Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, your eyes 👀

Check it over visually, don’t stress, leave promptly and enjoy the hell out of it.

You’ve got a couple of days and a few miles to note any niggles. You reckon you could tell a rattle from a checklist?

Swirls irrelevant unless you can see the aluminium. These buff out. Panel gaps won’t “occur” on your drive home so again you can apply via the Tesla service in the app.

Seriously, this is not having a go but disregard the negativity and enjoy the positive. I know it’s a lot of money, which is why everyone gets tetchy wanting a perfect vehicle, we all do, but problems occur and any issues will get sorted, the guys on site are usually really nice and helpful.

Or, you could simply do the light show in the delivery tent and watch all the lights, doors etc work😂😂
Thanks, yeah I totally understand where your coming from. Only issue is I have got Home Delivery. So no one will be here to fix the jobs straight away or be able to talk to them about it.

Reactions: Gadgetman67
Hi all. I feel obligated to put out a word of caution out about checking very closely the paintwork and wheels of your long-awaited car. I just got my red Model 3 Performance, ordered in March. It's beautiful; on collection, as I approached it looked simply spectacular - shiny, beastly, and for only the aesthetics definitely money well spent. But... ... upon closer inspection I found a 'buffed out' scratch, and then another. And then another. Ultimately I found an almost laughable number of scratches and marks on the exterior. After I noticed the first, I noticed them everywhere on the flat-ish surfaces that are normally subject to the mitt. And then on the wheels. I guess at first I was simply too giddy and consumed by everything else. I mean, no doubt subconsciously I was also in denial of even the faintest idea that stuff could be wrong. But I regret that deeply, because I spent an inordinate amount of time sitting inside getting the user profiles ready and checking things like windows, wipers, the heater, etc. I thought it was literally perfect, but I thank God that I did that one final check. It is almost as if the person responsible for cleaning/moving the car purposely damaged it.

I almost didn't take the car, but the fantastic staff the the delivery hub were adamant that's it' a totally fixable problem for my local Tesla store (St. Andrews), and the I shouldn't turned of by that.

tl;dr On delivery/collection day be very rigorous in your checks of things like paintwork, the wheels, the software, and so on. Depending on where you this may not be so easy. But it's super important.
Can you share a picture of what's a buff out scratch? I have no idea.

Thanks, yeah I totally understand where your coming from. Only issue is I have got Home Delivery. So no one will be here to fix the jobs straight away or be able to talk to them about it.
Try not to stress you wont be at a disadvantage..most issues (if there are any) are resolved not on site at delivery but by way of service call (booked on the App very easily) where for smaller jobs a Tesla Ranger calls or anything bigger an appointment at service centre

Reactions: EV-Head
Try not to stress you wont be at a disadvantage..most issues (if there are any) are resolved not on site at delivery but by way of service call (booked on the App very easily) where for smaller jobs a Tesla Ranger calls or anything bigger an appointment at service centre
Nothing is ever perfect I know, but, it just bothers me a little that we're allowing, and accepting, brand new cars to sometimes arrive in such a poor state. Not only that, we're having to either then go out of our way and travel to a service centre or wait for a ranger to show. I appreciate Tesla do seem to make it as easy as possible, but the cars shouldn't be presented like that in the first place.

Nothing is ever perfect I know, but, it just bothers me a little that we're allowing, and accepting, brand new cars to sometimes arrive in such a poor state. Not only that, we're having to either then go out of our way and travel to a service centre or wait for a ranger to show. I appreciate Tesla do seem to make it as easy as possible, but the cars shouldn't be presented like that in the first place.
Hard to argue with that however, when i collected mine in March it was perfect. It just doesn't have the showroom shine...but thats the Tesla model where they are challenged to deal with high volumes of deliveries over a truncated time period..

Hard to argue with that however, when i collected mine in March it was perfect. It just doesn't have the showroom shine...but thats the Tesla model where they are challenged to deal with high volumes of deliveries over a truncated time period..
I agree, by now we all know there's a higher chance of this happening when ordering a Tesla, even if it is still a very low possibility. I've not even had mine delivered yet and even if it does come full of swirls in the paint, I'd probably still do it again, I just wish it wasn't a choice we had to make.

I only do 5000 miles a year.. I bought the car because it's awesome... It theoretically lower maintenance, and it zero emissions...

Having another petrol or diesel for 4 or 5 years is very close to the current deadline of phasing out those cars from sale in 2030 and so I think depreciation on an ICE will start to escalate as well... Just a hunch, it could actually go the other way if people just aren't moving to EVs, but given the rate of uptake of EVs in recent years I expect that will continue despite the electric costs which maybe high for a while but not forever.

But a car is nearly always a depreciating asset so it's not like the above real matters as these things aren't investments!

The lower cost to run Vs fuel wasn't really a factor for me... It was a nice side benefit, sure...
Keep in mind your EV will drop charge while not doing any miles..so in fact it can be more costly on the basis that diesel doesn't really dwindle away while being parked

This is something I'm worried about as I do t do many miles now in my diesel. I need to research how much battery drops while not being used..

Keep in mind your EV will drop charge while not doing any miles..so in fact it can be more costly on the basis that diesel doesn't really dwindle away while being parked

This is something I'm worried about as I do t do many miles now in my diesel. I need to research how much battery drops while not being used..
There are still some free charging facilities available, especially north of hadrians wall. Some at 50kw charging speed so hoepfully I can use some of these to ride out the big charge spikes coming.

A Tesla parked up looses virtually no battery unless you have sentry mode on or frequently wake it up using the app.
Sleep mode is very frugal in battery use.

I agree, by now we all know there's a higher chance of this happening when ordering a Tesla, even if it is still a very low possibility. I've not even had mine delivered yet and even if it does come full of swirls in the paint, I'd probably still do it again, I just wish it wasn't a choice we had to make.
I've had brand new cars from German brands and paid for fancy coatings on them from the dealer and still had paint defects.

I wouldn't waste energy worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet. Enjoy the car, anything wrong with the paint they will fix.

A Tesla parked up looses virtually no battery unless you have sentry mode on or frequently wake it up using the app.
Sleep mode is very frugal in battery use.
Quite correct. Mine is sat in Heathrow airport car park once again. Been there only
2 days so far. I think I might have lost a whole 1 mile (?) and zero percent with sentry off and checking the app at least twice a day😉.
Parked under cover so won’t activate any climate.
It’s another negative myth unless you’re leaving it for extended periods with sentry on and perhaps 🤔 overheat protection in direct sunlight.
Another needless worry for many. Same as range anxiety.

And there’s your mistake. You should have asked for minimal prep and taken your car to a professional to add those fancy coatings
You're correct, but the point I was making is poor PDI prep at the dealership is not exclusive to Tesla.

Dealer coatings are generally always a rip off but even asking for minimal prep I expect any professional detailer will do a stage one polish on any new car prior to adding any protection.

Reactions: EV-Head