Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would stick with model 3. IMO it looks better, it’s quicker and you’ll get a bit better range. Also activists are not going to deflate your tyres 😂
Agree that it looks better overall. Though, the Y with black induction wheels doesn't exactly look bad either! And I do love the fact that it comes with rear tinted windows as standard...

Re. the speed. Unless I’m driving on my own, I won't be able to put my foot down too often anyway (in 3 or Y). And, driving around the city, you just need to have enough torque to zip into a gap here or there anyway. Besides, for about 95% of my driving, I am a super chill driver which I think is needed in a big congested city like London.

Just getting fed up now. Reading this forum and wondering what the hell is happening. Being ordered after me , having there EDD moved forward before mine, mine pushed back, people who ordered before me being told there at the back of the queue. Talk of finace or low spec being pushed back for higher spec or cash.

I'm not sure what or who to believe now. Plus, when people talk about their orders some don't make clear if it's a 3 or Y.

Just getting all a little fraustrating. Keep getting emails from Orders, asking me stuff about my trade in and bank account and V5 to speed up the process on collection day, but yet still no date.

Urgh, so I may have made what could be perceived to be a bit of a mistake yesterday.

We have a M3LR on order and have been super excited about it since we placed it a month and a half ago. A few weeks back, the EDD changed from June/July to November.... what seems like a world away! Needless to say, we were pretty bummed.

So, to kill a bit of time, we thought to test drive a Model Y - literally just for a bit of sh*ts and giggs. Now, the M3 has always been my dream. A sporty saloon with all the bells and whistles, blah blah - we all know what a machine it is.

My partner, though, she's more like "I’m excited to get this car, I’m excited for you, it's going to make us get out and about more" blah blah. So although she's excited and happy, she has never been at that same level of excitement like I have been about it and always thought it was "just a car".

That all changed yesterday...

Turns out, the Model Y is what she needed to get excited! After driving around, she was SOLD. She loved everything about it; the size, the ride height, the boot space, the back space, the sound system... everything! After our drive, we immediately sat in the Model 3 for a comparison (we've test driven it before). She said it felt like "sitting in a pot" in comparison. She called the Y a literal (of course, meaning metaphorical) spaceship.

The thing is, for me, as the driver, there were a few things I did not like about it (but many things I did): 1) the rear visibility was horrid and the side mirrors smaller than the 3. Could probably get over this but always felt that I couldn't quite see anything behind me. Reliance on rear camera will be a real thing which I’m not yet convinced about. 2) the seat.. for some reason at the very back of the seat, it was pinching my bum a little bit. Not a huge amount, but I had to scoot a bit forward for it not to do the pinching. Was a bit weird and never seen anyone complain about this before (I’m 6 ft, medium size bum for anyone wondering) Edit: I didn't get this in when we sat in the 3 immediately after, though I thought they had the exact same seats? Weird. 3) the noise of the suspension. Yes, it really is a thing. Not crazy bad, but noticeable. Will probably get used to it after a while and was drowned out by the superb sound system 4) the turning circle. It was decent, but thought I'd be doing a lot more reversing in that thing to get in/out of a tight spot. 5) it wasn't as fast. Yes, it's FAST, faster than you'd ever need, but it's not the same feeling of "fast" as you get in the 3 (you can tell I’m getting very nit-picky now!). My partner still got very clammy when I gave it some juice.

So overall, it is an AMAZING vehicle with some minor driver-related gripes. It still drives like the motors are literally connected to your brain - like all other Tesla's. So really, it still performs amazingly well and has the added benefit of all that glorious space. It will make my partner over the moon. It will make me super happy. Question is, is that enough to place the order and cancel the 3? I welcome opinions.
I deliberately haven't done a test drive in a MY with my wife for that exact reason! I think she will probably prefer it, but the MY is just not for me. The M3 feels so much more sporty and exciting. This is a dream car scenario for me and I'm not about to give that up and settle for a car I wouldn't be nearly as excited about.

Luckily my daughter also didn't like the MY either (she came with me on the M3 test drive) so I have that on my side too lol.

If I were you I would stick with the M3 order and tell your wife switching to the MY will take even longer to arrive so isn't a realistic option. Bad luck :D

• Funny
Reactions: QuanTim
I deliberately haven't done a test drive in a MY with my wife for that exact reason! I think she will probably prefer it, but the MY is just not for me. The M3 feels so much more sporty and exciting. This is a dream car scenario for me and I'm not about to give that up and settle for a car I wouldn't be nearly as excited about.

Luckily my daughter also didn't like the MY either (she came with me on the M3 test drive) so I have that on my side too lol.

If I were you I would stick with the M3 order and tell your wife switching to the MY will take even longer to arrive so isn't a realistic option. Bad luck :D
Haha yeah in hindsight it probably wasn't the wisest of moves! But I really was not expecting her to have a reaction like that. And, I must admit, it did make me happy to see her happy.

M3 is certainly sportier, but I re-watched an Autoguful video on the Y and he said he felt the chassis to be more rigid (I don't have nearly enough experience in either to tell the difference). But I certainly did feel the Y to be responsive and hugged the road just as well - and certainly better than my ICE car now!

