Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a regular Autopilot user but at the weekend did some long motorway runs. As per reports from others it was a much smoother experience than on any previous occasions I have used it. In addition to maintaining the lane positioning there were no panics when passing large HGVs and no instances of unexpected sudden slowing or braking. Some of the miles were as darkness fell and there were no issues adapting to the changing light levels. Earlier in the day I had caused a car panic when I saw that the lights were on in circumstances where I felt they were unnecessary ... I was on Autopilot but "in a moment of madness" decided to switch them to off ... instead of simply putting up a message saying I'm not allowed to do that anymore it did switch off the lights but then immediately gave me the nuclear warning klaxons and flashing screen saying Autopilot unavailable TAKE CONTROL! A more graceful management of that situation should be easy to achieve!

I'm not a regular Autopilot user but at the weekend did some long motorway runs. As per reports from others it was a much smoother experience than on any previous occasions I have used it. In addition to maintaining the lane positioning there were no panics when passing large HGVs and no instances of unexpected sudden slowing or braking. Some of the miles were as darkness fell and there were no issues adapting to the changing light levels. Earlier in the day I had caused a car panic when I saw that the lights were on in circumstances where I felt they were unnecessary ... I was on Autopilot but "in a moment of madness" decided to switch them to off ... instead of simply putting up a message saying I'm not allowed to do that anymore it did switch off the lights but then immediately gave me the nuclear warning klaxons and flashing screen saying Autopilot unavailable TAKE CONTROL! A more graceful management of that situation should be easy to achieve!
I disagree - if the car is stopping guiding itself then i think the full nuclear klaxons need to sound

I disagree - if the car is stopping guiding itself then i think the full nuclear klaxons need to sound
I think you missed my point. It shouldn't switch off the lights and it shouldn't therefore cancel Autopilot. If you try to switch off the lights when in Autopilot it should simply flash up a message saying "lights must remain in Auto whilst in Autopilot" ... it shouldn't cancel Autopilot .. therefore no klaxons required.

Reactions: Redbaron73
I think you missed my point. It shouldn't switch off the lights and it shouldn't therefore cancel Autopilot. If you try to switch off the lights when in Autopilot it should simply flash up a message saying "lights must remain in Auto whilst in Autopilot" ... it shouldn't cancel Autopilot .. therefore no klaxons required.
Hard disagree - a user initiated action should immediately do what is requested and any automatic assistance systems should disengage if it affects them

Hard disagree - a user initiated action should immediately do what is requested and any automatic assistance systems should disengage if it affects them
I think I'm inclined to agree quite strongly in the current state of development. But that seems to sit at the heart of many AP / FSD / TV - VO debates. Who is the boss? Or, who will eventually be the boss?

I don't reckon the current boss has even got reliable eyesight, let alone the brains to know what to do in sufficient common circumstances. The boss's practitioners seem inclined to remove senses rather than improve them....

So for the time being, I'm the boss and don't need a loud, distracting back seat driver!

I think I'm inclined to agree quite strongly in the current state of development. But that seems to sit at the heart of many AP / FSD / TV - VO debates. Who is the boss? Or, who will eventually be the boss?
Yes but this is where choosing one "principle" of operation perhaps doesn't suit all conditions. The individual instance I described clearly introduced more risk by unexpectedly dumping the Autopilot function than simply leaving the lights on and advising the driver why.

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
It's much riskier to suddenly dump the Autopilot function (when that was not what the driver requested) rather than just to leave the lights on which is essentially risk free.
True but then it is only riskier if the driver isn’t aware the auto lights are a mandatory component of autopilot.

If you adjust a primary or secondary control you should be even more ready to take control, just like you should be ready anyway with the current state of AP.

I just discovered that with my latest s/w version (2022.40.4.2) auto wipers are again compulsory with TACC. This was the case a few updates ago but then ceased to be necessary - I assumed as a bug fix. Back again now which is annoying when they insist on wiping a dry screen. I reckon mine are pretty much ok at all levels of rain - but still occasionally want to wipe when not raining. Possibly triggered when driving into low sun.

Reactions: linkinruss
leaving the lights on and advising the driver why.
I don't disagree at all. It's just that I don't think in the 'final' version of AP or whatever, the one that can deal with most things within a given feature set better than a (reasonable) human driver, the desired behaviour would be the same as now, with the actual version we have on our cars.

Which model of behaviour should cars currently follow in general terms? One that fits in with the human driver having full responsibility and the car needing to follow driver input immediately and unquestioningly, or one in which the car knows best and should ultimately decide what happens?

If I could be held accountable for an accident caused by my car dazzling an oncoming car due to having poorly adjusted headlights or me not operating them correctly, then it doesn't much matter to me what the car thinks is the right or required thing to do.

IE, if the car is not capable of giving virtually fool proof driver guidance, then what response should the driver make to a bunch of alarms and warning messages?

Again, that doesn't mean I disagree with the point you made @Adopado, but in the bigger picture of what AP is supposed to do and who is responsible for what, I not so sure.

I don't disagree at all. It's just that I don't think in the 'final' version of AP or whatever, the one that can deal with most things within a given feature set better than a (reasonable) human driver, the desired behaviour would be the same as now, with the actual version we have on our cars.

Which model of behaviour should cars currently follow in general terms? One that fits in with the human driver having full responsibility and the car needing to follow driver input immediately and unquestioningly, or one in which the car knows best and should ultimately decide what happens?

If I could be held accountable for an accident caused by my car dazzling an oncoming car due to having poorly adjusted headlights or me not operating them correctly, then it doesn't much matter to me what the car thinks is the right or required thing to do.

IE, if the car is not capable of giving virtually fool proof driver guidance, then what response should the driver make to a bunch of alarms and warning messages?

Again, that doesn't mean I disagree with the point you made @Adopado, but in the bigger picture of what AP is supposed to do and who is responsible for what, I not so sure.
The good thing is that we know there presently remains the opportunity to modify these behaviours in the future.