Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting chat with staff whilst at Leeds SC today:
-Wetherby Services Supercharger site in the works*
-Leeds East pin looks to be the new services at Leeds Skelton Lake*
-Ferrybridge now seems to be happening again
-Plan is V3 for all new and existing sites moving forwards
-Tesla have now cut back on assistance on Isle of Man apparently...so don't get stuck there with car issues!
-V3 Superchargers at Leeds SC currently split off a row of 4 bays (I assumed it was off 2 as I've found it a bit slower than expected for V3 when charging there before) - but will be changed to single bays in the future to increase charge rate.

*I pointed out I can't see a north of Leeds pin on the map for Wetherby - so possibly only one of Wetherby and Leeds Skelton Lake happening now...or else there are other sites lined up not yet with pins visible?

Sorry if repeating any of this from earlier in the thread...136 pages is getting long to sift through for updates(!!)

P.s. if anyone has any updates on any further sites planned in the vast desert on A1 between Scotch Corner down to Grantham as well as the sizeable area of the country east of there...appreciated! :cool::rolleyes::)

Whetherby makes sense as part of Moto and captures a lot of traffic on a vital road. Wonder if this will be set up with Ecotricity as the other Moto locations
Yes; I would expect every Moto site to follow the same formula with it being a combined site typically with Tesla getting two more bays than Ecotricity.
I hope that all Moto sites have been assessed and are scheduled wherever possible, but only some require planning permission so many others are not public yet.

Interesting chat with staff whilst at Leeds SC today:
-Wetherby Services Supercharger site in the works*
-Leeds East pin looks to be the new services at Leeds Skelton Lake*
-Ferrybridge now seems to be happening again
-Plan is V3 for all new and existing sites moving forwards
-Tesla have now cut back on assistance on Isle of Man apparently...so don't get stuck there with car issues!
-V3 Superchargers at Leeds SC currently split off a row of 4 bays (I assumed it was off 2 as I've found it a bit slower than expected for V3 when charging there before) - but will be changed to single bays in the future to increase charge rate.

*I pointed out I can't see a north of Leeds pin on the map for Wetherby - so possibly only one of Wetherby and Leeds Skelton Lake happening now...or else there are other sites lined up not yet with pins visible?

Sorry if repeating any of this from earlier in the thread...136 pages is getting long to sift through for updates(!!)

P.s. if anyone has any updates on any further sites planned in the vast desert on A1 between Scotch Corner down to Grantham as well as the sizeable area of the country east of there...appreciated! :cool::rolleyes::)
Skelton Lakes is an interesting one; it’s one of the only motorway services with no chademo or 43kW Type 2 rapid chargers so Lead and Zoe owners are screwed over. It will be interesting to see if Superchargers do happen.

Reactions: adsheff
Just spoken to one of the new sales team regarding Cardiff opening. Pushed back until second week in March but subject to COVID restrictions being relaxed he thinks it will be operational then. I expect the SC to be installed at the same time so fingers crossed. Tesla website shows anticipated opening not far different.

• Helpful
Reactions: markrally
Does anyone know why Pease Pottage Superchargers have been stuck on “permit” for so many months?
Since rumours of Pease Pottage, Crawley Service Centre now has 8 superchargers which (somewhat) cover this area. I wonder whether Pease Pottage happens now (its not on the Tesla map, although I hope it does as the access is much better than the service centre)

Edit: also looks like there is talk of something at Gatwick Airport

Does anyone know why Pease Pottage Superchargers have been stuck on “permit” for so many months?
There were a number of planning applications submitted for Moto sites last July, of which Pease Pottage was one (the others spotted at the time were Stafford Northbound, Thurrock, Birch Westbound, Burghfield Westbound (Reading), Heston Westbound). I don't think it's unusual for a fair delay between planning application and construction - planning permits last for 3 years I think. Planning was withdrawn for Heston but I think the other applications are all still in place (and presumably all approved now - I haven't double-checked all of them but Pease Pottage was given the green light).

There is a Gridserve planning application at Gatwick airport plus the newly Supercharger at Tesla's service centre nearby but I would have thought the Moto site would be preferable for many journeys and won't be affected by nearby "competition". Given Pease Pottage seems to be part of a wider Moto rollout which also includes Ecotricity chargers and I don't see any reason for it not to happen.

Reactions: JupiterMan and CMc1
There were a number of planning applications submitted for Moto sites last July, of which Pease Pottage was one (the others spotted at the time were Stafford Northbound, Thurrock, Birch Westbound, Burghfield Westbound (Reading), Heston Westbound). I don't think it's unusual for a fair delay between planning application and construction - planning permits last for 3 years I think. Planning was withdrawn for Heston but I think the other applications are all still in place (and presumably all approved now - I haven't double-checked all of them but Pease Pottage was given the green light).

There is a Gridserve planning application at Gatwick airport plus the newly Supercharger at Tesla's service centre nearby but I would have thought the Moto site would be preferable for many journeys and won't be affected by nearby "competition". Given Pease Pottage seems to be part of a wider Moto rollout which also includes Ecotricity chargers and I don't see any reason for it not to happen.

Stafford Northbound was approved late October (20/32527/FUL | Formation of 18 dedicated electric vehicle charging parking spaces | Motorway Service Area Stafford Services M6 Northbound Stone ST15 0EU) for 12 Tesla and 6 Ecotricity chargers. It's not on the map, though, unless that's where they mean by Trentham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc

Heston was withdrawn and resubmitted, and I believe approved now.
I doubt any Moto application (e.g. Pease Pottage) would be impacted by other nearby non-motorway sites, so I’d expect the delay to be down to all the red tape involved with getting things prepared. There’ll be extensive discussion with the National Grid, or more likely just the DNO, to get the supply in. With the Ecotricity chargers included, there will likely be a 2-4MW supply required which is huge, so the planning, leases and works for that will be a substantial undertaking. Really hope we will see some signs of life soon. I pass by every few weeks and always stop in to check.

Reactions: cezdoc and ringi