Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over on TOUK Alex Rogers recently reported there are 12 supercharger stalls included in planning drawings for the new Exeter Service Centre.
Ref: Simple Search ref 22/0469/FUL and 23/0473/ADV (granted 21-Oct-22).
The proposal includes a canopy (I didn't spot any mention of solar panels) - see 1/04/2023_CD-1-00 - Proposed Site Plan.
Map coordinates are approx. (50.693700, -3.512200).

1682942071370.png

Site plan overlain on Google maps:

1682942123205.png

1682942128676.png

Alex on TOUK has recently found/collated three more new Supercharger sites:
1/3: Solihull Service Centre planning application: another new Tesla site that mentions supercharger stalls.
Reference: Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council planning applications PL/2023/00383/CLOPUD, approved 21-Apr-23.
6 x V3 shown on proposed site plan. Approximate location (52.377300, -1.796400).
This corresponds to Tesla's Solihull map marker with a target opening of Q1 2024.

1683116440006.png

1683116540855.png

2/3: construction underway at Moto Medway Westbound Services, originally spotted on the public Tesla Owners Club UK Facebook Group.
12 x V3 assumed (11 foundations visible in photo, at least one charger cabinet and a green substation).
Approximate location (51.340600, 0.608600).
Although this is westbound it presumably corresponds to Tesla's Medway Eastbound map marker with a target opening of Q3 2023.

1683116872795.png

3/3: A new planning application, awaiting approval, for a Supercharger at Stranraer.
This is for 4 stalls although the site layout has space for a second charger cabinet ("Phase II").
The Supporting Statement includes some interesting details, including V4 supercharger drawings.
Reference: Dumfries and Galloway Planning Applications 23/0739/CLP (application received 13-Apr-23)
Approximate location: (54.905500, -5.024200). This one doesn't have a corresponding Tesla map marker but it's a key location for travel in SW Scotland and Northern Ireland.

1683117500284.png

1683117450778.png

1683117553522.png

Alex on TOUK has recently found/collated three more new Supercharger sites:
1/3: Solihull Service Centre planning application: another new Tesla site that mentions supercharger stalls.
Reference: Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council planning applications PL/2023/00383/CLOPUD, approved 21-Apr-23.
6 x V3 shown on proposed site plan. Approximate location (52.377300, -1.796400).
This corresponds to Tesla's Solihull map marker with a target opening of Q1 2024.

View attachment 934113

View attachment 934114
That’s a great location for new Superchargers, a minute at most from the Shirley M42 junction.

It pains me to see otherwise undeveloped / natural grassland covered in Tarmac to service Teslas with nothing to mitigate the habitat loss. If Tesla really cared we'd see green roofs, permeable paving as well as planted areas / trees etc.
Now you mention it I feel the same way - I could be wrong but have the impression that up until recently Tesla service centres were brownfield / taking over vacated premises. The greenfield ones are all on business parks so it's the local councils that have decided to zone the land for development and ultimately it's up to them to mitigate habitat loss rather than the new tenants - but that doesn't mean that Tesla shouldn't try harder to play their part. It's disappointing to have a look at a new proposed site location on Google maps and see swathes of soon-to-be-removed greenery in the satellite photos.

Now you mention it I feel the same way - I could be wrong but have the impression that up until recently Tesla service centres were brownfield / taking over vacated premises. The greenfield ones are all on business parks so it's the local councils that have decided to zone the land for development and ultimately it's up to them to mitigate habitat loss rather than the new tenants - but that doesn't mean that Tesla shouldn't try harder to play their part. It's disappointing to have a look at a new proposed site location on Google maps and see swathes of soon-to-be-removed greenery in the satellite photos.
Councils are often looking to move these sort of businesses out of town so the urban sites can be converted to housing that has sustainable access to local amenities. It's definitely better for car dealers to be on remote edges of towns than housing estates. From what I've seen Tesla have generally looked to buy existing car dealerships where they have been available.

Reactions: adsheff and cezdoc
Looks like they are expanding the network again at Hopwood Park services in Birmingham. A large area in front of the current 16 superchargers is dug up with gates around them by RV2 power and then another section at the back of the car park is the same.
I was at Hilton Park Northbound services in the early hours of the morning and there is also a large area near the current Tesla SuperChargers being dug up. I didn’t see it closely as I wasn’t in my car so we weren’t charging, but it did look like possibly new EV chargers but I’d be expecting to see Applegreen chargers and not Tesla’s based on recent Welcome Break installs.

In general just more stalls at all the near motorway sites. Tebay North and South and Fleet North and South in particular.
It looks like Tebay has power supply issues preventing large scale upgrades and also now has competition for the available power. The owners of Tebay are doing their own branded chargers at their sites. The following link was posted on another site.

Westmorland Family Charging

• Informative
Reactions: thax1 and Adopado
It looks like there is a problem with the Tesla SC in Belfast. All four stalls have been showing as out of order since I checked it yesterday evening and are still OOO right now.

It was rather inconvenient as I was heading over on the ferry last night and cutting it very fine on time and charge to arrive at Cairnryan with 4% left about 5 mins before closing.

Fortunately there are ESB 50kW CCS2 close to the docks in Belfast (which are no longer free from last month).

It looks like Tebay has power supply issues preventing large scale upgrades and also now has competition for the available power. The owners of Tebay are doing their own branded chargers at their sites. The following link was posted on another site.

Westmorland Family Charging
Thanks, useful to see there will be 6 bays Northbound at Tebay and 6 N/S at Cairn Lodge, giving more options along the M6/M74.

Personal view that four crosses not the most rational place at the mo'. Somewhere around nesscliffe A5 would be way busier or if local authorities had any real sense of encouraging tourism then proper multiple charger stations in main carparks.. not just one or two that might be occupied or only 50kw.

Personal view that four crosses not the most rational place at the mo'. Somewhere around nesscliffe A5 would be way busier or if local authorities had any real sense of encouraging tourism then proper multiple charger stations in main carparks.. not just one or two that might be occupied or only 50kw.
Was hoping the new McDonalds near the Morrisons and cattle market in Oswestry was in the running for Superchargers. Just off A5 with plenty of amenities