Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this last night, but didn't try it in the dark but the lights came on for my commute this morning but I couldn't really see what they were doing. I found the symbols shown on the screen a little confusing, are other seeing the same? The adaptive headlights was definitely on in settings.

The left stalk switches between dipped and auto + dipped. Did that mean it was illuminating specific pixels ? Does it ever show the full beam icon anymore? I'm kinda used to the old model where it's very clear which mode you are really in. I'm not really sure my brain understands what dipped means, it used to feel like a beam that was angled more downwards, but I guess it was just turning off specific pixels, I htink my brain is stuck thinking about when there were two bulbs.

I had the same experience with confusing symbols. I left full beam on, and it seemed to dip the light spread in the direction of oncoming vehicles. I wasn't flashed at all which is some indication that it is working. This was on an un-lit A road at rush hour with plenty of traffic in both directions.

I need to try again when it is not raining and I can actually see through the crappy auto-wiped windscreen.

Reactions: GRiLLA
The icon changed, it's now just an arrow.. you're not going crazy lol
Just seen this pop up… couldn’t remember what old icon was lol

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpeg
    IMG_0470.jpeg
    594.6 KB · Views: 12
This conversation is rather circular isn’t it?

We know Tesla doesn’t dip the headlights automatically in lit areas and never has.

You either solve it by pushing forward on the light stalk (or pressing the headlight button in newer car) or you don’t bother and leave it on. It’s entirely your choice.

Let’s move on….

Well it does now based on me driving my actual car which has had the new update. It takes a little while, maybe 30s after you enter an area with streetlights then it switching from the adaptive full beam to simple dipped. This is incredibly clear to see as the icon on the screen also changes. I did find one set of streetlights that were very tall white LEDS that didn't seem to trigger it to change, but maybe I wasn't under them long enough, they were also pretty dim.

I assume the delay is to stop it rapidly changing under each streetlamp which would be annoying.

True, but other marques don't do a "rapidly changing" thing with their full beam.

Teslas know when the ambient light is low enough to turn the headlights on in the first place, vs just having DRLs, so it's a bit puzzling how this isn't also used to determine properly when to turn on main beam, or at least the lower threshold is not high enough.

I've had main beam stay on as I've entered villages, etc to the point where I've felt self-conscious about it and manually turned them off. Hopefully in time the sensitivity will be adjusted.

True, but other marques don't do a "rapidly changing" thing with their full beam.

Teslas know when the ambient light is low enough to turn the headlights on in the first place, vs just having DRLs, so it's a bit puzzling how this isn't also used to determine properly when to turn on main beam, or at least the lower threshold is not high enough.

I've had main beam stay on as I've entered villages, etc to the point where I've felt self-conscious about it and manually turned them off. Hopefully in time the sensitivity will be adjusted.
Not sure of your point, that's clearly set at a level of light to turn off the headlights. I'm not sure the levels they have set for the new feature is wrong it's always going to be a balance as you wouldn't want the dips to come on for a lone streetlamp. The brightness of streetlamps is very variable these days since LED lights. On my drive home yesterday it seemed to get the change pretty sensibly.

The only point I would question is whether it's right for the adaptive full beam to work on a reasonably busy motorway, I think I would be happy with just dipped when it's already blocking off lots of segments.

Not sure of your point, that's clearly set at a level of light to turn off the headlights. I'm not sure the levels they have set for the new feature is wrong it's always going to be a balance as you wouldn't want the dips to come on for a lone streetlamp. The brightness of streetlamps is very variable these days since LED lights. On my drive home yesterday it seemed to get the change pretty sensibly.

It was mainly that there is clearly some ambient light logic in the car software for it to turn headlights on at all when it starts getting dark. My simplistic query was that if it measures ambient light - why can't it determine that you're in an area of sufficient street lighting and not turn main beam on there?

it feels like all they would need to do is lower the ambient light threshold before main beam is activated, therefore in villages etc they wouldn't come on. For all I know though it's a conscious choice by Tesla to have main beams on even with street lights for the betterment of the driver. I feel like its anti-social though.

The only point I would question is whether it's right for the adaptive full beam to work on a reasonably busy motorway, I think I would be happy with just dipped when it's already blocking off lots of segments.
Agreed. No need for it on the motorway in my opinion.

Can anyone who now has the update confirm if the behaviour of the current speed setting for AP has changed - can you now use the current speed option, turn on AP and then have AP exceed the detected speed limit?

Currently, AP does not allow cruise control to be set even a single mph over the detected speed limit when the current speed option is used, except seemingly on motorways and I think most dual carriageways.

A system which switches to dipped beams based on actual lighting levels is much more sensible than one which switches based on a simple speed or GPS based cutoff, IMV, or even one which possibly switches to dipped at the mere sight of a single street light somewhere.

Anyway, interesting to see they are having similar discussions over in Germany/Austria…!

IMG_6780.png

IMG_6782.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Utumno
it feels like all they would need to do is lower the ambient light threshold before main beam is activated, therefore in villages etc they wouldn't come on. For all I know though it's a conscious choice by Tesla to have main beams on even with street lights for the betterment of the driver. I feel like its anti-social though.
It doesn't though, as I posted above with the 2024.8.4 update my car is switching to dipped rather than adaptive full beam when there are streetlights that are bright enough. I agree it didn't used to do this with the old autodips, but its new with the new adaptive stuff. It does seem to be on a delay though, need to be under streetlights for maybe 20, 30s for it to switch.