Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well with enough complaints, going into winter, Tesla will have to do something. Maybe fix the wipers and lights (unlikely) or just not use these features when on Autopilot.
Autowipers worked fine on 2022.20.8 and Auto High Beam did ok too, and where not you could operate it manually.

Both these features don't need radar to function, they both rely on the camera(s); so it has nothing to do with Vision Only.

Rather the other way around that Vision only needs the wipers and high beam to operate in poor conditions, where previously it could rely on the radar input.

So quite easy fix to reinstate the settings/code back to 20.8 for wipers and beam and then it works fine for most conditions.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Well, as far as AHB is concerend the TMC forum is up in arms. Tesla Owners U.K. on Facebook are up in arms. Twitter is on fire.This problem is global, it seems.
It seems that in a few instances some auto high beams perform well.
In a majority of cases they are simply too dangerously unreliable.
I assume that ‘vision only’ needs a clean screen and good lighting to see where it’s going just like we do.
Sadly, like most things Tesla, the move to vision wasn’t planned and trying to bolster it with hardware and software that probably isn’t right or even capable of doing the job, is going to end in failure.
I don’t know how well it performs in the FSD beta at night, if it’s not exponentially better, it‘s all going to go base over apex!
My investment in FSD was halved by EAP and what remains of it is now unusable at night.
I think we can reasonably certain that owner pressure and bad press will force Tesla to allow disabling AHB but you watch, doing so will shove a big disclaimer warning on the screen.

Oh and one more thing. The combination of vision and AHB now picks out and responds to just about every speed limit sign for side roads along a route!

Mitch, the “easy bug report” method you describe apparently goes nowhere! If you have to have a service request it marks the record and they can examine it to see what was going on at that time, but nothing leaves your car.

I recall this being discussed last year after I had done as you did for a few weeks.

The FSD beta testers in the USA have a report button on their screen that does report back to the mother ship as it is what they are actively seeking. They are not seeking any feedback from us minions in the UK!

Not what has been happening today. This is driving down a fully exposed French motorway in the middle of the day in full sun, with literally no shadows to speak of. Never experienced this before.

Turning on the dipped lights in broad day light I could just about deal with, but when it now, with the auto-auto high beam means bloody full beam in perfect day time weather, that is just completely ridiculous, not to mention being another area where this shoddy implementation is potentially dangerous - a) because other vehicles may think they are being flashed for some reason; b) it may trigger aggression in other drivers; and c) it’s another thing I have to have manage and interact with when there should be absolutely no need to even be thinking about lights in the middle of the bloody day.

It’s a complete shambles!
Any pictures? It is working fine for me with 24.8. Auto high beam setting could be on but the car doesn't use the high beam in day time.

Well, as far as AHB is concerend the TMC forum is up in arms. Tesla Owners U.K. on Facebook are up in arms. Twitter is on fire.
I assume that ‘vision only’ needs a clean screen and good lighting to see where it’s going just like we do.
Sadly, like most things Tesla, the move to vision wasn’t planned and trying to bolster it with hardware and software that probably isn’t right or even capable of doing the job, is going to end in failure.
I don’t know how well it performs in the FSD beta at night, if it’s not exponentially better, it‘s all going to go base over apex!
My investment in FSD was halved by EAP and what remains of it is now unusable at night.
I think we can reasonably certain that owner pressure and bad press will force Tesla to allow disabling AHB but you watch, doing so will shove a big disclaimer warning on the screen.

Oh and one more thing. The combination of vision and AHB now picks out and responds to just about every speed limit sign for side roads along a route!
Hilariously, it is the same people on TMC who are complaining on Twitter as well. It has become so ridiculous that Elon makes a complete random tweet and people respond with rants related to auto high beam, delivery delays and so on.

I’m going to put off this update for as long as I can. First time I’ve even considered it but as much as I desire the new camera position this isn’t worth the hassle. Tesla qc appears to have been abandoned.
24.8 is rock solid. Take the update and you wont regret it. The issues reported with AHB and auto wipers aren't new but many are seeing for the first time due to radar removal. 24.8 handles the high beam very well by dipping very quickly.

Well, as far as AHB is concerend the TMC forum is up in arms. Tesla Owners U.K. on Facebook are up in arms. Twitter is on fire.This problem is global, it seems.

The only feature you get in FSD over EAP is stopping at green and red traffic lights 😱

Can't believe A̶u̶t̶o̶p̶i̶l̶o̶t̶ PhantomBrake mode still brings my car to a crawl on the A249 to Maidstone. 4 years and this has not improved.

The autolights are terrible. You can turn them off after every PhantomBrake mode engagement, but the car is getting worse with software updates.

Reactions: CWT3LR and goRt
24.8 is rock solid. Take the update and you wont regret it. The issues reported with AHB and auto wipers aren't new but many are seeing for the first time due to radar removal. 24.8 handles the high beam very well by dipping very quickly.
It isn’t that rock solid. It still brakes for no reason and dips the lights for bend chevrons and road signs.
Generally the drive in daylight is better.
Lets not forget that the forward camera in a Y is higher than a 3. Perhaps it has a better perspective.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
What I don't get on a fundamental level is that how come other cars can see distant rear lights, with one camera (or maybe just a light sensor?) and our cars can't? Presumably it means the car can't "see" those cars at all?

The few times I've used AHB it has left them on far longer than I would be comfortable driving up behind someone.

