Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found auto beam to always work fine on my model s. I say fine.. They switch on even on a lit road.. But they do dip either behind another car or when someone is coming opposite so no massive complaints.
Now wipers: occasionally work perfectly, but most of the time their either don't switch on in a downpour, or switch on max speed with a couple of droplets on the screen.

Interestingly enough on my last download I got the update that tells me sat nav now has coloured markings to advise of Busy sections of road, however I must have had that for the previous three updates. Only on the latest update it told me I had it in the notes

Reactions: melduk
I can also confirm that efficiency has greatly improved since 24.6 since the car is quite smooth with braking like a ninja. Lane switching is also as seamless as 24.6 with 24.8. You need to fully press the indicator wait 1-2 seconds and then gently hold the steering.

IMG_20220910_153131.jpg

Updated to .6 this morning. The download got stuck at 50% for a couple of hours but eventually completed. The regen and alarm issue seems to have been resolved.

The blind spot camera repositioning is a welcome change. I actually prefer it on the map rather than on the instrument section.

Got the Vision notes but haven’t been on the the motorway today so can’t test its use. I don’t have EAP/FSD so as long as AP works I’m good.

I’ve been using the car all day so it’s barely gone to sleep, but it’s clear from other threads that the regular wakes haven’t improved. I think that’s more to do with the iOS version of the app rather than the car though.

Overall better than the previous update…so far.

I had a test drive to check out lane change and auto high beam on 24.8.
Lane change was still quicker than it used to be but the road was pretty empty.
The lights are still pretty dire. On the D/C there was little regard for oncoming traffic and I got flashed twice.
For cars in front it was ok.
on my two way test track it was quick to respond to oncoming cars but took 3 seconds to come back on. Too long.
It also still dips for some road signs and all bend chevrons.
Worse still, with high beam, it picks up every 30 sign on side roads along my 50 and 60 road!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Have done about 100 miles in the dark along a French motorway (+ about another 350 mixed day light miles).

Generally, the update is great, so far…autopilot seems generally better (although some of this could well be down to the lovely French roads) and .. and the other UI improvements are positive.

But…the auto high beam thing is bad.

Not unusably bad in France thanks to nice quiet roads which don’t require too many lane changes, but I can see it being a bit of a nightmare in the UK, especially with the amount of lane changes needed to legally navigate your way around the hoards of middle lane twits.

These are the key points (some of which I’m sure ppl already know):

• the auto high beam function is now activated whenever (every single time) auto pilot is activated (when the lights are on)
  • it does not matter what the main light settings have been set and saved as
  • it is possible to deactivate auto high beam (by pushing the stalk forward) after it has automatically been activated as a consequence of engaging autopilot, but this has to be repeated every single time AP is re-engaged when the lights are on.
  • once deactivated, it does (as far as I can tell so far) stay deactivated until that AP stint has ended and a new one begins. eg, the next lane change
  • if, when engaging AP, the car thinks the conditions are met for high beam, then high beam will be illuminated immediately when engaging AP (this is one of the key problems because, as most of us know, the car is often very bad at correctly deciding if the conditions are met !)
  • Even if you ‘synchronise’ engaging AP and immediately pushing forward on the left stalk to deactivate auto HB, it’s impossible to sometimes avoid an involuntary flash of high beams at other drivers….because the car simply is not good enough at detecting when there is another vehicle in front of it (both coming towards and and travelling the same direction). It was especially bad for vehicles coming towards us on the opposite carriage way of the French motorway - just plain ignored several cars on a few occasions until embarrassment got the better of me and I had to intervene.
  • if, when (of after) engaging AP, the car thinks the conditions are NOT met for high beam, then the auto high beam function will be active, but high beams will not be illuminated. The major problem here is, again, that the car is often bad at making the correct decision, and if the driver determines in these circumstances they do actually want high beams there is no way for them to turn on a persistent high beam whilst remaining in AP (other than continually pulling the left stalk back as if to do a very, very long flash of the lights). (Pushing the stalk forward simply re-activates the auto high beam function.
  • IME so far, it’s very, very easy to forget about wanting/needing to deactivate auto HB after each AP engagement. Other motorists are going to end up being dazzled because of this.
Overall the experience is going to be pretty bad on moderately busy motorways and dual carriageways, where fairly frequent lane changes are required (if you aren’t a truck slip streamer or a “fast lane” speed demon).

A busy motorway will probably be okay most of the time (depending on terrain / height of barrier etc) because, even if you don’t bother turning off auto high beam after a lane change, the amount of lights will mean the car has to be spectacularly wrong to miss all of them and flash the high beams when engaging AP.

And a quiet motorway is likely to be mostly okay, because the number of lane changes will be much lower (so deactivating auto HB each time isn’t such a chore), and the chance of the car flashing someone else when you activate AP is much smaller.

But, moderately busy roads could be pretty horrible I reckon, unless you a) just stay put mostly in a particular lane, or b) don’t mind pushing the stalk forward after every lane change… and don’t mind your car momentarily flashing other vehicles when doing so, or c) just don’t care at all / don’t notice the drivers flashing their lights back at you.

Last edited:
Reactions: OttoR
Updated to 24.8 this afternoon & on drive into work tonight (unsure if placebo) the auto high beam switch-off seemed noticeably faster.
On the few occasions I thought it was taking too long & risk of blinding someone, I went to switch off and autoHB had disengaged before I managed to push the stalk forwards.

Updated to 24.8 this afternoon & on drive into work tonight (unsure if placebo) the auto high beam switch-off seemed noticeably faster.
On the few occasions I thought it was taking too long & risk of blinding someone, I went to switch off and autoHB had disengaged before I managed to push the stalk forwards.
Perhaps the AI controlling the main beam is in reality looking from the cabin camera at you reaching forward for the light switch and electronically thinking to itself "oops what's he doing ... aha I'll dip the lights" :)

Previously the wiper AI was doing a similar thing - watching you reaching for the wiper button and electronically thinking to itself "oops what's he doing ... aha I'll wipe the window" :)

My trip from Southampton to west London this afternoon started with excessive automated dry windscreen wiping session with no ability to override it.
Not tried fighting with the high beam yet as it hadn't got dark enough to need them.
Otherwise Autopilot gave me no other troubles today and as others have mentioned lane changes seemed to be better and quicker.