Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome! thanks for the advice!

Next question... I want to install this on the column between my 2 garage doors but I'm worried that the width of the wall charger and the cable is going to prevent the door opening - can anyone tell me the minimum width I'd need?

I had mine delivered next day. But then I realised, that I could have saved up to £150 if I bought one from eBay. They are selling them for around £300 unboxed compare to £449 on Tesla.
I was due to order the charger… I’m unsure of what the catch is with these chargers on eBay.

I have gone ahead and bought through Tesla own website. Not really worth the hassle if it doesn’t work… all for a saving of around £100

Reactions: Snowy77
I've just got the text message . . . Your car is ready for collection . . . . Please note we cannot guarantee the level of charge etc.,

There are many things about the customer buying process of a Tesla that I don't loike but accept lots of it because it's THEIR business model and I accept that because of the nature of that model the car may not have a full charge on collection but frankly I think it is an appauling disgrace thatt they don't follow that message with . . . 'but you are welcome to a free self top up from the Supercharger before you leave'.

In my life I have collected more than a dozen new cars and EVERY car ame with a full tank - is that too much to ask!!!
I have bought loads of new cars too and I think the best I have ever had was a half tank thrown in as part of the negotiation. BMW made a big play of giving me £10 to go and fill up over the road.

Tesla are not alone in not giving you a full tank in my experience.

Awesome! thanks for the advice!

Next question... I want to install this on the column between my 2 garage doors but I'm worried that the width of the wall charger and the cable is going to prevent the door opening - can anyone tell me the minimum width I'd need?
Here is picture of mine. You have bricks for reference. But after measuring width of charger with cable it is 48cm or 19inch.

Attachments

• AA6C9C2D-BFA8-4E1A-9258-F6A2A482A5F7.jpeg
    AA6C9C2D-BFA8-4E1A-9258-F6A2A482A5F7.jpeg
    489.1 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: dilly28 and milesr3
Slight update on the MY delivery ‘fun’ I have been having over the past 2 weeks.

Our originally allocated vehicle was ‘damaged’ and was no longer in ‘a condition to deliver’ (still not sure of the details). The real ‘fun’ came from us having to chase Tesla to get any information as to what happened and possible solutions.

It now appears Thursday is the new delivery day – fingers crossed; very excited.

My friend picked up their MY this weekend (from Bluewater) and it appears the experience at pick up is hardly stellar; very dirty cars (inside and out) and little to no support from the staff – after complaining was told to email the cost of cleaning to Tesla – not a great start to new ownership.

Does a quote of between £500-750 to install sound about right? I’ve requested a few quotes so just waiting on the other companies to get back to me (Pulled the list authorised electricians on Tesla website).
I bought charger from Tesla website and electrician charged £648 for installation (2hrs) including some additional installation of box due to being on TNCS earthing system (whatever that means).

Reactions: iorgosg
Does a quote of between £500-750 to install sound about right? I’ve requested a few quotes so just waiting on the other companies to get back to me (Pulled the list authorised electricians on Tesla website).
Yes, it does indeed sound about what I was asked for (Surrey), despite getting multiple quotes.

If you go with someone like Octopus, they're charging about 400 quid for the install of non-tesla EV chargers. Still an awful lot of money when the job might only take an hour... (Depends on your electricals at home. Sometimes it can be a big job, other times it can be straight forward).

The Telsa chargers will need a PEN Fault device for TN-C-S properties (Most properties), which are about £120 parts - that's probably built into the cost. (But OHOT they have a dual pole RCD built in, which saves you getting other parts)

Wallbox are doing mine, but thus far the service has been abysmal... but overall relatively cheap...

My advice would be to look at someone like octopus ev to do the install, they might be a little slow due to demand, but the prices are at least reasonable. Independent installers seem to be charging whatever they like for a few hours work.

Reactions: greenbottle123
Even if you can be bothered to coil the cable round the wall connector neatly every time, the absolute minimum is about 2 brick lengths (18"). The brick pillar in-between my garage doors is coincidentally two bricks wide plus the frame around the doors...but I still installed the wall connector inside the garage because I would have got it caught up in the doors.

IMG_1347.jpeg

My installation was £500 (£210 labour plus £290 for the PEN fault protection, 30m armoured cable, henley blocks and cable glands). The wall box itself may not be smart but it is very good quality with 7.4m of tethered cable, RDC Type A plus DC, ground monitor, thermal monitoring and most importantly a button on the handle to open the charge port and unlock the cable when charging is finished.

Last edited:
Reactions: dilly28
I'm having a wallbox pulsar plus installed by octopus this Thursday.. Think it cost £460 supplied and fitted. Doesn't the OLEV grant thing finish this month as well? I just about got in there.

I can certainly update on this when done!
I believe they can claim up until the end of April, but only for overrunning jobs AFAIK. Octopus were slow to respond, but were honest that they were too busy
Wallbox were about £100 quid more expensive than directly, and promised installation within 10 days. Took them 10 days to get an appointment together, and that was for about 40 days elapse. Fortunately I'm in the small violin club, so it's not been catastrophic.

Overall, much more sane than £500 for a charger and £500-750 for an install.
Worth noting that the Tesla chargers aren't eligible for the OLEV grant - I'm guessing because it doesn't support OCPP, which is a fairly sensible requirement for the grant

Tesla Eve today - collection from Bluewater at 9:30 am tomorrow!

To say I'm excited would be an understatement - I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve 😄
Couple of things to be aware of with Bluewater, take a torch with you as it is quite dark & dingy in that car park. Also the car may not have a 'signal' as it is in a covered car park in an old quarry, I did not get a signal until I was back on the M25. I also used the Superchargers there and got away without paying for it as the card did not know that I had picked it up due to the lack of signal (I think) although it may not work for everyone.