Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sorry to ask a question about insurance again, I’ve searched for an actual answer for this but only come across questions and speculation.

Immobiliser; yes or no?
Alarm; yes or no?
Tracker that insurance will accept; yes or no?

I got a quote with Admiral over the phone, I explained what connectivity the car has and he has put “yes” for tracker and I’m nervous about that!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
All views have been aired here , many conflicting ..so you are unlikely to find a definitive answer to your questions. Insurance companies seem to only repeat their policy and standard wording rather than take the responsibility of giving a definitive answer about any particular car. I fear you will have to make your own mind up depending on your risk tolerance

This link may help you (or others) in that decision

I don't believe that option is available for everyone. Octopus in my area only offer a flat charge like everyone else

It seems most suppliers are not taking new customers and dealing with the emergency for the present customers. Best wait and see what help we get from the government and how the prices pan out.
Not available to everyone? First I heard of that. I moved to Octopus a month ago and they seemed ok with Octopus Go being available once a 30 min billing smart meter went in. Yes the advisor was required to warn me that there was no guarantee of switching being beneficial in the present situation, but was happy to switch me when I said I was getting an electric car and wanted the car tariff.

Reactions: EV-Head
All views have been aired here , many conflicting ..so you are unlikely to find a definitive answer to your questions. Insurance companies seem to only repeat their policy and standard wording rather than take the responsibility of giving a definitive answer about any particular car. I fear you will have to make your own mind up depending on your risk tolerance

This link may help you (or others) in that decision

For the tracker question, Admiral defaults to "no" if going through their online quotation system.

I believe this is the case with most insurers.

Someone posted a couple of days ago ( apologies can't remember who!) That they got quotes with tracker and without, and the price difference was £20.

In a worst case scenario of my car being stolen I wouldn't want my insurance claim to be denied for the sake of £20 ( or thereabouts) so I will be sticking to the insurers' default answer

Reactions: Lala.t
What rate Octopus Go will be at when I get the smart meter and get moved over is another matter. But if they increased both rates by 80% in line with the cap, the charging rate would still be fantastic. And in my case with night storage heaters I will get massive benefit from a rate a lot closer to the old Economy 7 rate than any economy 7 tariff. Octopus E7 is 21p night time. Octopus Go 5 hours is 8p. 5 hours night storage charging is enough for me. I never run the house hot in the winter and if it sub zero outside daytime the wood burners can make up the difference,

I’m sure taking out coal stations is good for the planet but nobody thought to consider what happens to Economy 7 when the coal baseload doesnt need dumping at night any more. Moving over to a gas tank / boiler makes no sense in a world of phasing out fossil energy. The wood burners can supply my evening boost and if daytime rates are so high then its time for a little solar to help out. It’ll pay back much quicker on the pricing environment from October.

Last edited:
Reactions: EV-Head
I’m sorry to ask a question about insurance again, I’ve searched for an actual answer for this but only come across questions and speculation.

Immobiliser; yes or no?
Alarm; yes or no?
Tracker that insurance will accept; yes or no?

I got a quote with Admiral over the phone, I explained what connectivity the car has and he has put “yes” for tracker and I’m nervous about that!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I've gone with
Alarm - yes
Immobiliser - yes
Tracker - no
They where preselected on various quotes I did after putting car make and model in

I've gone with
Alarm - yes
Immobiliser - yes
Tracker - no
They where preselected on various quotes I did after putting car make and model in
I did ask LV a direct question about trackers and got this reply.
'A Tesla tracker will suffice providing it can track the vehicle anywhere in the UK'
and on the Tesla website, it states:

Does my Tesla have a tracker?
You can track your Tesla directly through your Tesla app, which uses a GPS tracking system to locate your car. The security package includes an intrusion sensor, a tilt sensor and the Battery Backed Sounder.

You can track your Tesla directly through your Tesla app, which uses a GPS tracking system to locate your car. The security package includes an intrusion sensor, a tilt sensor and the Battery Backed Sounder.
I got tracker and no tracker quotes through TopCashBack - no difference. Suspect its horses for courses.

Reactions: member 229361

When I went to the LV online quote system it asked me for a tracker. When I called them they did not ask the same question but this was added to the quote without mentioning it "The tracking device must be active when your car is parked. If not, we won’t pay for any loss or damage caused by theft
or attempted theft."

