Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyoner share what their car looks like at night with dipped beam on? I'm not convinced mine are right. They are level in the calibration mode (when they look like staircase blocks with hard edges - if that makes sense) but when in use it is pretty pronounced on the left. I know it is raised on the nearside but just curious whether mine are within spec.

Not quite as many LED's as VW lol. I am just happy to have them finally activated. My car will be 2 years old end of this month and to get a feature like this activated.. brilliant.

I was answering a question regarding blockiness.

Nothing wrong with making comparisons to competitors either, especially as I owned an ID.3 so can do that from experience.

Just sat in a layby seeing how well the lights work as cars drive past and I've noticed as soon as there are no cars in front of me I can hear the Headlights whirring and moving up slightly then when a car comes into frame the whole light drops suddenly then moves back up when there are no cars. I've also found that when following another car there is a large dark spot behind the car ahead of me. This means it's very easy to see the sides of the road but not the actual road ahead.

Can anyoner share what their car looks like at night with dipped beam on? I'm not convinced mine are right. They are level in the calibration mode (when they look like staircase blocks with hard edges - if that makes sense) but when in use it is pretty pronounced on the left. I know it is raised on the nearside but just curious whether mine are within spec.

These are mine. I'm not sure if they are right but I just followed the service manual adjustment method so they should be pretty close.

Attachments

• 2024-03-1919.21.046305925102195144677.jpg
    2024-03-1919.21.046305925102195144677.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I got this last night, but didn't try it in the dark but the lights came on for my commute this morning but I couldn't really see what they were doing. I found the symbols shown on the screen a little confusing, are other seeing the same? The adaptive headlights was definitely on in settings.

The left stalk switches between dipped and auto + dipped. Did that mean it was illuminating specific pixels ? Does it ever show the full beam icon anymore? I'm kinda used to the old model where it's very clear which mode you are really in. I'm not really sure my brain understands what dipped means, it used to feel like a beam that was angled more downwards, but I guess it was just turning off specific pixels, I htink my brain is stuck thinking about when there were two bulbs.
Ok, I figured it out on the way home.

When it's working in fully adaptive mode the blue full beam icon shows, with the A to show it's automatic. Easy to spot it doing it's thing which looks cool but perhaps distracting as I was looking for it, I guess the novelty will pass.

Under the right circumstances it will revert to just being dipped, and shows the dipped green icon on the screen, I think this seemed to be based on light level but takes a little while to adapt, and some tall led streetlights maybe aren't bright enough. It might also be speed, was hard to tell as the 2 tend to go hand in hand. I know other people and videos claim it doesn't react to streetlights, but that's clearly not the case in 2024.8.4 as I never changed the setting and it transitioned multiple times from dipped to full beam with adaptive on my journey.

I'm not entirely sure why it was an advantage to illuminate the verges on the M40, and even on a dark country lane it didnt really seem like a benefit over the auto dips to me, but perhaps I'm just not easily impressed.

Reactions: SteveH13
Has anybody experienced issues with JACK MODE and SMART AIR SUSPENSION on Model S or X? When I pick LOW it selects MEDIUM, if I select MEDIUM it selects HIGH and when I select HIGH it selects VERY HIGH. I can't enable JACK MODE either... But if I select VERY HIGH it enables JACK MODE! Is it coincidence I am experiencing these issues or is it a bug on 2024.8.4? I didn't have these issues until I updated yesterday... 2016 US Model S 90D

Has anybody experienced issues with JACK MODE and SMART AIR SUSPENSION on Model S or X? When I pick LOW it selects MEDIUM, if I select MEDIUM it selects HIGH and when I select HIGH it selects VERY HIGH. I can't enable JACK MODE either... But if I select VERY HIGH it enables JACK MODE! Is it coincidence I am experiencing these issues or is it a bug on 2024.8.4? I didn't have these issues until I updated yesterday... 2016 US Model S 90D
You’ve ended up in the UK subforum and while we have MS with air suspension, there won’t be many with recent cars. I think Tesla have only sold about 20 MS in total here since the big facelift a few years ago.

That said, I’d try 2 reboots, the scroll wheel one and the “change the car config” one. If you’re not familiar with the latter, change the wheel size or language, it seems to causes the config to be reloaded, you can change it straight back afterwards before driving.

I wonder, would a parent of a child rather their child a) never gets dazzled but also potentially is not seen when they are in an area not lit by a dipped beam, or, b) possibly gets dazzled occasionally but has a higher likelihood of being seen earlier / at all by a driver
I wonder, if you were walking down a pavement with your child, would rather have absolutely zero vision due to eleventy billion lumens of misaligned Tesla headlights in your eyes, or that car dropping to dipped beam?

Staying on full beam suggests to the pedestrians that you haven’t seen them at all and is incredibly antisocial. Think about how irritating it is when someone doesn’t dip their lights when you’re driving - but you expect to stay on full beam and have pedestrians thank you on bended knee for the privilege?

Oh, and totally unrelated, but full beam is “more” than just illuminating more pixel elements or whacking the power up. The whole unit is mechanically angled up when high beam is engaged, so you couldn’t really have the matrix effect in an urban environment anyway.

Reactions: browellm
This conversation is rather circular isn’t it?

We know Tesla doesn’t dip the headlights automatically in lit areas and never has.

You either solve it by pushing forward on the light stalk (or pressing the headlight button in newer car) or you don’t bother and leave it on. It’s entirely your choice.

Let’s move on….
My Highland dips the headlight automatically in lit areas.

This conversation is rather circular isn’t it?

We know Tesla doesn’t dip the headlights automatically in lit areas and never has.

You either solve it by pushing forward on the light stalk (or pressing the headlight button in newer car) or you don’t bother and leave it on. It’s entirely your choice.

Let’s move on….
Exactly - the only difference in opinion is where the starting point is.

Most manufactures it seems choose to have a starting point of any street lighting detected then switch to dipped. That then requires the driver to manually switch on main beam if the street lighting is patchy/inadequate (or I suppose they can also choose to just carry on with dipped beam even if they’ve recognised they can’t see vary well just in case they might dazzle someone momentarily).

Another approach (which it seems Tesla maybe follow) is to have a starting point of maintaining main beam even where street lighting is detected (at least until very good light levels are detected), and then requiring the driver to manually switch to dipped beam when main beam would dazzle others.

In certain scenarios one or the other may be preferable, but overall I prefer the latter.

Yes that does seem a bit extreme in that clip - hopefully not as overt in real life. Have also seen some chat that the matrix effect may also be different in 3/Y vs the S in that clip.
Not from the video clips I've seen of UK 3/Ys with the feature.

To be fair though, my previous car (Discovery Sport) with matrix lights also used to blank off parked vehicles but they were in laybys on A-roads as it recognised built up streetlit areas and didn't activate them.