Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Zilla91 I tested lane change On the dual carriageway. I’ve had mine set on mad max for ages and it’s always been sluggish.
Vision only has made a big difference. I came up behind a car doing 55, indicated the change, the car pulled out quite swiftly but safely and instantly floored it to 70 😁
Sweet, maybe it’s not all bad after all! Thanks for testing

Reactions: Dilly and init6
So what you say overall is your opinion of it?
@Durzel
I haven’t been any great distance and ignoring the imposition of auto lights and wipers, overall I’m finding improvement. On AP, lane change and overtake is more assertive. the car does what I would do. Once again, it’s moved away from the kerb and rides where I would. On TACC, there is a slowing approaching a parked car but once alongside there is no more panicking or pointless braking.
Thus far it is driving much better in places it’s not intended to and my expectation is it will drive better where it is intended.
There are two places on the A47 that it goes awry; one is a central area for turning right. The car shows an intent to go into that turn lane and shouldn’t.
The other is just a left turn on a slight bend. I always get the impression it will mount the kerb at the turn. The latter I’ll test as we are going that way tomorrow. The other will have to wait. At this point I’m genuinely pleased to see an identifiable improvement. The question is how will the car perform when the pillar cameras start having their annual condensation baths!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and goRt
This is my only concern really - and only because both are very sub-standard
There is certainly some diversity in how our wipers behave on auto. I’ve never had any real issues with mine but to others they are a nightmare. No idea why.
The auto high beam is rubbish and that seems to be global. At least we can shut them off to a degree.
In the short term it’s manageable for me.

There is certainly some diversity in how our wipers behave on auto. I’ve never had any real issues with mine but to others they are a nightmare. No idea why.
Some of it could be related to the washer fluid used. I put a different fluid in this time and it tends to leave a little haze after it is wiped off that slowly dissipates. But the auto wipers think that haze is bad and wipe before it fully goes away, which starts the haze/fade process over. But I only have that problem after using the washers, the rest of the time the auto wipers have been fine.

Reactions: Dilly and goRt
Please could someone (preferably a couple of people) with 24.6 tell me definitively what the answer to this query is:
  • you are driving at night in an area where high beam is not going to be required, and you activate Autosteer..... consequently the auto high beam function comes on automatically, but (as you are not in an area where high beam is detected as being required) only low beam is actually on
  • then you push the left stalk forward to turn off the auto high beam function
  • the question is... can you then use the left stalk to manually turn on a persistent high beam without a) having to continually hold the stalk towards you and b) without reactivating auto high beam?
cheers

the question is... can you then use the left stalk to manually turn on a persistent high beam without a) having to continually hold the stalk towards you and b) without reactivating auto high beam?
No. Pushing the stalk forward just re-enables auto-high beams. (I have a vehicle that has always been Tesla Vision, it is possible it works differently on one that started with radar, but I doubt it.)

Last edited:
No. Pushing the stalk forward just re-enables auto-high beams. (I have a vehicle that has always been Tesla Vision, it is possible it works differently on one that started with radar, but I doubt it.)
Thanks - this is what I thought. This is how I'm sure auto high beams effectively operate in my pre-24.6 car (or any 3 or Y), and is essentially why I turned off auto HB in about week 2 of ownership, and vowed never to turn it back on.

It's just dangerous like that.

Even if it the auto element worked really well 99% of the time (we wish), it simply must give the driver a way of immediately and easily activating a persistent high beam for any times where it mistakenly turns high beam off (eg thinking reflected light from sharp corner signs is another car).

On the contrary, the only way it seems you can be guaranteed to get high beam back immediately is to continually pull the stalk towards you - which is just completely ridiculous. Try doing that whilst steering around that sharp corner..

1662240047794.png
1662240227926.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Please could someone (preferably a couple of people) with 24.6 tell me definitively what the answer to this query is:
  • you are driving at night in an area where high beam is not going to be required, and you activate Autosteer..... consequently the auto high beam function comes on automatically, but (as you are not in an area where high beam is detected as being required) only low beam is actually on
  • then you push the left stalk forward to turn off the auto high beam function
  • the question is... can you then use the left stalk to manually turn on a persistent high beam without a) having to continually hold the stalk towards you and b) without reactivating auto high beam?
cheers
Observations from a daytime drive:
Engaging AP turns on AHB but also brings up light controls applet so there is brief period to turn AHB on and off negating use on AHB
Can be done each time AP is engaged.

The drive was generally better and more assertive but there were several minor PB’s for no discernable reason plus a couple where the car in front moved into a central turn lane.
Now here’s a sur-ring thing, On a two way road and indeed D/C, NO ONCOMING TRAFFIC APPEARS IN THE VISUALISATION while cones in the opposite kerb do! Cars overtaking do appear. An oncoming car waiting to turn left in a central turn lane is not visualised but a car heading from my direction in the same central turn lane waiting to turn right, is visualised.
The car did not try to head up the curb in the one spot it used to.

All in all, not a bad drive

Now here’s a sur-ring thing, On a two way road and indeed D/C, NO ONCOMING TRAFFIC APPEARS IN THE VISUALISATION while cones in the opposite kerb do! Cars overtaking do appear. An oncoming car waiting to turn left in a central turn lane is not visualised but a car heading from
Is that different from your previous observations?

I'm a bit lost as to where we are up to.

In one post it was suggested only cars manufactured post April 22 have AHB and AW forced on with AP.

Are we saying that's incorrect?
Every car that installs 2022.20.9 or 2022.24.6 will have AHB and AW forced on with AP.

Cars made after circa April 2022 (without radar) were already on Tesla Vision so had the above applied already.

The above updates bring every 3 (I assume all Ys were Vision only) up to parity with new cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: BillN and browellm
Is that different from your previous observations?

Very much so. Pre 24.6 car was visualising about 50% of oncoming traffic. Now it‘s none
It is seeing all vehicles facing in the direction I’m travelling.

Are newer vision only cars experiencing this?

Observations from a daytime drive:
Engaging AP turns on AHB but also brings up light controls applet so there is brief period to turn AHB on and off negating use on AHB
Can be done each time AP is engaged.
Thanks. But personally this isn’t a satisfactory solution for me - having to use the screen each time AP is engaged.

The dection networks are known to be speed dependent and the visualisation seems to be similar.

When you're doing about 30 it shows nearly every car in both directions, but on faster, wider roads you see less. I wondered if it might be to stop destructing grey boxes whizzing past in your periphery(?)

Re performance in NoA, the detection range has definitely increased but it's nosier. I've had more phantom lane change suggestions, but it is now able to suggest a lane change before having to slow down for the car in front.

Would really like some further confirmation of behaviour in the dark - about what’s possible just using the stalk.

ie. Whether on 24.6 it’s at all possible for the driver to choose to turn on a persistent high beam, without a) having to touch the screen and b) touching the stalk for more than half a second.

Every car that installs 2022.20.9 or 2022.24.6 will have AHB and AW forced on with AP.

Cars made after circa April 2022 (without radar) were already on Tesla Vision so had the above applied already.

The above updates bring every 3 (I assume all Ys were Vision only) up to parity with new cars.
I'm still on 2022.20.8 and don't have forced high beam or wipers