Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I think it's actually harder than they may have anticipated, and regressing at this point on Vision will be a major reputation hit, so they just have to plough on.
Agreed. It's hard because the camera isn't focused on the screen so cannot see the rain clearly as it's primary function is to look beyond. Something we can't do with our eyes because once there is a lot of water on the screen we just focus on it and cannot see beyond.

Reactions: Rustybkts
Agreed. It's hard because the camera isn't focused on the screen so cannot see the rain clearly as it's primary function is to look beyond. Something we can't do with our eyes because once there is a lot of water on the screen we just focus on it and cannot see beyond.
I can look at a video from the camera and tell if it's raining and if the screen needs to be wiped faster or slower. That's how NN work.

I kind of agree they can probably solve this at some point or get it good enough. However with only a finite amount of compute to train their models, I think they’ve focused on FSD Beta and ignored trying to fix rain.

I wonder if the cost of solving this is less than the cost of putting a rain sensor in all their cars of course. Not sure Tesla is too bothered, it’s more they want as many parts of their cars to be in house and they don’t make rain sensors.
FSD can never work acceptably unless the car can ‘see’ satisfactorily in less than perfect visibility. Not only can it not reliably decide whether the screen needs wiping but the cameras are blinded by sun when our eyes can cope ok. It can’t decide that the cameras can’t see because it is dark and autopilot gives up in low visibility when we can drive quite happily albeit at a reduced speed.

Reactions: Pagemakers
FSD can never work acceptably unless the car can ‘see’ satisfactorily in less than perfect visibility. Not only can it not reliably decide whether the screen needs wiping but the cameras are blinded by sun when our eyes can cope ok. It can’t decide that the cameras can’t see because it is dark and autopilot gives up in low visibility when we can drive quite happily albeit at a reduced speed.
That’s a strong statement to say it can never work acceptably. It’s clearly got a way to go but to say that mankind will never solve the problem of self driving is a bit strong. We will do it, it’s just a matter of when and not if in my view.

That’s a strong statement to say it can never work acceptably. It’s clearly got a way to go but to say that mankind will never solve the problem of self driving is a bit strong. We will do it, it’s just a matter of when and not if in my view.
Perhaps I should have said FSD will never work acceptably on the current generation of Teslas. There is no system of cleaning any of the cameras other than those in the windscreen and it seems that the other cameras are needed for lane keeping at least. The removal of forward looking radar won’t help the problem of looking forward into low sun, fog or heavy rain/spray. I thought we would see autonomous cars before I got my first Tesla 4 years ago. I’ve become increasingly pessimistic since as I’ve handled more and more situations that I couldn’t imagine a fully autonomous vehicle managing. Autonomous driving 95% of the time maybe but the other 5% probably requires 99% of the problems.

Perhaps I should have said FSD will never work acceptably on the current generation of Teslas. There is no system of cleaning any of the cameras other than those in the windscreen and it seems that the other cameras are needed for lane keeping at least. The removal of forward looking radar won’t help the problem of looking forward into low sun, fog or heavy rain/spray. I thought we would see autonomous cars before I got my first Tesla 4 years ago. I’ve become increasingly pessimistic since as I’ve handled more and more situations that I couldn’t imagine a fully autonomous vehicle managing. Autonomous driving 95% of the time maybe but the other 5% probably requires 99% of the problems.
When you look at the cameras overall, there isn’t a single one that is up to the task of operating in all conditions:
The rear gets dirty within a couple of miles whether wet or dry.
The pillar cameras can’t take direct sunlight, can’t operate in darkness and suffer condensation for much of the winter
The wing cameras are poorly placed and suffer light bleed at night from the indicators ( older models only) they do stay reasonably clean.
Front cameras are affected by direct sun, rain, dirt and bugs. At least the wipers keep them clear 😂

To be honest I thought it wouldn’t happen in my life time but FSD Beta in the US did surprise me. Not perfect but further along than I thought possible. Similar to when ChatGPT came out, took me by surprise.

Agree it won’t happen with current hardware. Not just the cameras but I suspect that remaining 5% will need more compute power in the car than the other 95% also. They won’t be powerful enough.

