Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For you, maybe. I'm on 20.9. Did a trip yesterday where I lost cellular for several minutes. The tiles just didn't load for a section of road ahead, but once cellular reconnected, the tiles loaded. It's always behaved like this for me when traveling through parts of Wales.
It reminds me of an early mobile phone Sat Nav I had on a Sony P900 mobile. I used to go up into North Norfolk often back then and I’d end up just following a line most of the time as data signal was shockingly bad. As long as I stayed on the line it would keep routing me but if I went off I was screwed as it couldn’t reroute me without data.

Nice to see Tesla has the same issue of Sat Nav’s 20 years ago.

It reminds me of an early mobile phone Sat Nav I had on a Sony P900 mobile. I used to go up into North Norfolk often back then and I’d end up just following a line most of the time as data signal was shockingly bad. As long as I stayed on the line it would keep routing me but if I went off I was screwed as it couldn’t reroute me without data.

North Norfolk still enjoys anonymity 😂

• Funny
Reactions: FastLaneJB

It doesnt. Network is required for tiles and traffic, but the map file is downloaded to the car.

It doesnt. Network is required for tiles and traffic, but the map file is downloaded to the car.
Not sure I believe that unless you have evidence? Sure for satellite mapping then they are images and it won’t have them all stored but maps should be vector representations of the roads. Hence if the map file is stored in the car there’s no reason it cannot draw the map without a mobile signal. They are drawn in real time from the vector data. Every other car with an inbuilt Sat Nav can do this just fine.

"If a data connection is not available, onboard maps allow you to navigate to any destination, but you must enter the exact and complete address."

Recently in mid-Wales, we took a wrong turn when there was no cellular. The navigation still re-routed us. The ICE screen does not display a map, but the blue path was rendered. However, the driver screen did (Model X). Voice navigation still worked.

I suspect this is why Tesla deploys a 4-6 GB file to all cars to cater to network black spots. Tesla's implementation of Satellite Navigation is somewhat mind-bending and a bit of a mess, quite frankly. Likely because they rely on different datasets from different sources. I suspect the reason for the map loss (non-Satellite) is because Tesla are not rendering vector maps in real time. I think they are also tiles, and they are not caching. I seem to recall another thread on here that stated their agreement with Google prohibited them from caching any mapping tiles, but I might be having a senile moment.

That's all I've got, sorry. I just know it worked for us, albeit in a very limited manner.

Reactions: browellm
"If a data connection is not available, onboard maps allow you to navigate to any destination, but you must enter the exact and complete address."

Recently in mid-Wales, we took a wrong turn when there was no cellular. The navigation still re-routed us. The ICE screen does not display a map, but the blue path was rendered. However, the driver screen did (Model X). Voice navigation still worked.

I suspect this is why Tesla deploys a 4-6 GB file to all cars to cater to network black spots. Tesla's implementation of Satellite Navigation is somewhat mind-bending and a bit of a mess, quite frankly. Likely because they rely on different datasets from different sources. I suspect the reason for the map loss (non-Satellite) is because Tesla are not rendering vector maps in real time. I think they are also tiles, and they are not caching. I seem to recall another thread on here that stated their agreement with Google prohibited them from caching any mapping tiles, but I might be having a senile moment.

That's all I've got, sorry. I just know it worked for us, albeit in a very limited manner.
Yes I mean maybe they don't have the rights to generate the mapping tiles themselves even though they have the vector data to do so in the car. I mean it might have to be something somewhat stupid like that as I just don't see a reason for it otherwise.

They still need to sort this if you ask me. Other car brands have offline maps normally for the whole of Western Europe when buying in the UK. They can draw maps, route and function perfectly without signal. All you are really missing is live traffic without data.

It's not the end of the world, just seems a silly problem to have.

Reactions: Lee Davis
BMW and Audi provide over the air updates to maps twice a year but only the local ones (ie UK and Ireland).

If you want to update the whole of Europe you needed to download the files onto a USB stick to do the update
Yes my Land Rover is the same. Doesn’t tell me the maps are updating but if I look it almost seems like there’s a new UK revision every month it’s pulling down. I update the European maps off a USB once in a while.