Thanks for the input though. Tough decisions to be made...

Just getting fed up now. Reading this forum and wondering what the hell is happening. Being ordered after me , having there EDD moved forward before mine, mine pushed back, people who ordered before me being told there at the back of the queue. Talk of finace or low spec being pushed back for higher spec or cash.

I'm not sure what or who to believe now. Plus, when people talk about their orders some don't make clear if it's a 3 or Y.

Just getting all a little fraustrating. Keep getting emails from Orders, asking me stuff about my trade in and bank account and V5 to speed up the process on collection day, but yet still no date.
Bro - go outside, log off the forum, touch some grass. It’s a car.
Just check on the EDD in the app if you want to stay in touch.
The cars will be either June, Sept or some point next year. Don’t expect it soon and you won’t be disappointed.
I know there is some confusion on M3 vs MY. There’s a dedicated thread for MY delivery which I like.
Everything on here is speculation which some people enjoy.

Not that anyone cares, but per my earlier post, I pulled the trigger on the Y and cancelled the 3!

I figured, our net happiness as a couple has gone up since my partner's joy has increased more than mine has decreased going from a 3 to a Y. So it's a win-win all round!

Plus, we should get this 2-3 months earlier and might just catch the tail end of summer in the new car!

There's a few things happening here, Shanghai being closed for 3 weeks or so, royally messed up the schedules big time. At the moment, it doesn't really matter if Y or 3, they're still gating from Shanghai, and Tesla are blasting them out now as quickly as they can. I ordered in November, and still haven't got my Model 3 Long Range. Some people ordered in February and got theirs in March. I think it comes down to spec, allocation, date ordered and flexibility to scoop something orphaned after arrived.

It's natural to be frustrated, we call it the tesla telemetry blackout period. We know there are boats bubbling up at Shanghai, and cars are ready to come to the UK. It's the matching process that matters now, and dictates if your allocation time is now, or not quite yet.

Remember, with a little flexibility, you may be able to pick up an un inventory car even if you're not allocated to a car. These inventory cars will be brand new straight off a boat usually. Hang in there. We have all been through it (🎻club). I ordered in NOV and it feels like finally I'm at the end of this nail biting wait, I'm confident my car is on the next boat, but even I don't know. What will be will be, I just finally sense some air change, and a glimmer of light!

What journey it's been though. It may well be a little longer as well. 😬

EDIT: Hey, it's why we started the 'exclusive small violin club' !

Last edited:
There's a few things happening here, Shanghai being closed for 3 weeks or so, royally messed up the schedules big time. At the moment, it doesn't really matter if Y or 3, they're still gating from Shanghai, and Tesla are blasting them out now as quickly as they can. I ordered in November, and still haven't got my Model 3 Long Range. Some people ordered in February and got theirs in March. I think it comes down to spec, allocation, date ordered and flexibility to scoop something orphaned after arrived.

It's natural to be frustrated, we call it the tesla telemetry blackout period. We know there are boats bubbling up at Shanghai, and cars are ready to come to the UK. It's the matching process that matters now, and dictates if your allocation time is now, or not quite yet.

Remember, with a little flexibility, you may be able to pick up an un inventory car even if you're not allocated to a car. These inventory cars will be brand new straight off a boat usually. Hang in there. We have all been through it (🎻club). I ordered in NOV and it feels like finally I'm at the end of this nail biting wait, I'm confident my car is on the next boat, but even I don't know. What will be will be, I just finally sense some air change, and a glimmer of light!

I was a mega lucky person ordering in feb and getting it n March but I’m still lurking to see when you get your car! All I can say to everyone is that it is TOTALLY worth the wait.

I initially ordered an M3RWD through Octopus a week or so ago, with the EDD on the Tesla website showing Aug 2022, the following day that changed to Feb 2023 😣.

I needed to get out of my diesel Passat before the autumn because my company really does not want to re-insure it for another year - salary sacrifice scheme to improve their carbon footprint.

I have now ordered a MYLR!!
If I may ask, since you ordered through Octopus, how can you see the EDD on the Tesla website?

Best to copy others and put details of your order in your signature. It comes up every time you post. :)

Reactions: JOL1
Not that anyone cares, but per my earlier post, I pulled the trigger on the Y and cancelled the 3!

I figured, our net happiness as a couple has gone up since my partner's joy has increased more than mine has decreased going from a 3 to a Y. So it's a win-win all round!

Plus, we should get this 2-3 months earlier and might just catch the tail end of summer in the new car!

Congratulations, sounds like the right call. Plus I have never heard anyone say “hmm, this boot’s a bit big isn’t it?”

What’s your spec?
Nov. Wow.

Mine M3LR/blue/black/19in

Do you have an EDD at all? Looks like very few of us have the EDD completely missing for about a week now.

Holy cow my EDD is back and now it’s a much narrower 2 week estimate. 🧐🧐🧐
0AAAA8F2-3398-4FA0-87FD-1813F5157583.jpeg