However if you say another 10 years. Not sure I’d bet against that, Elon’s brother who also works at Tesla recently said 5 years. He might be a bit optimistic but he’s also access to seeing behind the curtain to know far better than us. Elon also knows, he’s just a one man sales machine though. He’ll say anything to shift some more cars now.

I go in and out of Auto Steer on the motorway as I change lanes. Bing bong etc.

Today was misty and the wiper AI was asleep so I set it to manual 3.
Then for a clear patch I would set it to auto.
But it repeatedly set itself back to 3 after a minute or so.
I wondered if me going in and out of AP was bugging it out.

I've never set them manually before but surely this is a bug, anyone else?

At this point I'm thinking of pulling a string loop through the windows attached to the blades.

Last week on the M4 north of Bristol. Autopilot disengaging, system error. So I take over. Then I realise all the lights are out and I have to try to get into a refuge area on a busy rush hour (I was in lane 2 of 3) to stop and reboot. Still not sure what happened. Did they just get set to off?

Last week on the M4 north of Bristol. Autopilot disengaging, system error. So I take over. Then I realise all the lights are out and I have to try to get into a refuge area on a busy rush hour (I was in lane 2 of 3) to stop and reboot. Still not sure what happened. Did they just get set to off?
Are you on the correct software version thread? The latest version, 2024.2.* appears to have a fault that can cause the AP computer to crash. This can lead to various different symptoms, such as auto lights not working. There’s been many reports of this on the 2024.2 thread.

Are you on the correct software version thread? The latest version, 2024.2.* appears to have a fault that can cause the AP computer to crash. This can lead to various different symptoms, such as auto lights not working. There’s been many reports of this on the 2024.2 thread.
This version:
2023.44.30.8 06f534d46010

I also had an issue on the same trip when I parked in Reading services and the sentry logo came up as I returned to the car and then it was stuck on the screen in front of the map. After another reboot, that was gone.

None of this was confidence inspiring.

That's precisely why I didn't "invest" in FSD on one of the early 2019 Model 3s. Having worked in instrumentation in an earlier life I knew that if the primary measuring equipment was dodgy or easily compromised, then whatever software you had behind the scenes wouldn't make much difference. My concern about the cameras being affected by sun, rain and general crud hasn't been resolved 4.5 years later - and pretty sure it won't be on this generation of cars. I still drive a Model Y, just don't really bother with any of the assisted driving stuff - it's either not working properly (e.g. rain) or too unpredictable. No surprise at all that folk are trying to get their cash back.

Today autowipers were the worst I've ever seen..

It was filthy weather. Chucking it down, so bad rear view was nonexistent and the pillar cameras were 'blocked or blinded' due to rain on them. What did the autowiper system do? Absolutely nothing. Wrong type of rain or something. I had to manually trigger it until I got bored and switched it on fixed speed.

Then coming back it brightened up.. the rain stopped.. and autowipers went on a rapid dry wiping spree.

It brightened my journey up, it was so comically bad I was laughing.

• Funny
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
Today autowipers were the worst I've ever seen..

It was filthy weather. Chucking it down, so bad rear view was nonexistent and the pillar cameras were 'blocked or blinded' due to rain on them. What did the autowiper system do? Absolutely nothing. Wrong type of rain or something. I had to manually trigger it until I got bored and switched it on fixed speed.

Then coming back it brightened up.. the rain stopped.. and autowipers went on a rapid dry wiping spree.

It brightened my journey up, it was so comically bad I was laughing.
And this guy can vertically land a rocket from space!

What did the autowiper system do? Absolutely nothing. Wrong type of rain or something. I had to manually trigger it until I got bored and switched it on fixed speed.
From a Bimmer forum:

Rain sensing wipers have been around for years but somehow BMW hasn't figured it out in 2021? This is what driving at 25 mph in persistent rain looks like with the highest setting on automatic. If you are lucky the wipers activate every 20 - 30 seconds.

This is a 2021 x5 and i'd give up hand gestures, led interior lights etc for basic functionality at this point. This isn't just frustrating, it is dangerous.

I'm really hoping other people with X5s on the forum can tell me this isn't normal but having done some searches I am concerned that it is.
Attached:
attachment.php