Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really torn about what to do with this. I really do want the AMD processor, but I am currently without a car and while I can get by on public transport for a while, it isn't ideal. Deferring to Q2 doesn't necessarily mean I'll get it in April either presumably, I could be waiting until June depending on when the ships come in?

And if the cars that are coming in during Q1 end up being a random mix of some AMD cars and some Intel cars, it will be a total lottery which you get, so how can you know whether to defer or not? Presumably I won't know whether mine actually has AMD or Intel until collection day, and at that point it's too late to defer anyway.

Part of me thinks I should just get a cheap runaround 2nd hand ICE car to tide me over for a few months, tell Tesla right now that I want to defer until Q2, then sell the ICE car when my AMD Model 3 shows up sometimes between April and June.

I hear what has been said about there being no point in waiting, as rumours will start coming out about another enhancement you'll want and you'll end up waiting forever. But I really do think the AMD processor is a significant upgrade. Things like bigger batteries... meh... another 10 or 20 or whatever it is miles of range isn't a huge deal. But the infotainment system is something you interact with multiple times, every single time you drive the car. Would be so frustrating to miss out on it but for being patient another couple of months...
Yeah I hear you and I'm exacting the same thoughts. Osborne affect very much in view, the AMD upgrade IS worth waiting for if you're in the know. The laminated glass should help quieten the car a bit more and the heated wipers / Li-ion battery are nice to have... Remember you're likely in a minority that actually cares / knows anyway... this can end up in one of FOUR scenarios. Me personally have psyched myself up for scenario 3.

Scenario 1. You roll the dice.
Shanghai is producing the 2022 updated as we type. However, the factory will be furnished with original stock. It's highly reasonable to assume February's shipment will contain mostly December stock. Some hybrid of December and 2022 updated hardware.. i.e. you may get cars with laminated glass, Li-ion battery and Atom CPU.. or any combination... finally perhaps the very front end of the FULL updated 2022 model and you hit gold.

If you go ahead right now, you end up on pick up day getting anything. Don't get me wrong the car will be INSANE and it'll be everything you test drove and everything that put that permanent smile on your face, and ultimately what got you to sign up anyway... But if your heart is set on the 2022 updates, this could end up turning a really exciting day to a disappointing one. And that is MY own personal greatest fear. I can't help but to fear how I may feel regardless of the awesomeness presented to you as I know IF what people are saying and the AMD will not be retrofit, it aches even more IF they're already producing the cars right now and it's just a case of a little more time.

Scenario 2. Schmooze the reps at Tesla.
Yeah this one is also a lottery. Explain that the reason you ordered a MARCH end of Q1 order was to ensure your car captured the 2022 updates. Explain you're in the know, savvy on the importance of these updates, and ask very politely IF when the inventory comes through, and IF you're listed as a candidate for a car on this shipment (so as to not assume), someone can check the car specifications and match according to you specifically instead of a random allocation. Now, if Tesla will do this I have absolutely no clue. This is what I'm trying, and in a position to immediately accept the car if they do (why would they not?). It depends on how much they want to match and release cars before Q2. Keeping in mind a lot of people with cars on order simply aren't bothered either way, so they may be able to allocate if requested. Who knows. Anyway likely a lottery to which is why I am prepping for scenario 3.

Scenario 3. No cars match your spec against inventory from the ship or scenario 2 is a no go, or Scenario 1 is just not the lottery for you.
This would be the more gutting option, knowing you were an inch away from driving off in your new Tesla. But something made you hang on in there with some more patience. Q2 is likely when the new batch will start to filter through. Most likely you will be matched with a car. BUT keep an eye out on what people are reporting to get during that Q1 delivery you decided to skip on. I know I will. I'm very curious. You may have to once again explore scenario 2, but if the consensus is that the newer ones are indeed hitting our shores, you should have no issue. I personally would still be a little anxious, but having come this far and into production you'll most likely finally get a home run.

Scenario 4. You weren't allocated anyway, and they ETA you to Q2 regardless. It happens, unlikely; but the Musk works in mysterious ways. Who knows.

Naturally this is all my take, but logical. You just have to follow your heart. This is a great investment and life milestone. You SHOULD live the dream, even if in your heart of hearts you have to make peace with waiting a month or two more. I guess only you can make that call. If you're like me, and can sit it out just a tad longer, it'll be a super summer :)

You can watch this thread for shipping intel whilst you anticipate your Q2 shipping.. It's super interesting if curious!

