Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new Model Y (LR MCR) a couple of weeks ago and I love it.

However, first long distance trip this past weekend I fully charged to 325 miles and after a 180 mile trip I only had around 40 miles left - is this typical?

Also, my mirrors fold in when I get home and I cannot for the life of my find how I disable the fold on location setting.
Figured out the fold on location - at the location select to fold the mirrors and there is a little dropdown with "Save" selected, press to unselect.

Reactions: JanF1 and Snowy77
Figured out the fold on location - at the location select to fold the mirrors and there is a little dropdown with "Save" selected, press to unselect.
Did you figure out the range discrepancy by the way? Was following your posts on this. We have had a few days of really good weather, however nothing compared to the summer. Interested to know when temperatures get higher (early to mid 20s) if suddenly range starts going up.. I'm ok with a drop in range during the winter, journeys aren't usually that much, and you're not really holidaying it.. Summer is different so kinda curious!

Did pre-conditioning help? One thing I'm not sure about is manual pre-conditioning, how to do it... I get the scheduled departure, but manual and how long you need to give it is of curious interest to me as well.

Picked up on Saturday from Southampton and - as others have posted - was disappointed at the general condition of the exterior.

The car itself drives fine with the exception of having the TPMS and Brake lights flashing on and off for about 20 minutes during a short trip to the shops several hours after picking it up... hasn't happened since but still logged it.

There was also scratches on pretty much every panel, some physical 'scuffs' which will need repainting and some poor repairs on interior seat scratches which I'm not sure how they'll address without replacing the whole assembly. Oh and some pretty bad installation scratches around the door tread plates and possible delimitation of the read taillight.

I explained all these to the guys at the handover centre but got the default, "...nothing we can do. log on the app and book it in to be sorted...". A little worried that I've done it this evening when the car has tipped 102 miles and just seen a post above about 100 mile and 7 days... we were told as long as it was within 48 hours so see what they say.

ALSO... I can't charge using the provided cable at home! I've borrowed a friends Type 2 charger from his Mercedes EQC and it works fine on the home EVCS but will not charge with the Tesla cable that came with the car! Anyone else had something similar? It's a ROLEC Wallpod for reference.
@K.M. I had the EXACT same thing. I created a service request in the APP and used supercharger and granny charger as they worked fine. Its the cable - mine was replaced, no hassle and works fine. Was your cable black by any chance? The one they replaced it with was Blue. I ALSO have a Rolec charger....

75 most of the way
There are soooo many variables that contribute to the overall efficiency, and therefore the range you will get, out of the battery/vehicle. But one thing that is fairly constant in any calculation is that the faster you go, the greater your range will drop.

It's also not exactly linear either. 20 vs 35 mph will not see much difference in efficiency. But a 60 vs 75 mph comparison will. If you slow down to around 62-65 mph, and if the temp increased by 5-7 degrees you may not see it dip as much... but then again, who wants to go friggin slow in a Tesla!?

There are soooo many variables that contribute to the overall efficiency, and therefore the range you will get, out of the battery/vehicle. But one thing that is fairly constant in any calculation is that the faster you go, the greater your range will drop.

It's also not exactly linear either. 20 vs 35 mph will not see much difference in efficiency. But a 60 vs 75 mph comparison will. If you slow down to around 62-65 mph, and if the temp increased by 5-7 degrees you may not see it dip as much... but then again, who wants to go friggin slow in a Tesla!?
Also wind direction/speed makes a monumental difference. If there's a 15mph wind and you're driving at 70mph, the amount of air drag (which largely determines battery usage) is 2.4x higher driving into the wind than with the wind.

Reactions: QuanTim

So just for personal intreague, is there an absolute sweet spot for range vs speed? If I'm heading up to Manchester (from Kent), and I need to auto cruise at 62 I'd do it !

@K.M. I had the EXACT same thing. I created a service request in the APP and used supercharger and granny charger as they worked fine. Its the cable - mine was replaced, no hassle and works fine. Was your cable black by any chance? The one they replaced it with was Blue. I ALSO have a Rolec charger....
Oh no - didn't occur to me that the charger cable might not work! I've only used my home tethered Tesla charger and the tethered Tesla Superchargers. I have now tested the 13 amp cable and it works fine, but I may never use the type 2 one - but if I do need it I want it to work. But where to test it?🤔

Reactions: Rgascoigne71
Oh no - didn't occur to me that the charger cable might not work! I've only used my home tethered Tesla charger and the tethered Tesla Superchargers. I have now tested the 13 amp cable and it works fine, but I may never use the type 2 one - but if I do need it I want it to work. But where to test it?🤔
Look at Zap map for a 7 or 22kw "Fast" charger. Most will be unteathered AFAIK. Depending on the area either a supermarket or on-street charger

