Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK]2022.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK yes, point taken. Side mirrors work for parking and that's what I end up using the majority of the time. I'd still like my £50k car with 'technology years ahead of it's competitors' to get the simple stuff right.
The real problem with Teslas is the inconsistency with failures. My cameras work a treat, yours don't. Look around this forum and you'll see plenty of examples of people having problems and lots of other people chiming in with the opposite experience. I like to think the staggered role out of software upgrades is an attempt to drill down on some of the software issues, but I'm not that convinced.

Reactions: DM206433
The real problem with Teslas is the inconsistency with failures. My cameras work a treat, yours don't. Look around this forum and you'll see plenty of examples of people having problems and lots of other people chiming in with the opposite experience. I like to think the staggered role out of software upgrades is an attempt to drill down on some of the software issues, but I'm not that convinced.
Yeah you'd presume that they'd be prioritising bugs like this in some manner. I didn't have any issues with the first release of V11, but then started getting camera stuttering with .11 - will see how we go, a few 2022 updates are now rolling so I'm hopeful.

Reactions: init6
That's nonsense. Have you ever driven a van? They have much worse rear visibility than Teslas yet somehow people could and can park them without cameras and sensors.
Have to say I agree with this.

I'm a bit aghast at people blindly relying on cameras and even the sensors for positioning. At the risk of sounding "kids today", when I passed my test rear view cameras weren't even a thing, and even ultrasonics were pretty new tech. I had to use mirrors and have spatial awareness of the extents of the vehicle! I still have to do that with cars that don't have cameras and/or parking sensors.

I will admit to being a bit blasé sometimes with looking at the screen for parking distance, but I keep catching myself and reverting back to the mirrors, etc.

Reactions: init6 and Drew57
Have to say I agree with this.

I'm a bit aghast at people blindly relying on cameras and even the sensors for positioning. At the risk of sounding "kids today", when I passed my test rear view cameras weren't even a thing, and even ultrasonics were pretty new tech. I had to use mirrors and have spatial awareness of the extents of the vehicle! I still have to do that with cars that don't have cameras and/or parking sensors.

I will admit to being a bit blasé sometimes with looking at the screen for parking distance, but I keep catching myself and reverting back to the mirrors, etc.
Likewise, when I passed my test electric windows were considered posh... I'm not too worried about being able to park the car personally, it just irks me that these tech features don't work properly and with more and more Teslas on the roads now it's going to cause bumps and scrapes which I don't want to be on the receiving end of.

Reactions: init6 and Durzel
Likewise, when I passed my test electric windows were considered posh... I'm not too worried about being able to park the car personally, it just irks me that these tech features don't work properly and with more and more Teslas on the roads now it's going to cause bumps and scrapes which I don't want to be on the receiving end of.
When I passed my test, windows were considered posh 😂

My first 'car'
ebay365348.jpg

I honestly don't care what tech is used, be that radar, ultrasonic, cameras, AI, telepathy, etc - as long as it works well. It currently doesn't.
I care what tech is used, so it is not one size fits all - you may solely care about the functionality in a car as long as it works. There are others who care about form (lots of people still buy alfa, Jaguar and Land rover even though there are so many electronic gremlins in those cars), some care about form and function and few others care about the tech used rather than just the functioning of it.

The main issue is the vocal minority of people in the forum seems to want Tesla to do what other car manufacturers have been doing it for years as their argument is that thing works. That may be true. But the real truth is Tesla is a software company that also make cars and Tesla could have easily failed in 2009 when they took a stand on manufacturing electric cars with a tech that is completely new based on AI philosophy. Now, that bet worked and you can see the demand for Tesla and its products now with its market value exceeding the combined market value of BMW, VW, Ford and GM. And here is the final nail in the traditional car manufacturers coffin - once Tesla comes up with structural battery pack it is hard for the Germans to beat Tesla irrespective of their perfect autowipers, headlights, optional cupholders and any kind of freebies!

I'm with you, having learned to drive on an old Fiat 500 that didn't even have side mirrors. But, but, but - you could see the ends. And lean over and see the passenger side! I'm not tall (though not egregiously short); I don't drive with a low seat and "knuckle vision"; but I cant see the nearside rear wheels when reverse parking my M3. The curve of the haunches over the rear wheels (the best design feature IMO) makes it impossible. So the soundtrack of my reverse parking is bong-bong-bong-grind- "*&%*!!!!".
It's the curse of modern car design and the fashion for rubber band tyres.

The main issue is the vocal minority of people in the forum seems to want Tesla to do what other car manufacturers have been doing it for years as their argument is that thing works.

No, I think you’re missing the point slightly. I’m all for Tesla’s mission and I do really like my car and everything it does well - and that’s a lot of stuff. It’s why I bought a Tesla over a BMW, etc.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that Tesla should just do what every other manufacturer is/has been doing, but what I am suggesting is that it’s wrong to say that some of the things that other manufacturers do aren’t better, and that Tesla can’t learn from or utilise that.

Would the auto wipers be better by using a traditional method of detection? Absolutely.

Would features like the automatic high beams be better if they utilised the same methods as, say, BMW and Audi do? 100%

Should Tesla, as a software company as you say, be able to get something as simple as a reversing camera to work without stuttering? Yes they should.

I want the best of everything in my car. It’s as simple as that. I accept the Model 3 for what it is because it’s so good at the things that matter a lot, but I still want it to be better. There’s nothing wrong with that. And there’s nothing wrong with the ‘vocal minority’ talking about it on a forum either.

I also want Tesla to be unique...and not follow the legacy car manufacturers...however I also want to have every feature that a modern hi end car has and more...so much more...this I realize is a big ask....but I am happy in the knowledge that one day all that I wish for will get downloaded to my car😀...yes, I know..🥺

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that Tesla should just do what every other manufacturer is/has been doing, but what I am suggesting is that it’s wrong to say that some of the things that other manufacturers do aren’t better, and that Tesla can’t learn from or utilise that.

Would the auto wipers be better by using a traditional method of detection? Absolutely.

Would features like the automatic high beams be better if they utilised the same methods as, say, BMW and Audi do? 100%
It is this ‘short termism’ that makes businesses not wanting to innovate as they are worried about the profits if the tech doesn’t work! I am happy that Tesla/Elon did not fall in that same trap!
And there’s nothing wrong with the ‘vocal minority’ talking about it on a forum either.

Hmmm…I thought the vocal minority has been talking ‘only’ about this and that is the issue!

It is this ‘short termism’ that makes businesses not wanting to innovate as they are worried about the profits if the tech doesn’t work! I am happy that Tesla/Elon did not fall in that same trap!
I just don't understand what you're getting at. I'm happy that Tesla are pushing forward and innovating with things like full self drive, but as long as Tesla are happy to prioritise features like 'choosing what colour your car appears in the user interface', or 'light show' over fixing potentially dangerous bugs, like the reverse camera stuttering - then maybe Tesla could do with looking at the present a bit more rather than the future, for everyone's sake.