Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have assumed the car would recognise that you were in a street-lit area and not use the adaptive high beam at all. Do we know if this is the case?
Nope it's still the same as the old auto high beams and keeps it on high beam and doing the adaptive thing when it sees cars.

This is quite poor, really should be a speed limit or geofencing to turn off high beams when you're going slow or in an urban environment.

VW and Porsche manage to do that.

That really seems like an oversight. You'd have thought the array of computers would have some kind of recognition of street lights available... well, you know what they say about assumptions!

The computers have the potential to do lots of things ... this is why we (sometimes) get features added by software updates ... but someone has to do the coding whilst (hopefully) avoiding messing up some other existing function!

That has never been the case with the previous auto dip/high beam so I would be surprised if that has changed with matrix.
In my experience my car would often put high beam on in the middle of towns with street lighting etc. The only thing that seems to stop it is if it perceives a visible light source as being "oncoming". I should note also that it didn't make a difference whether I had projector or matrix headlights, on the same car, the behaviour was the same.

This is a marked difference from a previous car, a 2013 Audi no less, that wouldn't turn on main beam in places with sufficient ambient lighting.

Haven't driven the car post this update but not expecting that aspect of it to change.

My view on full beams in built-up areas is that it's more important for drivers to be able to see potential hazards as well as possible than it is to avoid shining some light into bedroom windows. Obviously with the provision that other drivers, cyclists, horse riders etc aren't dazzled.

Is that not the purpose of street lights though? Street lights that, I might add, are pointing downwards, and have a warm colour temperature.

I would not be particularly amused if someone was blasting their ice cold main beam into my living room. 🤷‍♂️

The computers have the potential to do lots of things ... this is why we (sometimes) get features added by software updates ... but someone has to do the coding whilst (hopefully) avoiding messing up some other existing function!
This is actually the biggest issue that it requires someone to do the coding, there's not enough people with the skillsets required which is why development can take longer than we'd all hope. I'm sure Tesla has a pretty big AI team but it still isn't big enough to cover all we'd like them to do so they have to focus on what makes the most sense for their business. FSD Beta is obviously a massive one for Elon and I think to be fair, being in the front running on that is important but other items then get pushed aside somewhat.

And street lighting it not all equal - quite a few street lit areas I drive through are very poorly illuminated and then the question of the trade-off between maybe annoying someone sat safely in their home vs being able to see all sorts of potential hazards is straightforward IMV. If the person sat at home is frequently annoyed by it they can always solve it with blackout curtains or something I guess.

Given the choice of a) a car that automatically turns off auto/matrix main beam when entering any street-lit area and requires the driver to manually use main beam to spot hazards VS b) a car that leaves main beam on and requires the drive to manually turn it off where deemed necessary and where the auto/matrix function hasn't done it, then I think the latter is the safer and preferable option on the whole.

Last edited:
I've seen so many other Tesla's on the road with misaligned headlights. I've even flagged others to let them know that they should at least auto calibrate. They should have used this opportunity to push some blurb notification within the update to have users at least recalibrate on a level surface

I've seen so many other Tesla's on the road with misaligned headlights. I've even flagged others to let them know that they should at least auto calibrate. They should have used this opportunity to push some blurb notification within the update to have users at least recalibrate on a level surface
You'd think they could be smarter about this, must be a way for them to tell the tilt on the car and use that as an offset to make sure the lights are correct regardless. Just feels like something they could fix but it's low priority like the wipers that it doesn't get the attention it maybe should.

You'd think they could be smarter about this, must be a way for them to tell the tilt on the car and use that as an offset to make sure the lights are correct regardless. Just feels like something they could fix but it's low priority like the wipers that it doesn't get the attention it maybe should.
There's only so many hours in the day and there are game updates and hilarious lock sounds to code

There is. On early cars there are sensors on the suspension which alter the lights depending on how the car is loaded. On later cars there's an internal tilt sensor doing the same job.
The problem all along has been after the lights are calibrated, over time for some reason which has never been fully explained, they'll lose that calibration and end up too high or too low on a subsequent drive and then you have to recalibrate them again.

My view on full beams in built-up areas is that it's more important for drivers to be able to see potential hazards as well as possible than it is to avoid shining some light into bedroom windows. Obviously with the provision that other drivers, cyclists, horse riders etc aren't dazzled.
Whilst not a legal requirement because it isn't a MUST, the Highway Code stated you SHOULD use dipped headlights in built-up areas.

It is a legal requirement that you MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

If you cannot see potential hazards in time then you are driving too quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and browellm