Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually they probably could do the latter but I would say it would be more like:
Forcing Microsoft to include competitors browsers on the Windows platform
or
Forcing Google stop arrangements to pre-install only its apps on Android phones
or
Forcing Apple iPhones to charge using USB type C

EU already did the first 2 and watch this space for number 3
I would argue it’s more like my fast food chain example as we are talking about how physical locations of real estate is to be used, unlike those examples you’ve raised.

View attachment 500784

I take a slightly different view.

When I bought my Model S in Nov 17 one of the sell points was SC's. This is still a major sell point and sites keep getting created (albeit not in Elon time). Those rights to draw electricity, lay and maintain cables etc are subject to private legal arrangements between Tesla and adjoining landowners. Unless there is some form of Stalin-like appropriation by Govt how can the EU or parliament legislate to divvy up those sites with existing private rights. They may be able to affect new sites but the existing appear safe unless Tesla and the landowners decide otherwise.
When you say "Stalin like appropriation by Govt" you mean like the one they did for the M6 toll or the one planned for HS2?. That kind of "Stalin like appropriation by Govt". You're right that could never happen in this day and age :)
Even in the Land of the Free they have govt ability to do that sort of thing written into the constitution. Its called Eminent Domain.
But it was not quite what I meant though. I was really thinking about places like motorway services, which are often not in major metropolitan areas, Seems they often have issues with power supply when people want to install charge points. So SC's already there could limit the ability to install generic chargers that everyone can use. And when faced with issues like that I think that you will be unable to convince me that legislation could never force the SC's to be opened up to all drivers. Not saying it will happen. but don't think that it can't,

Presumably Tesla would ask the government to cover the cost of changing the cables.
California just passed a law that all public chargers have to have a display showing the cost and number of KWh etc. This is a complete waste of time for Tesla where the car already shows this information. Never the less superchargers are not exempt even existing ones ( though there is a few years to comply). So even though it benefits no one Tesla will have to do this and pay for it. California will not be covering the cost. The law itself is a good one since most companies were charging by the minute which is evil in my opinion. Tesla was just caught in the crossfire but caught they are.

And I have just remembered that this is the SuperCharger Site news thread and we have gone a bit off topic so I will go somewhere else to wind people up :D

Last edited:
SC's are viewed as hogging the good locations, preventing 3rd party chargers being installed

The total number of stalls needed at each site over the next few years is much greater than the size of any Tesla Supercharger, and I have never heard of Tesla preventing other charging networks operating on the same site. Hence saying they are "hogging the good locations" does not make sense.

The most that can be claimed is that they are taking customers away from other networks and this may make demand too low at some sites for another network to operate a cluster of rapid.

California just passed a law that all public chargers have to have a display showing the cost and number of KWh etc. This is a complete waste of time for Tesla where the car already shows this information. Never the less superchargers are not exempt even existing ones ( though there is a few years to comply). So even though it benefits no one Tesla will have to do this and pay for it. California will not be covering the cost. The law itself is a good one since most companies were charging by the minute which is evil in my opinion. Tesla was just caught in the crossfire but caught they are.

And I have just remembered that this is the SuperCharger Site news thread and we have gone a bit off topic so I will go somewhere else to wind people up :D
Surely it is relevant, as we're discussing possibility of our dear SC sites been forced to open up for use by those commoner EVs

• Funny
Reactions: Beady3647
Construction activity appeared just this week at Woodall southbound. Cable ducting (for routing cables) has been put in which goes from next to Stall 1A to between Shell garage and Days Inn hotel. No action near the 4 stall inverters though.
Possible expansion for southbound? Or new stalls for the hotel?

busy supercharger

excuse the poor photos

7603C745-B8EA-49A6-96AD-28D16BE3CF49.jpeg

FBF9563A-F256-421C-903F-94BCEA86A4A9.jpeg
44FD5E79-C255-494D-A206-4FF4F48A5717.jpeg
C4833933-F968-4A46-8359-B0ECF2CAFC44.jpeg
4DA4B739-493B-4844-A8B4-EAF311E5545B.jpeg
CA0F2B67-197C-4148-BB0C-18BD9D58BC45.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon
Construction activity appeared just this week at Woodall southbound. Cable ducting (for routing cables) has been put in which goes from next to Stall 1A to between Shell garage and Days Inn hotel. No action near the 4 stall inverters though.
Possible expansion for southbound? Or new stalls for the hotel?

busy supercharger

excuse the poor photos

View attachment 500913
View attachment 500908 View attachment 500909 View attachment 500910 View attachment 500911 View attachment 500912
Purple cable is data iirc

Greenwich one makes sense to me. Right next to the O2, bunch of hotels there. Sure, there are better locations, but compared to the one nearby that I had to make THREE attempts to find once, and then go through a barrier, and down some stairs and over a pit of spikes, and answer three questions to a mysterious knight to access.... this one seems better.
Nice to know tesla have remembered the UK exists and is buying cars.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Aren't these just asking to be abused? Poor location -in a car park for a hotel that has a fee. Just like Northampton... at least that one serves the Motorway traffic.

I’m all for expansion but this seems like a poor choice of location.

Abused by whom?

Tesla owners will pay a penalty fee per minute if they hog charging stations after their vehicle stops charging. This policy seems to have been quite successful.

As for the hotel charging a fee, @JCremonini has stated that they will not it charge Tesla owners who are using the supercharger any parking fee as long as they report to reception.

example of why these locations are a poor choice

this is at Westfield

Sam Albuquerque on Twitter

1A10AEE6-3414-4B43-804C-70FE1C46724D.jpeg

Attachments

• D574BED6-3389-46C0-9CAA-9FB35F0C4A9B.jpeg
    D574BED6-3389-46C0-9CAA-9FB35F0C4A9B.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 28