Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.14.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
on. It’s also I believe not allowed an offset so it’ll chime every time you go +1 over the speed limit.
But since I’ve started driving Tesla ie now 4 years I rarely crossed the speed limits and raced against time. I try and save 1% less from their trip prediction and that is my new challenge since I started driving Tesla. The good thing is I don’t have to worry about speeding fines and mobile cameras. A big relief. The bad thing is I may be 15-20 minutes late in longer journeys and that is ok. I start bit early if I am planning airport trips etc., win win 🥇and no chimes.

I understand that Highland is a different vehicle, technically, to a pre-Highland vehicle.

As an example, any unsold UK stock of Model Y’s must comply with the new legislation in order to be legally sold after the effective date. Are Tesla really going to offer one software behaviour on two otherwise identical Model Y’s, just because one was sold a day later than the other?
Possibly yes.

It won't be an entire branch of the software. Just a setting internal to the car that the user can't (typically) change.

Tesla have already done this multiple times with things like regen settings being hidden on newer cars. No big deal.

They do it when they add a towbar to the model y so the car understands it has a towbar fitted. Easy.

Cars before: SpeedNagOnInitalDrive = off
Cars after: SpeedNagOnInitalDrive = on

Simple.

It’s not about what Tesla can or cannot do, it’s about the law. And yes I’ve had cars with a speed limit chime going back earlier, the difference is it will turn on automatically on each drive. If you don’t like it, you have to turn it off each time. It’s not allowed to remember you don’t want it on. It’s also I believe not allowed an offset so it’ll chime every time you go +1 over the speed limit.
Yes I get that. Would be nice if just for once Tesla implemented something which was a useful safety feature instead of more farting beach buggy games!

Yes I get that. Would be nice if just for once Tesla implemented something which was a useful safety feature instead of more farting beach buggy games!
Tesla has a ton of safety features and most of what the law is telling them must be standard, they’ve already had standard for a long time. They don’t talk about it as much but it’s there.

Also the games are important, not for people like me and you but for families with younger kids. It helps keep them entertained during charging stops for instance.

One of my sisters kids won’t stop going on to her that he wants her to get a Tesla because of the farting noises among other things. It’s all about making the car unique and cool, even to people not old enough to drive one yet.

Possibly yes.

It won't be an entire branch of the software. Just a setting internal to the car that the user can't (typically) change.

Tesla have already done this multiple times with things like regen settings being hidden on newer cars. No big deal.

They do it when they add a towbar to the model y so the car understands it has a towbar fitted. Easy.

Cars before: SpeedNagOnInitalDrive = off
Cars after: SpeedNagOnInitalDrive = on

Simple.
The question is whether they’ll do that based on first sale date for two otherwise identical vehicles. The other settings are VIN-based/factory-set and I agree there’s many precedents for that.

At best I expect any changes to apply to a range of VIN numbers guaranteed to have been sold through, with the corresponding smaller fleet overlap - basically run a VIN query to find the “lowest” unsold VIN and anyone with a VIN “higher” than that gets the “nag chime” applied.

However this is more work than just applying a “nag chime” to the entire EU & UK fleet, and it’s often the case that Tesla take the course of “least work” in these regulatory matters!

No sentry preview for me in the UK and also no reminder when at home to charge when less than 50% any idea
Sorry if this is well worn but is the “new” sentry preview function supposed to behave like a ring doorbell/camera system in that if it detects a movement event near the car (I.e not necessarily an alarm event) you get a notification and can click though to the live situation? Or am I misunderstanding? Is there a difference with what we can have in the UK/EU due to privacy 🤷‍♂️

The question is whether they’ll do that based on first sale date for two otherwise identical vehicles. The other settings are VIN-based/factory-set and I agree there’s many precedents for that.

At best I expect any changes to apply to a range of VIN numbers guaranteed to have been sold through, with the corresponding smaller fleet overlap - basically run a VIN query to find the “lowest” unsold VIN and anyone with a VIN “higher” than that gets the “nag chime” applied.

However this is more work than just applying a “nag chime” to the entire EU & UK fleet, and it’s often the case that Tesla take the course of “least work” in these regulatory matters!
The groundwork is there now. Speed limit can already nag in every vehicle. They just have to alter the settings to suit the law.

Reactions: Utumno
Sorry if this is well worn but is the “new” sentry preview function supposed to behave like a ring doorbell/camera system in that if it detects a movement event near the car (I.e not necessarily an alarm event) you get a notification and can click though to the live situation? Or am I misunderstanding? Is there a difference with what we can have in the UK/EU due to privacy 🤷‍♂️
It will only notify you if alarm is triggered (as previously), but now will also send you a video clip, but you need premium connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: Parrog and Bacalao
Do you have fsd? I only have eap and not noticed anything different

Yes FSD. Interesting, have you had the camera upgrade/HW3+MCU2 change?

It looks like in the US, legacy S/Xs are also now on v12 of the one-stack FSD code. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe before the car hits 100k miles and 8 year factory battery warranty runs out Tesla may be able to deploy something that resembles what they 'promised' back in 2016 🤣........That's if Elon doesn't sink the whole company in the next 12 months, which I would say is a 50:50 bet right now.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how this would work in an EV. I’ve only ever driven MB’s speed limiter, which can be quickly deactivated using kick-down. Since their ICE/diesel/turbo engines are so laggy you can come back out of the throttle before the car really starts to accelerate hard. Try that with an M3 and you’ll be doing an extra 20-30MPH before you know it, when maybe all you wanted was a few additional MPH in order to slot into a gap.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
I’m not sure how this would work in an EV. I’ve only ever driven MB’s speed limiter, which can be quickly deactivated using kick-down. Since their ICE/diesel/turbo engines are so laggy you can come back out of the throttle before the car really starts to accelerate hard. Try that with an M3 and you’ll be doing an extra 20-30MPH before you know it, when maybe all you wanted was a few additional MPH in order to slot into a gap.
It worked fine in our Outlander PHEV, and original Ioniq Electric. Also works fine in our current Peugeot eRifter. Yes you could floor them to override it but I can’t remember a single occasion where it was necessary.

I agree and have said this exact same thing before also.

It worked fine in our Outlander PHEV, and original Ioniq Electric. Also works fine in our current Peugeot eRifter. Yes you could floor them to override it but I can’t remember a single occasion where it was necessary.
Right but say on a M3P, flooring it to come out of it is some serious acceleration. That could be dangerous if you didn’t want full throttle but just to get a smaller burst of speed. The cars you mention are much slower.

Right but say on a M3P, flooring it to come out of it is some serious acceleration. That could be dangerous if you didn’t want full throttle but just to get a smaller burst of speed. The cars you mention are much slower.
On my Kia, I just press the cancel button on the steering wheel, which would cancel either cruise control or speed limiter, depending which was currently active. You can floor the accelerator to override, but I don’t think I’ve ever used it, as it’s easier just to cancel with your thumb. I guess with a Tesla you would click the right scroll wheel or nudge the right stalk, depending on model.

That’s not what generally happens. The initial acceleration is usually inhibited slightly so that control can be maintained.
But as said earlier, you can just cancel the limiter. Given that my use for it is just popping into town where there are often speed cameras, I’d sooner have a proper limiter than yet another bong to add to the myriad of identical bongs.

Since Tesla haven’t mastered TACC, AP or FSD yet, there is no reason to suppose that they could implement a speed limiter without issue.