Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be careful with that tracker question, some insurance companies do insist that the car is connected to a system that's monitored at a central location. Tesla's tracker also requires the cars wheels to be moving, if its loaded on a flatbed, it's likely gone for good.
I am not so clear with the above info, never owned a Tesla previously…My current car has a factory fitted GPS tracking and I can see it where ever it is especially when it is parked (due to privacy reasons I guess). If Tesla tracker is limited to only when the vehicle is in motion like you stated, then what’s the point of tracking location unless the point is to catch the thieves on the move…

I am not so clear with the above info, never owned a Tesla previously…My current car has a factory fitted GPS tracking and I can see it where ever it is especially when it is parked (due to privacy reasons I guess). If Tesla tracker is limited to only when the vehicle is in motion like you stated, then what’s the point of tracking location unless the point is to catch the thieves on the move…
The cars simply have GPS chips, their primary function isn't for tracking them if they're stolen, same for all manufacturers. They CAN be tracked when stolen but like I said, put a tesla on a flatbed and you'll just see its last location when it was being driven. You'll always see its last location as far as I'm aware, it's just not guaranteed that it's still there.

Which doesn't make much sense really. If you're parked, why would you need a tracker? If someone steals it, it's no longer parked 🤷 At the end of the day, Tesla's don't actually have a dedicated tracker, you can just use the cars GPS chip via the app, just like you can track your mobile device.

No matter who says what, I'd want a written statement from the insurance company stating that the Tesla app is a suitable way of tracking the car.
Grey area that I agree…perhaps anyone with further info from LV hopefully can shed some light into this in coming days.

I would think that the main point is to locate the car to retrieve, so it is safer and easier to do so when it is parked ☺️

Yes, it would be great to get a written statement but I increasingly feel this day and age, things are not looking that promising for the customers to go that extra mile…

Reactions: EV-Head
Grey area that I agree…perhaps anyone with further info from LV hopefully can shed some light into this in coming days.

I would think that the main point is to locate the car to retrieve, so it is safer and easier to do so when it is parked ☺️

Yes, it would be great to get a written statement but I increasingly feel this day and age, things are not looking that promising for the customers to go that extra mile…
Mines a company car, this all started 2 years ago with our insurance provider and the first model 3s. I had to get them to put it in writing that the Tesla's system was good enough. We've had to do the same this year with Aviva, in writing, and they just stated that it must not be disabled by the driver at any time.

Mines a company car, this all started 2 years ago with our insurance provider and the first model 3s. I had to get them to put it in writing that the Tesla's system was good enough. We've had to do the same this year with Aviva, in writing, and they just stated that it must not be disabled by the driver at any time.
Good to know thanks, will insist to get it in writing with my insurer (most likely LV) as well…

Important question though; can the tracking function be disabled by anyone (ie car thief) who is driving the car - if the answer is yes than Tesla tracker is not meetings LVs condition…

Good to know thanks, will insist to get it in writing with my insurer (most likely LV) as well…

Important question though; can the tracking function be disabled by anyone (ie car thief) who is driving the car - if the answer is yes than Tesla tracker is not meetings LVs condition…
I think it can literally just be switched off like any other option. Pin to drive is the best way, it won't stop it going on a flatbed but let's face it, that's unlikely.

Like I said before, buying a £60k car and fudging insurance is madness by selecting “other tracker” as an option. It’s not your interpretation that matters it’s the insurance company (whether you like it or not) . Money supermarket search facility discloses the following statement once you select MYLR.
We think this car:
Is right hand drive
Has 5 seats
Has no tracker device fitted
Has a Thatcham Approved Cat 2 alarm
Is not imported

Anyone foolish enough to go through this red light is beyond saving. If Tesla tracker is not listed in the options it doesn’t have one recognised by insurers. Furthermore, will the call centre person who tells you what you want to hear pay for your claim when your car is stolen? Answers on postcard addressed to yourself. Rant over. 🤪

Like I said before, buying a £60k car and fudging insurance is madness by selecting “other tracker” as an option. It’s not your interpretation that matters it’s the insurance company (whether you like it or not) . Money supermarket search facility discloses the following statement once you select MYLR.
We think this car:
Is right hand drive
Has 5 seats
Is not imported

Anyone foolish enough to go through this red light is beyond saving. If Tesla tracker is not listed in the options it doesn’t have one recognised by insurers. Furthermore, will the call centre person who tells you what you want to hear pay for your claim when your car is stolen? Answers on postcard addressed to yourself. Rant over. 🤪
Thank god for that rant being over!

• Funny
Reactions: Toblerone
I got a text from them yesterday, same dates (Bristol collection), but to my landline, so I couldn't use the link and had to call them. Booked for the 28th, and they followed up by sending a confirmation text including my VIN (same as hidden VIN thankfully). Asked about battery SoC on collection, they pinged the car and said it's currently at 68%, so probably won't be more than 50% by the time I get it. Should be enough to get home though! Ordered 1 week before you 30/05.
I collected from Bristol on Wednesday and mine was at 47%, popped up to Cribbs to try supercharging for the first time and there were loads of free bays, this was at lunchtime.

We think this car:
Is right hand drive
Has 5 seats
Is not imported

Anyone foolish enough to go through this red light is beyond saving. If Tesla tracker is not listed in the options it doesn’t have one recognised by insurers. Furthermore, will the call centre person who tells you what you want to hear pay for your claim when your car is stolen? Answers on postcard addressed to yourself. Rant
Oh i thought we should expect it before the ship departs, like when its being loaded, great then
Your posts do sometimes come across as if you’re trying to convince yourself you made the right purchase. 😂
I’m fine with my order.

Last edited:
I have just got another completely non-sensical EDD, Nov 13 to January 7th - what the dickens does a January 7th mean (like they are going to do a start of quarter delivery - really?!!) - if Tesla had some serious competition they would be in trouble - now wishing I had ordered something else but price increases of Teslas and other makes a switch difficult.
Yes agree difficult to switch and Tesla know it. What would be fair to us all is if they place a minimum wait time for each model and then we all know we’re we stand and they can give us a more consistent deliver date.

Yes agree difficult to switch and Tesla know it. What would be fair to us all is if they place a minimum wait time for each model and then we all know we’re we stand and they can give us a more consistent deliver date.
Sure and just ignore things like Covid lockdowns where 60,000 units of production are lost from your plans with the associated consequences, where shortages of components from other suppliers impact and where 3 million cars need to be delivered to customers from 4 locations with associated shipping logistical challenges.

I can fully understand peoples frustrations but your suggestion makes no sense in the real world. Tesla continue to deliver cars in large volumes when compared to their peers

Hope you get your car soon