Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at Sarn this week, didn't see any evidence that any of the SuperChargers were offline or going to be removed. There are the 4 new Applegreen chargers being installed in a weird layout.
Yes I assume the OP meant that any new chargers going in at Welcome Break services will be Applegreen and not Tesla: There is no precedent for commissioned Tesla stalls being removed from their service areas - the only ones that have gone have been mothballed ones built 5+ years ago.

In contrast, Moto are adding superchargers at some sites although the Gridserve rapids appear to be getting priority. There is a "coming soon" marker for Swansea which may hint at Tesla chargers going in e.g. at Swansea West which, if it happens, would be an alternative to Sarn for many trips in the area. It's still labelled as Q4 2022 which is rather unrealistic but one can hope...

Reactions: CMc1
The risk for me for Welcome Break of having their own Charging network is getting in trouble with competitions and markets authority for monopolisation. Atleast with Tesla there they can claim multi network. Equally you can see how they don’t want Tesla exclusive sites due to it driving away other EV Users.

The risk for me for Welcome Break of having their own Charging network is getting in trouble with competitions and markets authority for monopolisation. Atleast with Tesla there they can claim multi network. Equally you can see how they don’t want Tesla exclusive sites due to it driving away other EV Users.

It may be a consideration, but hasn't been a concern for the other services they provide - with WB providing only Starbucks, Moto providing only Costa etc. (and I believe the same on fuel branding, though I haven't bought fuel at a MSA more than about once in 40 years so I haven't been paying attention!). Presumably the CMA accept these exclusives on the basis that drivers can stop elsewhere if they don't like it. They certainly seem to have got away with charging monopoly prices for petrol.

It wouldn't typically be considered an issue because Welcome Break don't have a monopoly on motorway service areas. Generally there's no problem with one retailer choosing to stock products from only one manufacturer unless that retailer itself has a monopoly, or nearly so, so superficially you'd expect this to be the same.

But I agree it's not 100% clear cut. Given obvious range limitations, it could be argued that they might have an effective monopoly in their local area if there is no other MSA sufficiently close to give drivers a real choice as to where to charge. This is sort of similar to OFCOM concluding that mobile operators had a monopoly on terminating calls to their own subscribers.

Motorway service areas are granted as stand-alone sites (no one can decide to open an alternative and get a junction built to serve it) so monopoly rules do apply to things like fuel, BUT my understanding is they sidestep issues with price-gouging and monopolies on fuel provision by having the majority provided by one supplier but then a different one (E.g. One HGV pump or area) supplied by a second.
I'm no expert though, so someone else might be able to confirm or provide detail.

Hi All,

Has anyone heard anything about any plans for a supercharger site around the Hull area. I fairly regularly catch the Hull Rotterdam ferry, and a supercharger site near by would be a great help
if its not on the map it is highly unlikely there are any firm plans or even not firm plans or that anyone knows anything if there are. ( its not on the map)

Reactions: s_zigmond
Just done a trip south from Aberdeenshire to Bucks via Abington n/s, Charnock Richards( access roads not via the nav route) and Hopwood Park (very busy, the whole site, not just superchargers)
I hadn't realised just how dynamic the supercharger pricing was. I planned the English part of the route last night, in the car looking at lowest prices for the route. CharnockR of 47p/kW and 48p for Hopwood and 46p for Abington, worked for us
Today I paid in the 50s p for both CR and Hopwood 52p I think it was.
I hasn't realised these prices would change daily.

Hi All,

Has anyone heard anything about any plans for a supercharger site around the Hull area. I fairly regularly catch the Hull Rotterdam ferry, and a supercharger site near by would be a great help
Wait until the next vote and if it it isn't on the list, you can suggest a location. Then cross your fingers it gets the top vote for that quarter.

Reactions: s_zigmond
QQ, and apologies if there is an obvious answer but picked my M3 on Wednesday.

I charged on Wednesday in South Mimms and it charged me 49p/kWh. I charged yesterday (at 20.45 if it matters) at Cambridge and it charged me 56p/kWh. Why this and how do I know beforehand the price per kWh?

QQ, and apologies if there is an obvious answer but picked my M3 on Wednesday.

I charged on Wednesday in South Mimms and it charged me 49p/kWh. I charged yesterday (at 20.45 if it matters) at Cambridge and it charged me 56p/kWh. Why this and how do I know beforehand the price per kWh?
Welcome. This thread is for UK site news but to answer;

Tesla introduced time-of-use tarriff to help the grid and reflect more against what they are paying to buy at.

You can view pricing in the app or on the Nav by clicking the red pin where the supercharger is located.

Some info here: Tesla Introduces Dynamic Pricing on Superchargers in Europe to Reduce Congestion & Grid Load

Reactions: giorgosa
Welcome. This thread is for UK site news but to answer;

Tesla introduced time-of-use tarriff to help the grid and reflect more against what they are paying to buy at.

You can view pricing in the app or on the Nav by clicking the red pin where the supercharger is located.

Some info here: Tesla Introduces Dynamic Pricing on Superchargers in Europe to Reduce Congestion & Grid Load

CMc1 : Please can you advise how to view pricing within the iPhone Tesla app as mentioned in the above quote?

I can view the pricing ok in the car, but in the App, no pricing is shown when you click on the red tag at the supercharger - just the number of stalls / stalls available and kW max. Thank you