When I went to the LV online quote system it asked me for a tracker. When I called them they did not ask the same question but this was added to the quote without mentioning it "The tracking device must be active when your car is parked. If not, we won’t pay for any loss or damage caused by theft
or attempted theft."
Same here, which is why I had to get the clarification

Reactions: DWINTER
I’ll add to the thread, I’ve ordered a MYLR white / black with 20” wheels with delivery to Paris, my TA also confirmed a few days ago it’s on Glovis Sun, arriving in Zeebrugge on 19 September and to Paris by the 22nd. My pick up date hasn’t been proposed yet but it will be likely the last week of September.
Hi Kowala. I've ordered the same vehicle through Lex/Fleet Alliance back in May. I have had the RN number (since lost when I had to wipe my phone) but heard nothing else since with Fleet Alliance now telling me it's likely to be December!

Now that I have my reg number assigned, my long term insurer who has all 3 cars covered, has been able to finally announce that they cannot provide me cover for the Tesla. No claims ever made and live in low risk postcode with multiple years of NCB. Either this car is a priceless item, hugely difficult to repair or get parts for but whatever it is I don’t really see any logic being applied. It’s a good job I’ve searched around and found the best alternative and will rerun the quote each day over this week to see if I can shave another couple of pounds off it. Compared with the situation in May when I ordered my car, insurance has doubled and electricity has doubled too! Just waiting for this government to start charging us heavily for road tax after taking away our home charger grants! I’m still looking forward to getting my car in 23days as it will be a transformation compared to my BMW X3.

Now that I have my reg number assigned, my long term insurer who has all 3 cars covered, has been able to finally announce that they cannot provide me cover for the Tesla. No claims ever made and live in low risk postcode with multiple years of NCB. Either this car is a priceless item, hugely difficult to repair or get parts for but whatever it is I don’t really see any logic being applied. It’s a good job I’ve searched around and found the best alternative and will rerun the quote each day over this week to see if I can shave another couple of pounds off it. Compared with the situation in May when I ordered my car, insurance has doubled and electricity has doubled too! Just waiting for this government to start charging us heavily for road tax after taking away our home charger grants! I’m still looking forward to getting my car in 23days as it will be a transformation compared to my BMW X3.
Perhaps they're underwritten by AXA... :D

I did see this tweet by Tesla Owners UK this morning which might be handy to you/other reading Which insurance company should I get a quote from? What about GAP insurance? - Tesla Owners UK

It seems like a complete lottery trying to insure a Tesla. How Admiral are *only* charging me ~£850 per annum for my postcode and short driving history yet, other soon-to-be-owners are getting quotes of £1.5K plus, is completely beyond me.

Also, why the Y comes up as a 507 bhp beast (it is a beast but a 500 bhp+ beast?), a figure that is still up for debate, but not know with the same degree of certainty about the tracking/security system is also beyond me.

Perhaps they're underwritten by AXA... :D

I did see this tweet by Tesla Owners UK this morning which might be handy to you/other reading Which insurance company should I get a quote from? What about GAP insurance? - Tesla Owners UK

It seems like a complete lottery trying to insure a Tesla. How Admiral are *only* charging me ~£850 per annum for my postcode and short driving history yet, other soon-to-be-owners are getting quotes of £1.5K plus, is completely beyond me.

Also, why the Y comes up as a 507 bhp beast (it is a beast but a 500 bhp+ beast?), a figure that is still up for debate, but not know with the same degree of certainty about the tracking/security system is also beyond me.
It is believed 507bhp covers AB.

It is believed 507bhp covers AB.
Yeah, I guess that's the point. They know what the full potential is even when software locked. Yet you can still manually chose a question, based on a out factory feature, that could completely invalidate your whole insurance. Anyway, just a general gripe that probably doesn't belong here.

19 days, 22 hours & 11 mins to go for me..... but who's counting!? :D

I haven't received a test with my reg yet but noticed the final invoice added to my account this morning and it has the reg on it. Does any body know how long it takes before the reg is recognised by insurance companies? When I type it in to insurance companies or DVLA checker it says not recognised. It's only been a few hours so maybe need to wait longer, just trying to get a sense of how long. Thanks

Reactions: TesAJ
I haven't received a test with my reg yet but noticed the final invoice added to my account this morning and it has the reg on it. Does any body know how long it takes before the reg is recognised by insurance companies? When I type it in to insurance companies or DVLA checker it says not recognised. It's only been a few hours so maybe need to wait longer, just trying to get a sense of how long. Thanks
I had to ring up my insurer and they added the reg at their end, as when I tried to add it myself through comparison websites or insurer website it wouldn't let me

Reactions: adambg