Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get a quote from WBAC, if you're running short on the 4 days its valid, are there risks getting a new quote will be significantly lower? Still waiting on my settlement figure from Tesla and the WBAC runs out at midnight tonight so may not make it.
The Tesla figure will probably be lower than WBAC
BUT with WBAC they will knock off a chunk here and another chunk there if it's not in absolute showroom condition.

Give Motorway a try, the prices they get in the dealer only auctions are very strong at present compared to WBAC.
I have found Motorway very good so far, and am very happy with the price they've offered for my ID.3. The dealer who won their auction for it is coming to collect on Thursday, so assuming he doesn't do the classic WBAC trick and try to nit-pick the agreed price down it'll be a thumbs-up from me for Motorway. He's coming in the evening to collect it, so it'll be pretty dark out, so not sure how he'd be able to nit-pick things in the dark anyway!

I have found Motorway very good so far, and am very happy with the price they've offered for my ID.3. The dealer who won their auction for it is coming to collect on Thursday, so assuming he doesn't do the classic WBAC trick and try to nit-pick the agreed price down it'll be a thumbs-up from me for Motorway. He's coming in the evening to collect it, so it'll be pretty dark out, so not sure how he'd be able to nit-pick things in the dark anyway!
They have already viewed the bodywork, tyres and interior on the pictures. My experience is they turn up, make sure it’s as the pictures and then make the payment on site. No hassle at all.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
They have already viewed the bodywork, tyres and interior on the pictures. My experience is they turn up, make sure it’s as the pictures and then make the payment on site. No hassle at all.
I’ll try motorway tomorrow - their price is close to but about £100 less than WBAC so depending how strong either is could come out on top. I couldn’t take photos before it got dark.
the price offered is the minimum they expect it to make on the auction day, normally the next working day depending on when you send the pictures and call them with the full details. I got £6k more than the original offer and that was from a BMW main dealer that won the car. When he called he introduced himself as “I’m the BMW dealer that’s just paid an extortionate amount of money for your car” it sold 4 days later at Rybrook BMW for £2k less than I paid for it 15m earlier. Crazy times

Reactions: Mrklaw

the price offered is the minimum they expect it to make on the auction day, normally the next working day depending on when you send the pictures and call them with the full details. I got £6k more than the original offer and that was from a BMW main dealer that won the car. When he called he introduced himself as “I’m the BMW dealer that’s just paid an extortionate amount of money for your car” it sold 4 days later at Rybrook BMW for £2k less than I paid for it 15m earlier. Crazy times
I'm getting about £1,500 more than I paid for it new with delivery miles only on the clock. It is now a year old with 10,000 miles. Absolute madness but I'm not complaining 🤣 The current freak valuations of used cars is partly what motivated me to take advantage and move up to a Tesla now.

How long does it take to build a M3?

Are the ones to be delivered end of Feb/March built already and prepping transport?

Trying to figure out if it’s likely that it was a recent build date to get the new updates
work backwards:
it takes 1 month for ship from Shanghai to reach UK. Before that - it will take ~ 1 week (???) for logistics inside UK (unload, ship to collection points etc.) So if on order screen we see March 2022 delivery - then it means that it has to leave Shanghai by 1st of February at latest.

You would suspect that Tesla would have the load already built before that day. so most probably cars were/are built in December/January in order to be ready.

As per some reports, Shanghai produce up to 1000 cars a day.
Tesla's Shanghai factory was designed to make up to 500,000 cars a year, and currently has the capacity to produce Model 3 and Model Y vehicles at a rate of 450,000 total units a year.

Reactions: jmhumphreys
After close to a 5 month wait post Tesla order I'll be picking up my car on Friday..... The issue is it won't be a Tesla.

Anyone wanna buy 5 month old RN number 😜 not cancelling it as they won't return my deposit, so they can do what they want with it.
What car did you opt for?

I'd have a chat with a tesla rep and say that you want a refund because you're waiting for *some future version* and you'd prefer to re-order, than to keep putting it on hold. You'll get your £100 back.

How long does it take to build a M3?

Are the ones to be delivered end of Feb/March built already and prepping transport?

Trying to figure out if it’s likely that it was a recent build date to get the new updates
Lottery. The new shipments will likely be a mix of old, hybrid and new. Old being Dec made, hybrid being a likely mix of any of the new and older features, and new being full 2022 updated models. It depends on the configuration of your car. We see more unique configurations with less turn over than say, MSM or white with black interior. So a more generic car is likely to have a greater chance of being out the factory rather than inventory which could have clipped the Dec production. Short answer is, until people start picking up their cars we have no idea what's in them.

Reactions: jmhumphreys
Oh that makes me second guess my MSM order as it says march but I would like the later updates
Same as me. I made it clear to Tesla that the entire purpose of waiting for March was to a) clip the new registration, and b) leave ample time for the updated cars to reach shore. I have specifically asked for a 2022 spec car. Whilst there is no official 2022 model 3, there is a 2022 spec car. We're tracking a couple of boats on the shipping thread that should be heading to the UK. Unclear if they have a mix of fresh cars or DEC stock.

If I have time I'll discuss with the awesome chaps at the Tesla center this weekend, it's a literal stone throw from here. I don't buy the 'we don't know' thing. They must be able to identify spec / build / configuration one way or another.

ADD: I know there are some people out there that really just don't care about / not fussed / indifferent to having the new features. Tesla I'm sure can match me with something that I'm happy with, with what they have coming over (if they do have them).

Last edited:
are we able to decode the VINs to specific features (glass + Ryzen + battery are my main ones) - that might allow some knowledge before you are due to collect?
I'd like to think so. That info would not be visible to me, but I'd hope Tesla reps can decode VINs to vehicle specific specification. If there are none, I have made peace deferring to subsequent shipments if needed. If they don't have a list of VINs that can be searched and matched, I'm going to ask questions!

are we able to decode the VINs to specific features (glass + Ryzen + battery are my main ones) - that might allow some knowledge before you are due to collect?
There's nothing in the VIN to distinguish this is there? You can see the model year, which factory it came from, number and type of motors. It could only be inferred if it was known that specific features were added from a specific chassis number onwards.

My order (19 Dec) is in the 'we are drafting up your contract' stage with no VIN matched. When this comes I will ask the SA to confirm the spec but don't know how they will know for sure...

Yeah to us a VIN isn't decodable that I am aware. BUT to Tesla, that unique identifier could have the minutest details and absolutely be able to identify every serial number of every component, or the paint batch of the shell. Tesla will know the spec of each car via VIN. IF they share that detail or can optimize customer matches accordingly who knows. We'll see when I talk to them IN PERSON, not via phone, phone is never good for these kinds of chats :)

Yeah to us a VIN isn't decodable that I am aware. BUT to Tesla, that unique identifier could have the minutest details and absolutely be able to identify every serial number of every component, or the paint batch of the shell. Tesla will know the spec of each car via VIN. IF they share that detail or can optimize customer matches accordingly who knows. We'll see when I talk to them IN PERSON, not via phone, phone is never good for these kinds of chats :)
i wonder if it is worth calling them asking when delivery gonna happen? probably answer will be "check you account - we will contact you"?