Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Repost from TOUK:

66 Superchargers for Wetherby services (A1M J46)!

A screening application has been put in to expand Wetherby services for 210 HGV parking bays in a new field and to repurpose the existing HGV parking to EV charging. This will add 118 chargers plus 12 accessible chargers in the main car park and 54 HGV chargers, totalling 184, with the ability to add 22 more in the future, on top of the existing 15. Grand total 221.

When you zoom in to the configuration of the charging bays you can see that there are 66 bays with oval chargers at the side of the bay which has to be Tesla Superchargers, this is now they have appeared on other planning applications. The Gridserve units are square at the end of the bay.

Keep in mind this is screening only at the moment and using agricultural land to expand, so it may not happen and if it does, it will be at least 2-3 years away.

Open for suggestions for the other 3 votes.
I went for Brittany on the basis I might go there a few times in my lifetime...

I put an hour of my time in suggesting locations last cycle? Will they still be in the system for a future cycle. Spent another 30mins on the new cycle today. I flagged them as needing them to get to my destination rather than the other options. I added three in Cotswolds...

Reactions: Andrew*Debbie
Meanwhile in Woodall services south bound, next to existing Gridserve chargers:

1000010488.jpg

Still 8 V2s there and still nothing north bound

The key point is that having the full 250 kw to each stall just isn’t needed. Cars can only pull 250kw for a fraction of the charge session and in reality 12 fully empty cars turning up at a 12 bay super charger and all plugging in at the same time just doesn’t happen.
Of course, and site-level power sharing is absolutely the right way to go. But it's also easy to imagine that there may be situations where an average of 83kW per stall is less than ideal for a busy motorway site - hence why we may see sites with a lower than 4:1 stall-to-cabinet ratio.

I would rather Tesla hadn’t sold themselves short by selling them at cost plus. No branding etc.
Anyway, I’m not complaining because it could be a nice little earner.
I have been pondering this deal. Can't imagine BP want to nerf the Tesla functionality, so hopefully it will appear in the Tesla Navigation as a generic Supercharger, the car battery will pre-heat on the way there, the seamless Tesla payment system will work (even though at BP prices).

I have been pondering this deal. Can't imagine BP want to nerf the Tesla functionality, so hopefully it will appear in the Tesla Navigation as a generic Supercharger, the car battery will pre-heat on the way there, the seamless Tesla payment system will work (even though at BP prices).
This is not the expectation of the community. BP ecosystem only although it will show as an alternative on SC map as they all do but only in car so very few Teslas will use them.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Could it be that Tesla would charge BP more for those rebranded chargers to appear as Superchargers in the nav, as that would drive significant traffic to them and have potential value?

Cant imagine Tesla would give this away for free - Perhaps BP do not want to pay for this (yet)?

Also the question of maintenance comes up. That would be another service that Tesla could charge for, and we don't know who will be responsible for these BP branded chargers, whether BP will pay Tesla for upkeep or if BP will do this themselves. Another potential revenue stream.

Could it be that Tesla would charge BP more for those rebranded chargers to appear as Superchargers in the nav, as that would drive significant traffic to them and have potential value?

Cant imagine Tesla would give this away for free - Perhaps BP do not want to pay for this (yet)?

Also the question of maintenance comes up. That would be another service that Tesla could charge for, and we don't know who will be responsible for these BP branded chargers, whether BP will pay Tesla for upkeep or if BP will do this themselves. Another potential revenue stream.
how would this work, when SC price is at least 30% less than BP?

Reactions: Buckminster
Interesting concept of others using superchargers and just rebranding them...

The Tesla stalls design do seem to be less suited to servicing the wide variety of charging port layouts and also voltages that the EV market is now producing. (See Audi/Porsche parked perpendicular to bays, others taking two bays, certain MG requiring firmware updates, 400v vs 800v support etc.)
Not sure they’d have been my first choice of OEM supplier.

The Tesla stalls design do seem to be less suited to servicing the wide variety of charging port layouts and also voltages that the EV market is now producing. (See Audi/Porsche parked perpendicular to bays, others taking two bays, certain MG requiring firmware updates, 400v vs 800v support etc.)
Not sure they’d have been my first choice of OEM supplier.
Money Talks. Who knows what they sold them for but there is evidence that they can deploy a set of chargers for a fraction of what others can. There was a famous case in Texas where most people were bidding in the order of $100K per charger and Tesla bid more like $20K. If true, even if they charge a huge markup they might be able to still save BP a fortune.

Reactions: thax1