in principal I agree, more choice is better. If people want to use a inaccurate measurement because that’s what makes them more comfortable, they should be able to.
Most of SR+ owners charge to 100% most of the time, so we do not have to slide it at the point of charging to check the BMS and that is one of the reasons I wasn’t sure why would someone even need that feature.

From existing data other than Europe in most other regions it is SR that is the high volume seller.

Whether people are contacting Tesla or not if this is to reassure the customers then the SR customers still will contact Tesla and that is a huge number. I have seen my BMS total miles drop from 262 to 256 in a year and every time I charge to 100% (3 times a week) I see the BMS calculated miles and I don’t have to move the slider.

Most of SR+ owners charge to 100% most of the time, so we do not have to slide it at the point of charging to check the BMS and that is one of the reasons I wasn’t sure why would someone even need that feature.
Whoa there ... most SR+ owners don't have LFP battery packs and consequently don't charge to 100% most of the time ... I do 100% 2 or 3 times a year! Remember the SR+ was being sold for a couple of years in the UK before the LFP packs arrived so LFP is in the minority. Given that the SR+ is no longer sold the LFP versions of that model will forever remain in the minority. The standard RWD Model 3 is the new home of LFP of course.

Reactions: diddy84

You might be onto something with your first point @Durzal

Your final point I'd disagree with however - the 'inaccurate measure' is more meaningful than % in terms of the distance the car is capable of driving. (Yes, I know 'other factors etc, etc') Knowing the car quotes say 140 miles means I'm very unlikely to drive 180 miles, but likely good for 100 in most circumstances. What does 42% tell me, other than that's the current level of the battery. Using a % still means you need to make your own assumption about what distance is possible. We are simply debating the starting point to use.

As I said earlier, horses for courses - without the need to patronise.

Reactions: Durzel and spdpsba

From existing data other than Europe in most other regions it is SR that is the high volume seller.

Whether people are contacting Tesla or not if this is to reassure the customers then the SR customers still will contact Tesla and that is a huge number. I have seen my BMS total miles drop from 262 to 256 in a year and every time I charge to 100% (3 times a week) I see the BMS calculated miles and I don’t have to move the slider.
Most SR+ models currently on the road don't have LFP batteries, so won't be charging to 100%.

Reactions: Durzel and Adopado
Most SR+ models currently on the road don't have LFP batteries, so won't be charging to 100%.
Ok, what I meant was the RWD with LFP batteries are the highest volume seller in North america and other regions excluding Europe. Does that make it much more clear?
Indeed. And since the SR+ is not made any more that will remain the case not just currently but forevermore ... as I mentioned in my post above ;)
As above but the SR+ on road without LFP batteries aren’t in huge numbers. But the point I was making is responding to @Durzel of why Tesla removed that feature.