Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been trying to download 2022.40.4.2 for the past two days and has been keeping it awake most of the time.
It was floating round the 5% mark for most of yesterday and as of now has only reached 58%.
When I last checked in the car it was downloading at an unreasonably leisurely 50kB/s! :(
Is it a big download?
It's costing me 6% per day in recharging - it does a big charge from 12:30 but then every hour afterwards has another short 1% charge until around 6am.
Wish I could just stop it now and download another time instead (assuming I can make it go faster then?).
Perhaps I should change the update mode back to standard as soon as this one's done.

I did try using my phone hotspot with the phone left in the car on Thursday but the data rate only increased to 60kB/sec so went back to my house wifi since I didn't want to leave my phone in the car all day.
Now it's at 85% battery SOC and is charging and there's no sign of the software download in the App.
I'll see if the software download resumes when it stops charging at 89/90%.

A few of the last bunch of software updates have been like this - very slow download, occasional restart at 50% eventually alerting me to install it.
My Sky broadband can download stuff at 8.3MB/s and there's a modest signal reaching the car.

Happy to report that this week, I've had auto high beams on for normal driving and for AP and it's been nearly flawless. It's a huge improvement over what it was like before.

The only time I've had to manually intervene is for when it decides to keep the auto high beams on even when driving through a well lit area with street lights (normal driving and AP), and for when I'm coming up to a junction and there are cars waiting to join from adjoining minor roads. It keeps the AHB on persistently, presumably blinding the poor drivers who want to join onto my road (the major road). It's also done this when I am coming up to a give way - I have to flick the stick to turn the AHB off because it'll quite happily sit there and blind traffic on the road I'm about to join or cross.

It can be a little bit slow to turn the high beams off when coming around corners and there are cars coming the other way (that are obvious due to how the foliage is lit, or because I've seen them a few seconds before from out a side window... I'm a lot quicker to react than the car is - and it's one of the things that enrages me when it is done to me by other drivers), but I've forced myself not to intervene and it does eventually switch them off, but probably 1-2 seconds later than I'd have liked.

• Informative
Reactions: Obie
Happy to report that this week, I've had auto high beams on for normal driving and for AP and it's been nearly flawless. It's a huge improvement over what it was like before.

The only time I've had to manually intervene is for when it decides to keep the auto high beams on even when driving through a well lit area with street lights (normal driving and AP), and for when I'm coming up to a junction and there are cars waiting to join from adjoining minor roads. It keeps the AHB on persistently, presumably blinding the poor drivers who want to join onto my road (the major road). It's also done this when I am coming up to a give way - I have to flick the stick to turn the AHB off because it'll quite happily sit there and blind traffic on the road I'm about to join or cross.

It can be a little bit slow to turn the high beams off when coming around corners and there are cars coming the other way (that are obvious due to how the foliage is lit, or because I've seen them a few seconds before from out a side window... I'm a lot quicker to react than the car is - and it's one of the things that enrages me when it is done to me by other drivers), but I've forced myself not to intervene and it does eventually switch them off, but probably 1-2 seconds later than I'd have liked.

I have definitely found the AHB to be hugely improved. Why it's taken three years from when I bought the car to reach an acceptable (not perfect, but acceptable) performance is mystifying. It's still a bit too slow to go back to full beam. It also now sees tail lights much further away.

Where it is *still* sub-standard relative to where this technology should be by now is that it still dips when it sees its own reflection in street signs. Really annoying behaviour.

Reactions: browellm
I have definitely found the AHB to be hugely improved. Why it's taken three years from when I bought the car to reach an acceptable (not perfect, but acceptable) performance is mystifying. It's still a bit too slow to go back to full beam. It also now sees tail lights much further away.

Where it is *still* sub-standard relative to where this technology should be by now is that it still dips when it sees its own reflection in street signs. Really annoying behaviour.

Yes I have also found it takes a long time go back onto AHB after dipping. But I'd much prefer it do that than the opposite. Agree that this tech should have come sooner - but I've been happy to manually control it up until now.

The true test will be when I drive down to Cornwall and see how many times I get flashed by lorry drivers on the other side of the road while going over Dartmoor and Bodmin.

This is really annoying when driving on rural country roads at night. Approach a bend and the reflection from the chevrons cause the lights to dip at exactly the moment you need high beam, and it’s too slow to come back on afterwards.

AHB is still not fit for purpose if high beam is consistently on in built up areas. Blinding pedestrians and cyclists is just as unacceptable as blinding other drivers.

Yes it has improved, but there’s still quite a way to go. And of course it’s still just bog standard AHB, not the much more complex matrix lights.

Guys with sentry issues, if you haven't already I'd get yourself an external USB SSD drive rather than a USB flash or SD card. It helps with file corruption and also has better access time for playback.

For others with sentry problem.. what specifically is your problem?

I'm on 40.4.1 and sentry mode will notify me there were events when I get back in my car but I'm unable to view any, even after intentionally triggering one myself. Dashcam is recording and seems to work.

I have 40.4.2 available now so might try upgrade and see if it fixes it again

on 2022.40.4.2 I Had an 86 mile round trip today, 95% on AP on A roads and dual carriageways.
It’s a journey I do about 10 times a year and this trip was unequivocally the best behaved autopilot drive I’ve had.
I had just one steering nag and that was the last mile of the return journey on a very straight stretch of D/C.
no spurious braking of any sort. It was just laid back and easy. All the FSD lane changes worked flawlessly. It’s a different car to a year ago.

However, the one spoiler was speed limits. Some off-limit signs were seen but simply ignored leaving me at 30, 40 or 50. In some places the car probably realised the error and despite my settings, allowed me to set the correct AP speed above the limit shown. In other areas it wouldn’t .
I had the heater on quite high and 86 actual miles cost 108 miles out of the battery. Not too bad.

PS. Blue cones with fluorescent green stripe are invisible. Only red ones show up 😂

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KennethS
Had 40.2 for a week now, only just driven any distance on the motorway this weekend.
Saturday midday, 15 minutes into my journey. tried to engage TACC and it looked like it was supposed to be operating, but it wasn't maintaining the set speed. A few miles later, the visualisation was replaced by a big red steering wheel and the message auto steer aborting. Stopped at the next services for a reboot. Didn't fix the TACC, so carried on to my destination. Another reboot and tried the changing languages for the loss of speed limits, no difference on the return leg.
Sunday night it behaved itself and used EAP tonight on the way back, just it seems to be closer to the left line for the lane. Wipers weren't as annoying as before, I have AHB turned off and it stayed off.