How can you choose to skip the February shipment? I already filled out all the financing details and now just waiting for a final contract.
Just call Tesla, and a rep can pop a hold on it for you. Filling out the details is fine, you won't be billed anything until you have approved a car offer which they'll do at the time via phone call / final contact. If you accept a car you'll be asked to finalise.

How can you choose to skip the February shipment? I already filled out all the financing details and now just waiting for a final contract.
I'm a cash buyer so I'm just thinking when they get in touch to offer me a collection day I'll just give them some kind of sob story about not being able to get the money together in time and ask if I can defer until the following month. Sounds from this thread what they'd do is unmatch me and I'd get automatically rematched with another car in Q2 at some point. Could you do the same on the finance? I imagine you're paying a deposit, so could you say you couldn't get the deposit together in time?

I think my plan is,
  • Get a month-by-month lease of an EV from On.To, so that the whole being carless thing doesn't make me feel like I don't want to wait longer than March.
  • Keep an eye on the first reports of cars delivered to UK customers in probably mid-Feb to hear what processor they got. Bearing in mind forum posters are a very small sample size, it won't be possible to know what the overall percentage split is if it is a mix. So if 2 people post to say they got Intel, and 8 people post to say they got AMD, you can't know whether that is a proportionate representation of the 2022 cars so far overall. For that reason,
    • if all of those cars have the AMD processor, I will take my chances and go ahead with the March collection. There's still a risk due to the small sampling size (again, 10 people posting on a forum to say they got AMD doesn't mean every single car in the UK did), but at least it is a positive indication.
    • if any of those cars have the Intel processor, I will ask to defer when I'm offered a March collection date.
The On.To lease is pricey admittedly. If I get one of the cheaper cars (Renault Zoe maybe) over 4 months it will cost me nearly £2k over that period. But the way I see that, if the Tesla ordering website had a +£2000 for AMD processor option I would have ticked the box.

I'm a cash buyer so I'm just thinking when they get in touch to offer me a collection day I'll just give them some kind of sob story about not being able to get the money together in time and ask if I can defer until the following month. Sounds from this thread what they'd do is unmatch me and I'd get automatically rematched with another car in Q2 at some point. Could you do the same on the finance? I imagine you're paying a deposit, so could you say you couldn't get the deposit together in time?

I think my plan is,
  • Get a month-by-month lease of an EV from On.To, so that the whole being carless thing doesn't make me feel like I don't want to wait longer than March.
  • Keep an eye on the first reports of cars delivered to UK customers in probably mid-Feb to hear what processor they got. Bearing in mind forum posters are a very small sample size, it won't be possible to know what the overall percentage split is if it is a mix. So if 2 people post to say they got Intel, and 8 people post to say they got AMD, you can't know whether that is a proportionate representation of the 2022 cars so far overall. For that reason,
    • if all of those cars have the AMD processor, I will take my chances and go ahead with the March collection. There's still a risk due to the small sampling size (again, 10 people posting on a forum to say they got AMD doesn't mean every single car in the UK did), but at least it is a positive indication.
    • if any of those cars have the Intel processor, I will ask to defer when I'm offered a March collection date.
The On.To lease is pricey admittedly. If I get one of the cheaper cars (Renault Zoe maybe) over 4 months it will cost me nearly £2k over that period. But the way I see that, if the Tesla ordering website had a +£2000 for AMD processor option I would have ticked the box.

I ordered a red MY LR in December 21 and I am really looking forward for the Feb/Mar 22 delivery of the car. I realise that if I take all the possible trickled upgrades into account, that I may get into the MY over Q2/Q3/Q4, I will never be getting the car.

Compared to US first releases, the car would be already better equipped, with previous minor updates.

For the new updates my thinking is:
-Laminated back glass can be easily upgraded.
-Heated Wipe, can be just a 3rd party DIY retrofit from Alibaba Express
-AMD CPU, albeit it is important, but if all features are there, and the car is fully functional, I personally don’t care if Netflix takes 20 seconds extra to load. Once features are starting to be missed due to MCU limitations, Tesla will probably provide an MCU upgrade path at a cost, even if they say no today.

I know I want the latest and the best, but as far the car passed teslainspect check list, I would be happy to drive it off.

I ordered a red MY LR in December 21 and I am really looking forward for the Feb/Mar 22 delivery of the car. I realise that if I take all the possible trickled upgrades into account, that I may get into the MY over Q2/Q3/Q4, I will never be getting the car.

Compared to US first releases, the car would be already better equipped, with previous minor updates.

