Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The signage is very clear so if you've already decided you want to take the M6 Toll (which I'd recommend) then just follow the road signs. I just find it annoying that the voice guidance is non-existant at these junctions. I mean I know which way I'm planning to go, but the whole point of the satnav is that it can reroute if there are issues. So it would be helpful if it would actually tell me which way it wants to send me. (That said, in reality, I really can't remember ever having any major holdups on the M6 Toll.)

Notes on toll payment if you haven't used it recently (or ever):

1. All the toll booths are unstaffed (although there is a call button for assistance). Been that way for as long as I can remember.
2. As of a few years ago they no longer take cash. It's all card only these days.
3. Historically the card readers at the toll booths didn't accept Apple Pay or Google Pay, but I understand that has now been resolved as part of the upgrades in the last couple of months.

Everything - junctions and payment - is clearly marked, so I don't anticipate you'll have any problems.
Other useful point regarding 'M6 toll etiquette'

Don't forget to floor it once the barrier goes up 😁

In the morning when I tried to set up navigation keele SC is out of order - I am sure I can do at the Trafford centre but heard some stories about that being busy and taxis occupying it all the time. Is there anything on return from Manchester if keele is taken out with around 40% SoC. I am looking for Tesla SCs. I can check ABRP but that keeps including keele SC. Any locals aware of other SCs from Manchester to Cambridge, I am taking M6 on my return.
Another alternative is Trentham Gardens (18 SuCs), just off the M6. I prefer to use this rather than Keele, they are less than 5 miles apart.

1. All the toll booths are unstaffed (although there is a call button for assistance). Been that way for as long as I can remember.
I can confirm that the Toll booths used to be manned, it’s imprinted on my mind….

On one occasion I had to stretch rather too far from the side window to reach the card reader slot at one of the automated gates, however a very strong wind snatched the card away from my finger tips.

It flew off & landed under the car immediately behind. They helpfully stared to reverse but the car behind them was rather too close & the two collided. Both got out and started to argue.

A male attendant jumped out of his booth to attend but immediately a loud female voice boomed out of the speakers “xxxx return to your booth and put on your hi-viz” He stuck up two fingers in the direction of the controller and stomped away shouting something along the lines of “that’s it, I’ve had just about enough of you today, you ####ing b#tch…. I quit this ####ing job”

Meanwhile I gingerly retrieved my card, got in the car, paid & sheepishly drove away feeling somewhat responsible even though my car hadn’t moved throughout the whole episode.

Someone else’s insurance claim and a job resignation are hard to forget!

Another alternative is Trentham Gardens (18 SuCs), just off the M6
Thanks, sometime when I use ABRP in my ipad I can magnify and check nearby places for any other chargers and probably more time to plan too. But when use my mobile phone I find it difficult if ABRP doesn’t give any alternative chargers. I normally change the too quick charge or long charge to find out options. But again it would be helpful if it gives an indication of nearby Tesla chargers without having to zoom in and zoom out.

Though Keele was taken out when I started but by the time I finished my charging at Rugby, keele was back online. But then realised there are both Trentham (slightly off M6) and Hilton park on M6. ABRP on my quick search didn’t show this as an option at all. May be I should have magnified and checked for chargers on route. I know there are ways to find out but on a quick dash and go sort of trips and when one charger suggested by Tesla is taken out, both Tesla and ABRP lacks that final bit of flexibility. Are there any restrictions on Hilton park? like - registered for parking etc., - useful to know!

I was in a hurry yesterday and my 9 year old was sitting next to me poking the screen on every opportunity to go back to playing beach buggy.

Is this new in the UK? Seen it mentioned in release notes a while ago but maybe this is the first time I've been on route to a SuC. Shows a predicted availability rather than current, and how many other cars you are racing. It didn't seem very accurate, but then there were 4 stalls blocked off due to groundworks (didn't look like a Tesla upgrade, just some power heading to somewhere else). Picture taken by my passenger.

1713124780745.png

Is this new in the UK? Seen it mentioned in release notes a while ago but maybe this is the first time I've been on route to a SuC. Shows a predicted availability rather than current, and how many other cars you are racing. It didn't seem very accurate, but then there were 4 stalls blocked off due to groundworks (didn't look like a Tesla upgrade, just some power heading to somewhere else). Picture taken by my passenger.