Anyone else had the experience of trade in pictures not getting uploaded properly and stalling your final trade in quote?
I’m jumping on the bandwagon of trading in my M3 for a MY after just a few months but struggling to get that last tick in the order page.
Trade-in have emailed me twice now to say they can’t open the pictures and to resend them by replying to the email.
I originally assumed it was because the files were apple’s HEIC format originally so I’ve converted them to JPEG, confirmed I can see them as such on different computers, and sent them but they’re still saying they can’t open them. I’ve resent again, smaller, and inline as opposed to an attachment... Can anyone recommend how to get a more helpful response from [email protected] that doesn’t take a week each time? Or, is it worth cancelling and adding the trade in again so I can upload the pictures via the webpage (which I can no longer do with the trade in pending)… thanks!

Now I can’t get the Tesla Spotify account to log me in. It was working fine but kicked me out and now it just keeps saying can’t connect, I have reset it 3 times but no luck.

All my other premium connectivity features are working. Anyone else had this?

Look at Zap map for a 7 or 22kw "Fast" charger. Most will be unteathered AFAIK. Depending on the area either a supermarket or on-street charger
I was just happy it wasn’t the car! 😂😂 they ran remote diagnostics while it was on my drive. They where pretty sure the car was ok too 😀
Any friends with untethered chargers would do. I’ve only got 3.6kw at home but it that showed the problem. My work has the same rate chargers and they are free so needed it sorting

Reactions: DIY-Trev
I had the EXACT same thing. I created a service request in the APP and used supercharger and granny charger as they worked fine. Its the cable - mine was replaced, no hassle and works fine. Was your cable black by any chance? The one they replaced it with was Blue. I ALSO have a Rolec charger....
VERY interesting and thank you for the reply. Yeah, the cable they provided was a black one... I actually went out this morning and bought a ROLEC 32a cable and would you know it... immediately started charging! VERY annoyed that I've had to go spend money because what they've provided doesn't work as intended... the alternative was to keep using SCs (at a higher kwh rate) or not use the car as it takes an age to charge on the granny. That said, the cable does work at the 22kw public EVCS like those in Tesco etc so it's not like it's entirely non-functioning.

Reactions: DIY-Trev
VERY interesting and thank you for the reply. Yeah, the cable they provided was a black one... I actually went out this morning and bought a ROLEC 32a cable and would you know it... immediately started charging! VERY annoyed that I've had to go spend money because what they've provided doesn't work as intended... the alternative was to keep using SCs (at a higher kwh rate) or not use the car as it takes an age to charge on the granny. That said, the cable does work at the 22kw public EVCS like those in Tesco etc so it's not like it's entirely non-functioning.
I’d keep the receipt and raise a SR. Get a new cable on Tesla. They let me keep the other anyway so best of both worlds!

Disappointing first long drive today. 86 miles up the motorway, stuck at 72, and it’s used 50% battery so that means I will have to charge on the way home.

I really thought that 160-170 miles would be ok. It was 7 degrees so not warm but not cold either. Could this be down to the battery being new? These things don’t need ‘running in’ do they?
In testing, it’s been reported that the LFP batteries hold up well in cold weather - as long as you pre-heat them while plugged into a charger. And in colder conditions, you’ll naturally see a 30% decrease in range. A YouTuber called Kris Rifa ran the model 3 through its paces in cold weather temperatures.

Picked up my Model 3RWD Saturday from the NEC , Nice and smooth process and tried out the superchargers at Rugby on the way home which were great. Only downside `I'm still waiting for the car to show in the app which I assume that's down to it being a lease car through ALD. Anyone else had a delay on the car appearing in the app due to it being a lease vehicle?
Picked mine up from the NEC as well and the app took 4 days to become active, mines not a company car or a lease I purchased direct from Tesla. Premium connectivity took another couple of days as well.

In testing, it’s been reported that the LFP batteries hold up well in cold weather - as long as you pre-heat them while plugged into a charger. And in colder conditions, you’ll naturally see a 30% decrease in range. A YouTuber called Kris Rifa ran the model 3 through its paces in cold weather temperatures.
Thanks.

So pre-conditioning is really just setting the cabin to warm up and that also does the battery?

How much does that drain the battery as my charger is set to only do it 00:30 to 04:30 so if I start pre-conditioning at 06:30 to leave at 7 that will be draining the battery.