Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
eBay

Awesome, I was thinking the same thing with the white car! Let me know how easy they were to fit. Do they just plug in on top of the old ones, or do you have to remove the old ones first? My only reservation was if you had to remove. I tried removing an old Vauxhall badge once, and it left a permanent mark... yike. Made me nervous about trying to remove manufacturer permanent badges lol

There's nothing new here, it's been like this for several years, but the battery heater only comes on if it's particularily cold, it doesn't get the battery up to a working temperature.

Why does anyone want to heat the battery but not the cabin? If you're not plugged in you're still depleting the range by heating the battery, and if you are plugged in you may as well heat the cabin too. Only thing I can think of is better regen from the start, but the above won't cure that as the battery will still be too cold.
I guess the only argument to heat battery, not the cabin is that if the battery takes <>30 minutes to heat up properly to driving level, you can heat the cabin up in a matter of minutes when you get in or a few mins before you get in. Just energy conscience. Any extra energy consumed after 0430 you're paying full for as well, it might be several pennies but could add up if you're doing daily.

I'd love to try all this out :D

There's nothing new here, it's been like this for several years, but the battery heater only comes on if it's particularily cold, it doesn't get the battery up to a working temperature.

Why does anyone want to heat the battery but not the cabin? If you're not plugged in you're still depleting the range by heating the battery, and if you are plugged in you may as well heat the cabin too. Only thing I can think of is better regen from the start, but the above won't cure that as the battery will still be too cold.
If I was trying to max the possible range I would want to heat the battery and maybe not bother with the cabin. However would it be possible to set the temperature to be the same as the outside temperature and therefore it won’t heat or cool the cabin, and it would then condition the battery?

If I was trying to max the possible range I would want to heat the battery and maybe not bother with the cabin. However would it be possible to set the temperature to be the same as the outside temperature and therefore it won’t heat or cool the cabin, and it would then condition the battery?
This morning it wasn’t particularly cold outside so I got the message that the cabin was up to temperature after 5 or 6 minutes but the three heating bars symbol stayed by the battery on the app for the entire 30 minutes so I assume it carried on heating the battery even though the cabin was warm.

I get that, but if you were plugged in and the heating drew its power from the wall point, why wouldn't you want to heat the cabin too? Just turn on the HVAC or set the departure time in the app, have the car plugged in so it can use mains electricity and not the battery for its power and then unplug when you depart. If you're not plugged in, then any and all heating is using battery capacity, it's just a matter of whether thats before you start driving, or after.

I get that, but if you were plugged in and the heating drew its power from the wall point, why wouldn't you want to heat the cabin too? Just turn on the HVAC or set the departure time in the app, have the car plugged in so it can use mains electricity and not the battery for its power and then unplug when you depart. If you're not plugged in, then any and all heating is using battery capacity, it's just a matter of whether thats before you start driving, or after.
What if it is 20C out is the battery at the best temperature then?

Hello everyone. Sure this may have been covered but with so much information out there and different stories I wanted to hear from those on the know and those with experience. I order a teslsa M3 standard back end of Feb 2022 . Intial EST del August 2022. That move within a week to May 10th to June 30th. I wasn't expecting it until June with I had read. Now it has moved again to June 13th to June 30th. Does this sound hopefully. Or should I expect another push back. Or are those dates in line with the end of the quarter. Annoyingly I have a car I'm trading in with them and I think the quote expires out of may. Do they just update the trade in automatically or do I have to go through the process again and potentially slow up the order. Also no vin allocated - when do these normally appear before delivery? I've also tried the hack on YouTube to view page source info to see if VIN has been assigned (if this works) but nothing.

Thanks.

What if it is 20C out is the battery at the best temperature then?
I've no idea what the right temperature is, I guess all I'm saying is we have a simple on/off control. Turn on HVAC or Precondition or call it what you will, and the car will do stuff - if the cabin is too hot it will cool it, if its too cold it will heat it, if the battery is below what the car thinks it wants it to be, it will heat it. All of these things use energy. If range matters on that trip, and you're plugged in, then any energy needed to get the car to a place it's happy with will come from the mains, it might not need much, or it might need a lot. We've little to no control over simply turning it on or off. I think we're over thinking the cabin temps etc. If it was a frosty night but the sun has come up and the cabin has warmed up as a result but the battery is still cold, the precondition/hvac should still heat up the battery if it thinks it needs to even if the cabin was prety much at the right temp already.

