Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And, does it have to be declared to insurers? If so, did it impact the premium BB ?
My -not a solicitor- take on this is that you are not making any changes from the manufacturer specs by purchasing this extra, so they would have a hard time considering this is a modification from the factory model… but… insurers… sneaky b***s as always…

Reactions: Wattsisname
But aside, I kind of regret this. Unless you are going for an ‘all-black’ look I find chrome looks better with all other colours, especially MSM and looks classier.

The chrome delete trend was mostly popular among racer boys / sports car, and I believe it is starting to die down.
But to each his own I guess…

Anyway, it was easier to do an aftermarket chrome delete than it would be to do a ‘chrome add’ - not even sure that’s a thing at all actually.
Has anyone tried or has any idea on how to achieve this?
I can imagine there will be plenty of chrome M3 owners ready to do a swap if that is feasible?

May be worth looking into via the sale/want ads?

My -not a solicitor- take on this is that you are not making any changes from the manufacturer specs by purchasing this extra, so they would have a hard time considering this is a modification from the factory model… but… insurers… sneaky b***s as always…
That is very debatable but even if that argument is accepted you are unlikely to get financial recovery for AB if they don’t know about it (not that telling them automatically gives you loss cover for it).

That is very debatable but even if that argument is accepted you are unlikely to get financial recovery for AB if they don’t know about it (not that telling them automatically gives you loss cover for it).
And, does it have to be declared to insurers? If so, did it impact the premium BB ?
As it is changing the performance of the vehicle and making you a potentially higher risk driver - I am sure they would expect you to declare this resulting with possibly higher premium - or in the event of an unfortunate incident you may risk being declined for any claim

So today the date moved from September to end of December. Ordered in March. Looked at the website and seen they are offering new cars from Jan to March 2023. I really dont understand there estimations. How can a go that has been on order since March - arrive a couple of weeks before a car that is ordered now.

As it is changing the performance of the vehicle and making you a potentially higher risk driver - I am sure they would expect you to declare this resulting with possibly higher premium - or in the event of an unfortunate incident you may risk being declined for any claim
Is it changing the performance of the vehicle though?
It’s always been there, you are simply unlocking it with a software upgrade. Very different from let’s say, remapping done completely against manufacturer recommendations and programming.
Otherwise I would argue EAP/FSD enhancements need to be declared too.

On that note, I thought Tesla was petty for these optional acceleration boost software upgrades.

Turns out… Mercedes is bringing it to a whole new level :
£500 / year subscription to software unlock an improved turning circle for the EQS by adding 10° steering to the directional rear wheels!🤣🤣🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Ashdeman
Is it changing the performance of the vehicle though?
It’s always been there, you are simply unlocking it with a software upgrade. Very different from let’s say, remapping done completely against manufacturer recommendations and programming.
Otherwise I would argue EAP/FSD enhancements need to be declared too.
Good point! however it is changing the original acceleration on specs and most importantly red flagging the driver as a high risk driver - at least this is my understanding of the insurance world but I am not an expert by any means. In the new era of high tech software based vehicles probably there is room for interpretation - we will all find out along the way☺️

I can see both sides of the argument but regardless I'd be telling my insurance anyway. They'll do anything to avoid paying out, I wouldn't want to risk it.
yes. Ultimately that’s the most reasonable choice. Not necessarily fair but with insurers it’s always best to add as much unnecessary details to avoid being caught out.

As this is still early days though, I don’t believe an insurer would even be aware or think to check whether AB was added or not in the event of a claim

Reactions: Wattsisname
My concern would not be having the cost of the boost being reinstated, it's surely just a matter of switching over to the new car in case of a total loss.

My concern would be that, if you had not reported it to your insurer, they might invalidate your insurance, in the unhappy and hopefully unlikely event of a major claim.

Informing the insurer would prevent any such sneaky weasel words biting you in the rear. However, a possible issue is that the insurance agents do not seem to understand what a Tesla is all about - of course they understand the essentials - but anything not spelled out in their "book", understandably, flummoxes them.

Finally, does the Boost really make that much difference? Or, put another way, is it good value? Of course, if the latter were an essential part of our purchasing criteria, we would not buy much:).... or, am I a cynic......

Now then......SWMBO tells me that, thankfully, I do not qualify for Oscar Wilde's definition of a cynic.........

Last edited:
My -not a solicitor- take on this is that you are not making any changes from the manufacturer specs by purchasing this extra, s
I would want to believe your rationale but, is the cost of insuring a MY P the same as a LR? If an ICE manufacturer offered a 1.5l diesel option and 2.5l V6 petrol, would you expect to pay the same insurance premium? If not, why not? Performance maybe!?

Having said that, it's great to hear that some companies don't mind....but they should be told...no?

Reactions: beasty54