I've got an early start tomorrow, my first drive on 2022.24.6, and there's a 50% chance of rain too... should be interesting.

What I don't get on a fundamental level is that how come other cars can see distant rear lights, with one camera (or maybe just a light sensor?) and our cars can't? Presumably it means the car can't "see" those cars at all?

The few times I've used AHB it has left them on far longer than I would be comfortable driving up behind someone.

I've got an early start tomorrow, my first drive on 2022.24.6, and there's a 50% chance of rain too... should be interesting.
There is a sometimes it can and sometimes it can’t element. Clearly, the way it analyses what it sees is not yet consistent.
crash barrier heights and different lane levels are also a factor. A Y and an X camera may have a better line of sight than a 3 or S.

Surely radar is not involved in wipers or auto high beam! People were complaining about these aspects years before the prospect of dropping radar was ever even thought of. My wipers have always been OK with a clean screen and during the day ... at night time it's a different story ... my radar has certainly never helped! I have no idea about auto headlights because I haven't bothered to even try them for about a year. In respect of anyone who feels that their car is dangerous using auto high beams ... why are you still using them?! Yes, you paid for the feature and it's therefore reasonable to pursue the issue but if you judge them to be dangerous you can't then continue to use them!

Reactions: init6 and Ozboz7
If we avoid conflation of auto high beam performance and the new functionality available in software update 2022.24, is it fair to say you may wish to avoid this update if the following apply to you?

1. Your car is currently equipped with radar
2. You have auto high beams disabled and/or auto wipers
3. You use autopilot, particularly at night

And to a lesser extent....

4. You don't own EAP/FSD (so don't need to deactivate AHB or Auto Wipers each overtake)

Reactions: BillN
Surely radar is not involved in wipers or auto high beam! People were complaining about these aspects years before the prospect of dropping radar was ever even thought of. My wipers have always been OK with a clean screen and during the day ... at night time it's a different story ... my radar has certainly never helped! I have no idea about auto headlights because I haven't bothered to even try them for about a year. In respect of anyone who feels that their car is dangerous using auto high beams ... why are you still using them?! Yes, you paid for the feature and it's therefore reasonable to pursue the issue but if you judge them to be dangerous you can't then continue to use them!
The new updates that does not use the radar enables AHB and Auto Wipers each time you activate AutoPilot.

We assumes that as the camera is now fully responsible for detecting obstacles that they decided this would be a good idea, but now we can't as easily override the auto settings when they are not working perfectly. I generally have little issue with either, but on a long trip into London on a hot day a few weeks ago I guess a bug splat itself just by the cameras so that the wipers fully enabled, but were not able to move the bug however much I squirted etc. The end result was I had to stop using AP until I could stop and clean the screen.

I don't mind these features not being perfect when I could override their behavior, now you can with the AHB (each time you activate AP) but not with the AutoWipers.

My understanding is that it's only been very recently that cars have either been on Tesla Vision to begin with (no radar installed) or have been moved to it (2022.20.9 or 2022.24.6 onwards). So, there was presumably a fairly small number of owners who were suffering from it. FSD beta owners had to suffer it as well, I think, but they're hardly likely to complain vocally lest they lose their access.

As for FSD - I'm still umming and ahhing about the possibility of a small claim for FSD features being promised and undelivered. I suspect I won't get anywhere asking Tesla UK for a refund for it, or a downgrade to EAP, but I'll do that as a first bounce. I can't see UK owners getting FSD beta within the practical lifetime of the car (e.g. another 3-5 years, very optimistically), and thus not getting "Automatic driving on city streets" as promised back in 2020, maybe earlier.

Reactions: Cardo and CWT3LR
They are not seeking any feedback from us minions in the UK!
...or the rest of Europe. I am very unhappy with the purchase I made for FSD two years ago. It wasn't fit for purpose then and isn't now. What's more, I can't even consider it an 'investment'. I'm buying a new car and trading in my LR with Tesla. I've received nothing extra in terms of trade-in value for FSD and it isn't carried over to my new M3P. I'm buying my new car to experience and enjoy the hardware...I'm certainly not paying 7500€ extra for 'Recognition and reaction to traffic lights and stop signs' with Automated City Driving 'Coming'. Once bitten...etc.

Mitch, the “easy bug report” method you describe apparently goes nowhere! If you have to have a service request it marks the record and they can examine it to see what was going on at that time, but nothing leaves your car.

I recall this being discussed last year after I had done as you did for a few weeks.

The FSD beta testers in the USA have a report button on their screen that does report back to the mother ship as it is what they are actively seeking. They are not seeking any feedback from us minions in the UK!
Oh wow! Been eating my time for 8 months then! Thanks for the info 👍🏻

My understanding is that it's only been very recently that cars have either been on Tesla Vision to begin with (no radar installed) or have been moved to it (2022.20.9 or 2022.24.6 onwards). So, there was presumably a fairly small number of owners who were suffering from it.

At least over here Model 3 and Model Y vehicles started coming with Tesla Vision starting in May of 2021, so there are a lot of them on the road here.

No idea why they would take away control from users being able to set 1 car distance unless they no longer believe there cars are safe to do this,
So frustrating on cruise/overtake when the car starts slowing about 100 metres back. On my 2009 Jaguar I had intelligent cruise control that worked far more efficiently allowing me to easily change the distance between the car in front from the wheel while I was driving.