Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how would we insure our Model Ys if no UK insurer knows about them yet? Just hope they start recognising MY before I need the insurance!

Normally any unrecognised vehicle is referred to the underwriters and then prices are set, usually only takes a day or two if you happen to be the first for a new model, but my guess would be that they already have figures that just aren't available directly to the public yet.

I went through the process when I pre-ordered a Jaguar XF at the end of 2007 to get a quote.

I wonder how would we insure our Model Ys if no UK insurer knows about them yet? Just hope they start recognising MY before I need the insurance!
Went through this with the Model 3. It's actually no drama but you may find you are restricted to Direct Line / Churchill / LV / or Nova initially.
The underwriters will provide the quote.
Just be a little cautious about insuring on a VIN since Tesla can change the allocation depending on the logistics.
Tesla should be able to give you the registration a week or so in advance however this will not appear on any database until a couple of weeks after delivery as the car is actually registered on delivery day.

Morning all.

Anyone with a M3RWD on order been allocated a VIN and/or received notification from Tesla that your vehicle is on the way?

I placed my order with Tesla and received my RN on 10-Dec but haven’t heard anything since. At the time of order, est delivery was Feb but the TA told me likely Mar.

My trade-in offer expires 12-Feb. Can’t see me getting my vehicle before then. Does anyone have any experience of expiring trade-ins? Will Tesla just generate a new offer?

Thanks.

If you don’t collect within the timeframe that Tesla allows, the vehicle will be offered to someone else. If Tesla allow you to delay into March then they would issue a new reg number - that wouldn’t be a big deal, they don’t actually register it with the DVLA until collection day anyway.
Just to understand the process abit more, so the licence plates don’t get fixed on the car until delivery?

The text that tells you the licence plates pre the 1st is preliminary and if able to defer until the 1st then the new number gets stamped on the day?

Morning all.

Anyone with a M3RWD on order been allocated a VIN and/or received notification from Tesla that your vehicle is on the way?

I placed my order with Tesla and received my RN on 10-Dec but haven’t heard anything since. At the time of order, est delivery was Feb but the TA told me likely Mar.

My trade-in offer expires 12-Feb. Can’t see me getting my vehicle before then. Does anyone have any experience of expiring trade-ins? Will Tesla just generate a new offer?

Thanks.
There are quite a few of us in this position. If you haven't already, you might find it helpful to read back through the posts on this thread and the 2022 Shipping thread as there are lots of comments relevant to M3RWD orders. Enjoy!

Yes. I don't think I will wait months for another. There must be more than one shipment per quarter to sell 35k M3s in a year. I've been tracking the available inventory since selling my previous car in September and there have been a few opportunities to buy a new, unregistered M3P. I can wait a little longer.

I also want to see evidence of Ryzen MCU, Li-ion batteries and acoustic rear windows before handing over the cash.
Fair enough, different people have different priorities... just because the new reg isn't a priority for me doesn't mean that it shouldn't be for you after all!

Also understand wanting to see evidence of the updates. I'm really hoping for the new MCU. Acoustic rear glass doesn't matter much to me because I've always got music on so that drowns out road noise anyway.

Reactions: milesr3
Insurance question: I’m selling my previous car next Wednesday. What do I do with insurance? If I don’t collect my new car until March, do I have to cancel and then take out a new policy? Is there a time limit before any no claims gets messed up? Can esure (current provider) put something on hold pending the new car?

Insurance question: I’m selling my previous car next Wednesday. What do I do with insurance? If I don’t collect my new car until March, do I have to cancel and then take out a new policy? Is there a time limit before any no claims gets messed up? Can esure (current provider) put something on hold pending the new car?
I cancelled and took the hit on losing the no claims I accumulated so far this year. I compared meerkats for quotes with the extra no claims and without, and the difference was only 50 quid or so over the year, and who knows whether my current insurer would work out the cheapest for the Model 3 anyway. Chances are I'd have to pay more to see out the policy than start a new quote with a new insurer anyway so I felt like taking the no claims accumulation hit was worth it.

That is quite a lot, I was hoping for 5 maybe 6 ships to the UK at a push.
Yeah, I've possibly exaggerated a bit there but there is hope that the end of quarter push that Tesla is wanting to end actually happens and we see more frequent smaller shipments (more UK and Europe combined shipments), that quarter on quarter sales growth on the M3 continues and we have the start of MY deliveries.

Reactions: jmhumphreys
I cancelled and took the hit on losing the no claims I accumulated so far this year. I compared meerkats for quotes with the extra no claims and without, and the difference was only 50 quid or so over the year, and who knows whether my current insurer would work out the cheapest for the Model 3 anyway. Chances are I'd have to pay more to see out the policy than start a new quote with a new insurer anyway so I felt like taking the no claims accumulation hit was worth it.

I’m hoping no more than 4-8 weeks of no car, and my currency insurance is a model 3 SR+ With 9+ NCD.

I’m hoping no more than 4-8 weeks of no car, and my currency insurance is a model 3 SR+ With 9+ NCD.
You'd still keep the 9+ years though as I understand it. I think NCD lasts for up to a 3 year gap? Worth googling that though because I'm going from memory.

It's just you'd lose whatever partial extra NCD you've already built up so far since your last renewal.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Yeah, I've possibly exaggerated a bit there but there is hope that the end of quarter push that Tesla is wanting to end actually happens and we see more frequent smaller shipments (more UK and Europe combined shipments), that quarter on quarter sales growth on the M3 continues and we have the start of MY deliveries.
Using smaller vessels more regularly makes some sense to me! Not sure of the impact on logistics costs for Tesla though?

Using smaller vessels more regularly makes some sense to me! Not sure of the impact on logistics costs for Tesla though?
When will Elon unveil autonomous amphibious mode though, that's what I want to know! I want to be able to press a summon button on the app and have my Tesla drive itself to me all the way from China (though those 'delivery miles' wouldn't be ideal!) 😃

The text that tells you the licence plates pre the 1st is preliminary and if able to defer until the 1st then the new number gets stamped on the day?
My understanding is that you can defer by one week from the Ready Date then the vehicle goes back on sale and you have one more week to take delivery. So a maximum of 14 days, which in my case is insufficient to get from 10 Feb to 1 Mar.