Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else feel slightly deflated when reading that because of rising electricity prices the cost of fuel for an electric car will be broadly similar to that of a diesel - and will probably far exceed diesel and petrol prices with the expected increases next year?

This is based on standard variable tariff when charging at home (I understand that there is some mitigation using off-peak tariffs) and will no doubt be significantly more expensive when using third-party chargers.

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant car with great performance, zero road tax and low servicing costs, but fuel costs ticked another box with me when making the decision to purchase. Not regretting it, just a bit ..meh
A little bit yes. Especially when reading some of the insurance quotes people are getting as well😲 But thankfully I fixed my home energy couple of months ago until 2024 so at least that will stay the same. But still feel slightly deflated. Until I remember how I felt when I test drove it and can convince myself it's all going to be worth it.

Does anyone else feel slightly deflated when reading that because of rising electricity prices the cost of fuel for an electric car will be broadly similar to that of a diesel - and will probably far exceed diesel and petrol prices with the expected increases next year?

This is based on standard variable tariff when charging at home (I understand that there is some mitigation using off-peak tariffs) and will no doubt be significantly more expensive when using third-party chargers.

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant car with great performance, zero road tax and low servicing costs, but fuel costs ticked another box with me when making the decision to purchase. Not regretting it, just a bit ..meh
I would if I was buying the car, luckily it's a company car so it'll cost me less than £20 in BIK. I'm also tied in to my electric tariff at 16.8p kW for just over another year so I'm good for now, I also get free charging at work. Where it'll hit me is on the superchargers, but overall, it'll still be next to nothing.

If I was having to buy a car right now, it certainly wouldn't be an easy choice like it would have been this time last year.

Reactions: nrushforth
Tbh the cost of energy is making me question whether owning a Tesla is a smart financial decision. I ordered back in January and have been delayed over 6 months from my initial EDD. If I knew what I knew now back in January, I wouldn’t have bothered to test drive or order.

We are on a fixed rate of nearly 60p kw so it really doesn’t make much sense to own an electric car. Our variable rate wasn’t much cheaper (but expected to go much higher without fixing the cost).

Reactions: shishiss
Tbh the cost of energy is making me question whether owning a Tesla is a smart financial decision. I ordered back in January and have been delayed over 6 months from my initial EDD. If I knew what I knew now back in January, I wouldn’t have bothered to test drive or order.

We are on a fixed rate of nearly 60p kw so it really doesn’t make much sense to own an electric car. Our variable rate wasn’t much cheaper (but expected to go much higher without fixing the cost).
Night tariff.

Reactions: EV-Head

Solar installed recently with a Zappi. After a very mixed weather week, I have so far sent 64kWh back to the grid for pennies. If only I had a large battery to fill…. counting the days until delivery!

As much as I am still looking forward to getting our MY, latest news on energy front somewhat dampened the excitement…I wish the Tesla SuperCharger network had alternative solar & power-wall type of solutions available at reasonable cost which perhaps would future proof this issue to a degree…I guess will be helping to a greater good and hopefully enjoying a great vehicle and the driving experience…

Solar installed recently with a Zappi. After a very mixed weather week, I have so far sent 64kWh back to the grid for pennies. If only I had a large battery to fill…. counting the days until delivery!
I am in exactly the same situation, solar and Zappi ... my contribution to the grid this week is 89 kWh for nothing ... I have no feed in tariff at the moment. I am awaiting a Powerwall (since last December) and Tesla have been equally rubbish on delivery on that front too, despite promises of earlier delivery to my solar fitter. My solar supplier is still taking orders on Powerwalls from new customers, with deliveries in July 2023, sound familiar? Without solar, I can't help thinking that I would be backing away from an EV at the moment, I would probably leave it to see where this energy crisis ends up. Even with solar, and a battery one day, I am left scratching my head. Is it worth the outlay, and what is going to happen to night tariffs? Will EVs continue to hold their price? Is this the investment I thought it was? Those of us that have had a string of EDDs across the last year, and felt disappointed and frustrated at the time, potentially have a get out of jail for £100 card up our sleeve now I guess. We have between now and mid-November I reckon to mull it over, I anticipate some early ships next quarter.

Last edited:
As much as I am still looking forward to getting our MY, latest news on energy front somewhat dampened the excitement…I wish the Tesla SuperCharger network had alternative solar & power-wall type of solutions available at reasonable cost which perhaps would future proof this issue to a degree…I guess will be helping to a greater good and hopefully enjoying a great vehicle and the driving experience…
Maybe Tesla will come up with an innovative solution for its charging network 🤞

Maybe Tesla will come up with an innovative solution for its charging network 🤞
Octopus are in to Time of Use tariffs, big time. Concerns that night tariffs etc will no longer exist are unfounded.
If anyone is going to come up with innovative solutions its going to be Octopus. They have the capital, the experience, an appetite for risk and are looking long term.
Rule 1 for charging is to charge at home on an EV tariff.
Rule 2 is to minimise public charging including Tesla superchargers if cost is a concern.
Rule 3 is always be careful overtaking BMWs etc as you go up steep hills, but always overtake if safe to do so.

I'm the same. Ordered an M3LR in March, original edd was June 2022, latest word from Tesla is December to Feb. With the energy price hikes I don't think it's worth it anymore. Ultimately paying a premium purchase or lease price for an EV then it costing nearly the same as an ICE vehicle to run for the first 3 yrs, maybe even more come January. There are over night tariffs but I wfh so high usage in the day might cancel out that saving.
Pretty sure I'm just going to cancel and lease a decent spec Audi or BMW for 150 quid less a month. Some places have them in stock now as long as you don't want an overly exotic spec. Feeling pretty down about the whole situation.it probably only makes sense now if you are on a salary sacrifice scheme.

Surely for most, the energy/fuel cost is a low proportion of overall running costs of a £60k car?

Where i think an EV will win is on depreciation with the phase out of ICE cars looming closer. If electricity costs persist at this level, values will take a knock, but my view is that this is a temporary blip in costs.

And taking out finances, the local air pollution argument is a strong one, along with the seamless driving style of an EV drivetrain.

Octopus are in to Time of Use tariffs, big time. Concerns that night tariffs etc will no longer exist are unfounded.
If anyone is going to come up with innovative solutions its going to be Octopus. They have the capital, the experience, an appetite for risk and are looking long term.
Rule 2 is to minimise public charging including Tesla superchargers if cost is a concern.
Rule 3 is always be careful overtaking BMWs etc as you go up steep hills, but always overtake if safe to do so.
Love it, especially Rule 3 🤣

Having owned a considerably less efficient EV than the MY for 15 months, I average less than one public charge doing around 1,000 non-business miles a month. I rarely charge outside of my Octopus Go cheap rate which gives me approximately 1/3 of a battery capacity in 4 hours. The change in attitude is knowing you just need to get home and then you can charge as opposed to worrying about having to go to the filling station so you can achieve your next journey. I agree with Mr M about Octopus I've been really impressed with them over last two years.

Collection due in 2 weeks and yes slightly deflated due to electricity price increases. We've had solar for around 10 years now so I am starting to look at battery storage because I'm generally at work with the car during peak solar production. My wife works from home so we do try and use everything we generate on washing etc coupled with the immersion heater. If charging at work is sorted as promised 🤞 then it stays much cheaper if not ah well they're still lovely to drive and more efficient than some V8 and V12 cars I've had over the years 😆
My biggest issue is the paltry rate suppliers buy any generated electricity back in comparison to what they charge.

Reactions: RCMY