Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Lake District needs Superchargers too. There are a few Instavolt chargers at the Booths in Windemere and Kendel. Last I checked there wasn't much else working.

There is some destination charging, but not nearly enough.

Voting was still open yesterday. If it is still open today, I urge anyone with uncast votes to vote for Windamere and Bath.
I agree charging options are not great but I’m not sure I agree it’s a priority for a significant number of ‘ultra rapid’ chargers - I just don’t see the need.

Destination charging makes the much sense, easier, cheaper and can be deployed more quickly at hotels, lodge parks, camp sites, public car parks etc.

The Lake District looks big, but really it is only ~45 miles across. The roads are relatively slow so you are not really going anywhere very quickly. The last thing I’d want to do when visiting Windermere is waste 25 mins waiting for the car to rapid charge…

I’m not saying no to supercharging in the lakes, it would be useful to some but prioritising more sites on the M6/A78M would have a bigger impact.

Reactions: adsheff
I agree charging options are not great but I’m not sure I agree it’s a priority for a significant number of ‘ultra rapid’ chargers - I just don’t see the need.

Destination charging makes the much sense, easier, cheaper and can be deployed more quickly at hotels, lodge parks, camp sites, public car parks etc.

The Lake District looks big, but really it is only ~45 miles across. The roads are relatively slow so you are not really going anywhere very quickly. The last thing I’d want to do when visiting Windermere is waste 25 mins waiting for the car to rapid charge…

I’m not saying no to supercharging in the lakes, it would be useful to some but prioritising more sites on the M6/A78M would have a bigger impact.
I agree to some extent however being typically fleeced £0.75p/kwh whilst charging overnight is a bit of a arse if say a some well placed SuC were dotted around for half the price and a fraction of the time.

Something really needs to be done with regards to destination charging rates imo

Destination charging tends not to be at the hotels I frequent ( usually premier inn) and they won’t be at the majority of hotels for a long time.

Reactions: roadcred and ringi
I agree to some extent however being typically fleeced £0.75p/kwh whilst charging overnight is a bit of a arse if say a some well placed SuC were dotted around for half the price and a fraction of the time.

Something really needs to be done with regards to destination charging rates imo
The problem is we often compare residential EV tariff overnight rates. This is not really a fair comparison. Commercial rates are/were uncapped. And generally did not offer anything like the discount rate at night. Add on costs to cover maintenance of the charger (hopefully they have a maintenance contract for it) and a bit of profit and 75p (you only need one of £ and p) is probably not far off

The problem is we often compare residential EV tariff overnight rates. This is not really a fair comparison. Commercial rates are/were uncapped. And generally did not offer anything like the discount rate at night. Add on costs to cover maintenance of the charger (hopefully they have a maintenance contract for it) and a bit of profit and 75p (you only need one of £ and p) is probably not far off
I expect you're correct, a lot of people do compare those rates, I don't.

£0.75p/kwh imo is way too high:

FYI my comparison was against the standard domestic day rates that have been common recently £0.34 & £0.46p/kwh (now cheaper given the Oct cap) - anywhere around here and just above I'd say would be acceptable, however to bring this back round to SuC topic, a couple more (alongside the decided Windemere site) would be useful and a cost effective solution for charging on the move

Reactions: roadcred
Trentham expansion now live in the app, but not yet showing in the charge your non-Tesla section

View attachment 977532
Showing in the App now, including the V3s
IMG_0838.png

they won’t be at the majority of hotels for a long time

I disagree, but they may need a shove. Supermarkets are doing it ...

We have 10 EV chargers at work (car park has space for about 30 cars). We have a fairly standard 3 Phase supply (its an office location, not an industrial unit). The chargers we have are easily able to record kWh - i.e. suitable to bill to the user. I would have thought that would appeal to hotels, supermarkets and anywhere else with a large car park and an audience that stays a while such that low power chargers are sufficient.

We got 50% of the installation cost back from whatever government money was available at the time

Where would they even put superchargers in Bath? not exactly a car friendly city. If you just end up with more superchargers at a nearby M4 junction its not needed - that must be one of the most well covered stretches in the country (london through to Bristol at least)

Maybe south of Bath - when I was heading up there from Cornwall there weren’t many options if you weren’t doing M5/M4

Moto Chieveley (M4 j13) is having a lot of gridserves installed. (Only saw as I drove past as they are visible if heading south on the a34), any one got any ideas if Tesla SCs are due there as well?
My partner works at Chieveley and thinks no room for or plans for Tesla charging going in. Just the Gridserve ones going in now.

Given going West you've got, Membury West and Reading West (either side of Chieveley), and for East, Membury East, and a couple of fairly convenient sites in Reading town, I'd not hold my breath for Chieveley, despite convenience for A34 (and access to/from M4 each way).

Reactions: cezdoc
Also passed by the Fraddon site today. No more progress. Still wrapped up cabinets and posts in waiting to be switched on, nothing else going on, sadly. Would be nice for this to take over from Lifton temporarily but it's not looking likely so we're maybe a bit short in the far south west.
I was there on Saturday (14th), all the stalls have “coming soon” covers on.