-AMD CPU, albeit it is important, but if all features are there, and the car is fully functional, I personally don’t care if Netflix takes 20 seconds extra to load. Once features are starting to be missed due to MCU limitations, Tesla will probably provide an MCU upgrade path at a cost, even if they say no today.

I know I want the latest and the best, but as far the car passed teslainspect check list, I would be happy to drive it off.

I agree with you if it is just the Netflix taking 20 seconds extra to load thing, but what about the usability of apps once they're loaded? How laggy/jerky is scrolling around Netflix? YouTube? Navigation system? And even if those things are smooth now, will they still be after another 1 or 2 years of software updates where the developers now have the added headroom of the AMD processor available when designing UI updates?

If I were reasonably confident that Tesla would provide an aftermarket MCU upgrade, I'd probably roll the dice and stick with a March delivery. But sounds like that is a gamble too at the moment.

Though, that said, if Model 3s hold their value as well as I'm told, I suppose the upgrade path might just be trading it in for a new one in a couple of years... that's something I should think through more I guess.

If you're like me, and can sit it out just a tad longer, it'll be a super summer
By which point the rumours ventilated seats will be confirmed / shipping so you will want to defer again, and then the next update will come along such as a structural battery or new colour options.

Take the M3 in 2021 - big cosmetic update near the end of 2020 in time for our Q1 deliveries. Then a few months later in Q2 boombox is fitted, then an update to height sensors in early Q3 which possibly makes the headlight aim more accurate, then new rear light clusters in late Q3, now in Q4 the LR is currently going through the change over to a slightly larger battery giving 20 miles more range.

I guess another way to look at it is, if waiting past March is going to cost me say another grand in short term car leases. A grand buys a pretty nice iPad that I could keep in the car and would run Netflix, YouTube, all manner of games, and plenty else speedily. You know, if in reality all I get with the AMD processor is faster video streaming/games.

Keep talking myself back and forth on this... haha 😆

All the delaying is just insane. In Q2 you will be told that Tesla will get ventilated seats, in Q3 there will be another new great feature and new sets of hardware that will make the car even more superior! Never realised the actual extent of the Osbourne effect until I started reading about Tesla. This has been a topic of discussion for years now and delaying the order to get the "better specs". There are millions of people driving Tesla right now, they have nothing to say but prasie how great the car is, how responsible the infotainment is (pre AMD), what a great car it is to drive and this what really persuaded me to buy Tesla! Things will continue to change/improve and in 2-3 years time you may decide to change your car again, whilst those who keep delaying it will wait probably longer before they decide to sell! As such I maybe be driving in and upgraded 2024 Tesla whilst you'll be still driving in 2022! Just relax and enjoy the car you get 😊

All the delaying is just insane. In Q2 you will be told that Tesla will get ventilated seats, in Q3 there will be another new great feature and new sets of hardware that will make the car even more superior! Never realised the actual extent of the Osbourne effect until I started reading about Tesla. This has been a topic of discussion for years now and delaying the order to get the "better specs". There are millions of people driving Tesla right now, they have nothing to say but prasie how great the car is, how responsible the infotainment is (pre AMD), what a great car it is to drive and this what really persuaded me to buy Tesla! Things will continue to change/improve and in 2-3 years time you may decide to change your car again, whilst those who keep delaying it will wait probably longer before they decide to sell! As such I maybe be driving in and upgraded 2024 Tesla whilst you'll be still driving in 2022! Just relax and enjoy the car you get 😊

There are loads of threads I can find about Netflix taking forever to load, and being laggy when using it on the current hardware. I'm planning to use the car for travelling in, so will have a certain amount of down time in the car in between driving to places and getting a good experience with Netflix and YouTube and things like that is important to me.

That said, as I say above, delaying will cost me money and I could buy an iPad to keep in the glovebox for Netflix for less money than delaying will cost. Still weighing up pros and cons of it all.

Absolutely.
All these are nice to haves.
I ordered M3LR only thinking about front laminated windows. Anything else is just a bonus. Of course as time goes, I want amd cpu, etc, but if not - then I get what I ordered.

Only gripe might be that non-ryzen cpu ones will have slightly lower resale value. But difference should not be that massive

There are loads of threads I can find about Netflix taking forever to load, and being laggy when using it on the current hardware. I'm planning to use the car for travelling in, so will have a certain amount of down time in the car in between driving to places and getting a good experience with Netflix and YouTube and things like that is important to me.