View attachment 1038536

Was the time your passenger took the picture at (13:37) intentional? I love it!

That looks rather ambiguous to me.

It doesn't show current occupancy and only records Telas en route that are preconditioning/using the SuC as a destination. Some of us (maybe only me?) prefer to navigate to the address/postcode rather than to the SuC itself.

Reactions: Doudeau
That looks rather ambiguous to me.

It doesn't show current occupancy and only records Telas en route that are preconditioning/using the SuC as a destination. Some of us (maybe only me?) prefer to navigate to the address/postcode rather than using the SuC as the destination.
and without knowing when they will get there, what's the point?

Also noted this past week that there seemed to be acknowledgment of non-Tesla’s taking up multiple bays in real-time.
E.g. ‘16 chargers, 8 vehicles charging, 6 chargers available’ implying a couple of 3rd party vehicles tying up two bays.

Could have just been unavailable chargers, but this wasn’t explicitly mentioned.

Reactions: Burley
and without knowing when they will get there, what's the point?
Well assuming they follow the sat nav, the car does know when it'll get there and I guess then so does Tesla. This system would be great if other cars couldn't also use them and @Drew57 wasn't also hacking the system by not navigating to the superchargers directly ;)

Regardless I think this is a nice improvement even if you know it simply cannot be perfect. They'll know when cars plugged in are roughly going to unplug plus how many are going to a charger. If it's too busy they can route other cars to other chargers instead. One of those benefits when you both sell the cars and also own a large charging network.

Reactions: M1tch and Adopado
The revised supercharger screen looks interesting to me, Tesla wording might leave a little to desired but I guess if they know you’re 10 mins away, maybe say 3 cars are due to finish charging in the next 10 mins freeing up their spaces and maybe 2 cars are on their way and will get there before you, it would be useful (accepting not everyone puts it in their navigation). But I’ve guessed at that logic.. without knowing what its actually saying it’s data and not information

Reactions: FastLaneJB

View attachment 1038536
Flow control for Teslas. It was mentioned in a presentation about 2 years ago. I had thought of suggesting it to Tesla as I used to do that for aircraft, or a version of it, in the '80s and'90s. Yes, I delayed your flights.. but kept you safe 😀.

Reactions: init6
The revised supercharger screen looks interesting to me, Tesla wording might leave a little to desired but I guess if they know you’re 10 mins away, maybe say 3 cars are due to finish charging in the next 10 mins freeing up their spaces and maybe 2 cars are on their way and will get there before you, it would be useful (accepting not everyone puts it in their navigation). But I’ve guessed at that logic.. without knowing what its actually saying it’s data and not information
As read it says to me 'don't bother, you'll have 5 cars fighting for 2 spaces'. But it's more complex than that as other cars will finish, non-teslas can turn up, etc.

As read it says to me 'don't bother, you'll have 5 cars fighting for 2 spaces'. But it's more complex than that as other cars will finish, non-teslas can turn up, etc.
It says 5 cars are inbound at the moment, but that will inevitably change over time as people decide to reroute, get caught in traffic etc. It can only be a snapshot of that particular moment. The numbers should get more accurate as you get closer to the supercharger and the time of your arrival. On the other hand it will also change as people decide to cut their charging short perhaps decide they can stop at another supercharger which may give a faster charge. It will never be 100% accurate until the cars are all on FSD with no human intervention and they will always stick to the plan. And that's just fir the Teslas..add the other marques into the equation.....

Cambridge is open to non Teslas and their screen just says 9 out of 10 free.
I tapped on one this morning that I often pass and is almost never busy. It's not open to non-Tesla's and it showed none in use and 0 cars travelling there also.

I think if it's not open to non-Tesla's, they should be able to do this really quite well. With non-Tesla's though that simply won't be possible to accurately track plus won't know if one of them is using 2 bays because the cables aren't long enough. Kind of a shame they had to open it up as this is a nice quality of life improvement that only really will work properly if it's kept Tesla only.