Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with that is the basic controls sometimes change between updates and it's not really mentioned anywhere

Now you’re grasping…
I'm not sure it's grasping, since the addition of steering wheel control of wiper speeds arrived around 8 months ago, and for me that was after I had bought my car. As a conscientious type before I took delivery I read and memorised the user manual from cover to cover but alas, this wasn't in it.

And in 8 months you never noticed the change? No matter as the previous way of pressing the wiper button on the stalk and tapping the screen to alter the setting still works as it always did. I find the toggle via the button on the wheel easier but it just added an extra way and didn’t remove anything.
If you saw my earlier post I mentioned that I was aware of it - having read the software release notes probably - but at some point it fell out of my brain because it was new and/or not often used. Many don't bother reading the release notes (see posts on here exclaiming surprise when things change) let alone the manual.

My point was that it's a valid observation to say that the controls can change between updates, and something that has always been done in one way (such as touching a screen to change the wiper speed) will probably keep being done that way due to familiarity.

A bunch of you are failing to admit that the Tesla way for essential controls is way more complex than it should be. You have to either press the stalk button for a wipe (which is fantastic user experience when what you're trying to do is prevent dry wiping), then you have to look away from the road to look at the screen to confirm which speed is selected, and either move your hand to the scroll wheel or to the screen (and in both cases to confirm what is selected you need to be looking at the screen, in a low-down position). Using the scroll wheel on its own to avoid the dry wipe scenario is slower than using the touch screen and still results in nags, IME.

This all stems from the idea that they could solve it all with AI, which they have abjectly failed at and had no back-up plan for. The wipers in the conditions on the M74 were absolutely hopeless and the frequency of intervention required was unacceptable, given that it's way more distracting than a simple stalk control could ever be.