That said, as I say above, delaying will cost me money and I could buy an iPad to keep in the glovebox for Netflix for less money than delaying will cost. Still weighing up pros and cons of it all.
No matter if netflixnliadsbin 5 or 25 s. Once it loads, you start episode/movie, you will turn it off as battery will be already full in 30 mins :))

My mind in relation to the AMD is the possible improvements it could bring to the Sat Nav and more importantly improvements in the future.

I remember reading somewhere that there was talk about the possibility of introducing a 360 car camera.

Combining info from several cameras and knitting them together. Such data crunching may benefit or require more processing power.

But I accept the argument that waiting is an endless game (though not that concerned about the vented seats or heated wipers).

is there normally a fair mix of colours for standard specs? If I buy a new one I might go MSM instead of white - seen a few around and they seem to go well with the aero wheels and the dechromed look. But I’d want a fast turnaround so I’m not without a car for long, and don’t want to screw myself picking a colour that might be late

Waiting is an endless game, and I genuinely figured until now, Osborne never really affected me.

BUT what I can say for myself is that the CPU is an extensive upgrade. It's not a quality of life thing, it genuinely improves upon and for the short term future proofs any potential OTA updates that may need that extra uumph, plus it makes everything else so much more snappy and fluid. This is compounded by the reports that Tesla will not be retrofitting, so it's either now or a new car in the future.

The way I see it, the range is enough with the Long Range in the UK, the farthest I ever travel is family up near Manchester. That's some 260 / 270 odd miles from here on a clean run. It's cutting fine with a RWD 3, but works brilliantly for a 3LR, can easily make it in one shot if needed. Interestingly I'm not fussed about improved battery packs or ventilated seats. THIS update, the enhanced CPU delivers extra speed and performance to the brain of the car, which is a huge tug. The rear laminate should help improve road noise, which has been a focal point of gripe. Cannot fault Tesla for nipping that in the bud. The Li-ion battery, I'd not notice the difference, but if it's there it's there. So for me this latest M3/Y update doesn't really register as an Osborne influence, it's just a case of getting a 2022 updated car in 2022, and that just includes simply the updates they made for 2022, they just happen to be extremely desirable if you're in the tech industry and identify with the advantages of it. It just makes the 2021 version less desirable when you know the 2022 update is already rolling off the production lines in eye watering quantity and likely already enroute. You're not waiting for something that may or may not appear in the next 6 - 12 - 18 months.

I agree that regardless.. the car is regarded to be 3-4 years ahead of the market in any respect. If the new updates don't bother you, and you just need to get your hands on a car, then just get it. I just parked next to a 2019 / 2020 model 3 with the chrome trim, and I still couldn't help a little skipping heart as I waved at the sentry wiping the drool off my chin... ;)

Reactions: AutomaticMan
is there normally a fair mix of colours for standard specs? If I buy a new one I might go MSM instead of white - seen a few around and they seem to go well with the aero wheels and the dechromed look. But I’d want a fast turnaround so I’m not without a car for long, and don’t want to screw myself picking a colour that might be late
hahah yeah don't kill me with the whole colour choice thing. I test drove a BLACK M3, and all my photos were of the black and it looked fantastic. I had my heart set on it. THEN they destroyed my soul by offering another test drive as i was on the fence for a while, this one was white, and it blew me away. A friend has the midnight silver, and I liked that to... It wasn't until a pearl white passed me on the M6 that I realised how well the curves and detailing showed up, and so I just made up my mind there and then it was to be white.. default colour or not... white it was! I'm not a fan of white interior either, so my order was as vanilla as it can get, but, it's exactly what my preference leaned toward.

The realisation was that there's no such thing as a bad colour, they're all spectacular. You can over research each and every one, and still lose sleep. My mind is made, final answer don't need to phone a friend. Long Range 3, white, black interior 2022 update. No more over thinking :D I lose too much sleep thinking about pick up day as it is !

White and midnight silver seem to be the popular ones, if you have one of those on order without tow bar or anything quirky, you should be pretty reliably good for a match.

I've had Midnight Silver and now Pearl white and I can say the white looks better and is easier to keep clean. Like you, I went with a black interior for ease of keeping it clean. It's definitely the best colour and slightly cooler in the summer too. You won't be disappointed...

• Love
Reactions: Snowy77
sequencing question - can I just slap an order in this weekend? I have asked tesla for a trade-in value for my 2020 SR+ which I assume won’t come until next week, but can it be applied to an existing order, or do I need to wait for the trade-in and then use it to start an order?