Hello everyone. Sure this may have been covered but with so much information out there and different stories I wanted to hear from those on the know and those with experience. I order a teslsa M3 standard back end of Feb 2022 . Intial EST del August 2022. That move within a week to May 10th to June 30th. I wasn't expecting it until June with I had read. Now it has moved again to June 13th to June 30th. Does this sound hopefully. Or should I expect another push back. Or are those dates in line with the end of the quarter. Annoyingly I have a car I'm trading in with them and I think the quote expires out of may. Do they just update the trade in automatically or do I have to go through the process again and potentially slow up the order. Also no vin allocated - when do these normally appear before delivery? I've also tried the hack on YouTube to view page source info to see if VIN has been assigned (if this works) but nothing.

Thanks.
Sounds like its just refining the dates, if I understand what you're saying:
It started as by August 2022
Then May 10th to June 30th
Then June 13th to June 30th

I don't see a push back and I'd say it will be between June 13th and 30th.

Your VIN will be allocated around the time the car is put on the boat, so based on end of June, probably not until late May.

One caveat to all the above is the factory is in lockdown due to covid so anyones guess if things move.

Reactions: Nicki Minaj
I'm probably over thinking it to. If I like the cabin to be 20c, turning on HVAC would just get the cabin to 20c. If turning on HVAC sets the battery heating on to, and takes +/- 30 mins, I'd do it manually 30 mins before I know I have to go (sometimes not possible), but this is GREAT to know beofre I pick car up... one of the change of cultures getting an EV :) Sheduled depart for me is too erroneous. I don't use car to commute so I need the car when I need it. HVAC will defo be the method I use.

Trust in the tech. A phrase I had drilled in to me with my 10km range drone lol... don't worry about it, it'll be fine, trust the tech! A £600 drone is different to a 50k car. But in Elon we trust! :D

Sounds like its just refining the dates, if I understand what you're saying:
It started as by August 2022
Then May 10th to June 30th
Then June 13th to June 30th

I don't see a push back and I'd say it will be between June 13th and 30th.

Your VIN will be allocated around the time the car is put on the boat, so based on end of June, probably not until late May.

One caveat to all the above is the factory is in lockdown due to covid so anyones guess if things move.

Meant May 10th to June 13th not 30th 🤦‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
I've no idea what the right temperature is, I guess all I'm saying is we have a simple on/off control. Turn on HVAC or Precondition or call it what you will, and the car will do stuff - if the cabin is too hot it will cool it, if its too cold it will heat it, if the battery is below what the car thinks it wants it to be, it will heat it. All of these things use energy. If range matters on that trip, and you're plugged in, then any energy needed to get the car to a place it's happy with will come from the mains, it might not need much, or it might need a lot. We've little to no control over simply turning it on or off. I think we're over thinking the cabin temps etc. If it was a frosty night but the sun has come up and the cabin has warmed up as a result but the battery is still cold, the precondition/hvac should still heat up the battery if it thinks it needs to even if the cabin was prety much at the right temp already.
Getting it to the optimal temperature before a long journey would be important for me. When I do my long trips into France I want to make sure I have as much range as possible. I would only be looking to precondition when plugged in.

Reactions: Snowy77
Exactly....let the car and technology do the work ...wil more than suffice for what i suspect would be 90%+ of drivers

Hi, I'm a new member :)🖐

Ordered: 10th April
Spec: Model 3 / RWD / White / White Interior / 18inch Aeros.
EDD: November 2022
Pickup: Manchester
Welcome sir! Congrats and welcome to TMC! Now, lets see if that November ETA can be pulled back to the summer! ;-)

It's a long wait, but the community here has helped me no end to pass some time with the ol' bants.

Last edited: