Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, and as this is as good a place as any to ask, when does the Supercharging voting get updated? I thought it was quarterly, but its still the same now as it was in early December... Or is it just a token gesture having it on the website still, but Tesla put them where and when they want to? :D

So Which is going to be the first site to open in 2024 ?
It's a lottery but known sites that appear to have all groundworks completed are Fraddon, Ipswich, Old Trafford & Sheffield. So I'll put a chip on Fraddon.
Some of the others may also be fully constructed by now.

I guess getting the power supply is the critical step. Thetford has additional uncommissioned stalls that were installed in June 2022, awaiting a source of electrons.

Reactions: Sean. and Dat37863
It's a lottery but known sites that appear to have all groundworks completed are Fraddon, Ipswich, Old Trafford & Sheffield. So I'll put a chip on Fraddon.
Some of the others may also be fully constructed by now.

I guess getting the power supply is the critical step. Thetford has additional uncommissioned stalls that were installed in June 2022, awaiting a source of electrons.
My money is on Ipswich getting energised first. UKPN seem slightly more on it these days, although Thetford is worrying

My money is on Ipswich getting energised first. UKPN seem slightly more on it these days, although Thetford is worrying
In a recent video, Dave said that some of the responsibilities have been taken over by Tesla/Gridserve from the DNO, speeding up parts of the process after a law change.

Tesla/Gridserve add own substation, cable to National Grid Ring Main & then DNO pays for some of the cost. Much faster rollouts likely now.

11:56
they wanted to install any charges here
11:59
it was a requirement they have to have
12:01
their own
12:02
substation now up until recently the
12:05
cost of the substation and the work of
12:07
the substation was done by the dno and
12:10
the dno would charge for that and at a
12:12
site like this they could easily pay
12:15
half a million or a million pound just
12:17
to get permission and to get the power
12:19
here into a substation which they have
12:21
to pay for through a Transformer which
12:24
they have to pay for and into all the
12:26
cabling which they have to pay for
12:29
that gives two problems the first
12:31
problem is it's a lengthy process
12:33
because if the D DN are a bit stretched
12:35
they just haven't got the time to do it
12:37
and the second thing is there's no
12:39
urgency from them that has now been
12:42
transferred to the actual charging
12:45
networks like Tesla like grid serve so
12:48
in the future that bit of it is going to
12:51
be done by them so they will do the
12:53
cabling from the National Grid ring main
12:57
to their own substation
12:59
um and that will be uh make it very much
13:02
quicker very much uh cheaper as well
13:05
they don't rely on the DN the DN are
13:08
going to have to contribute towards it
13:10
because there's no reason why if you
13:12
build a new house and you get a power
13:14
supply there you should pay as a
13:16
domestic customer for the upgrade of the
13:18
substation if it's not up to it so
13:21
there's a change in the UK government
13:23
law and that's going to favor much
13:25
quicker installations much better
13:27
connections uh and faster roll out of uh
13:30
Chargers it's really interesting to see

12:08 if you want DNO>Tesla
-

Reactions: Sean. and cezdoc
In a recent video, Dave said that some of the responsibilities have been taken over by Tesla/Gridserve from the DNO, speeding up parts of the process after a law change.

Tesla/Gridserve add own substation, cable to National Grid Ring Main & then DNO pays for some of the cost. Much faster rollouts likely now.

11:56
they wanted to install any charges here
11:59
it was a requirement they have to have
12:01
their own
12:02
substation now up until recently the
12:05
cost of the substation and the work of
12:07
the substation was done by the dno and
12:10
the dno would charge for that and at a
12:12
site like this they could easily pay
12:15
half a million or a million pound just
12:17
to get permission and to get the power
12:19
here into a substation which they have
12:21
to pay for through a Transformer which
12:24
they have to pay for and into all the
12:26
cabling which they have to pay for
12:29
that gives two problems the first
12:31
problem is it's a lengthy process
12:33
because if the D DN are a bit stretched
12:35
they just haven't got the time to do it
12:37
and the second thing is there's no
12:39
urgency from them that has now been
12:42
transferred to the actual charging
12:45
networks like Tesla like grid serve so
12:48
in the future that bit of it is going to
12:51
be done by them so they will do the
12:53
cabling from the National Grid ring main
12:57
to their own substation
12:59
um and that will be uh make it very much
13:02
quicker very much uh cheaper as well
13:05
they don't rely on the DN the DN are
13:08
going to have to contribute towards it
13:10
because there's no reason why if you
13:12
build a new house and you get a power
13:14
supply there you should pay as a
13:16
domestic customer for the upgrade of the
13:18
substation if it's not up to it so
13:21
there's a change in the UK government
13:23
law and that's going to favor much
13:25
quicker installations much better
13:27
connections uh and faster roll out of uh
13:30
Chargers it's really interesting to see

12:08 if you want DNO>Tesla
-
I believe UKPN still involved at Ipswich (at least on the HV side). That’s what the team told me when I spoke with them there before Xmas. They were scheduled in the following week. Who knows.

I believe UKPN still involved at Ipswich (at least on the HV side). That’s what the team told me when I spoke with them there before Xmas. They were scheduled in the following week. Who knows.

I guess it will be a mix. The other site needed a brand new substation plus timing of each installation will have an effect. By the way, Tesla are adding a substation for both themselves and Gridserve, so nice to see cooperation.

Reactions: cezdoc
I guess it will be a mix. The other site needed a brand new substation plus timing of each installation will have an effect. By the way, Tesla are adding a substation for both themselves and Gridserve, so nice to see cooperation.
Do you know the background to the big grid connection installed at Exeter?

Here’s a link to the WPN / National Grid “Take Charge” project. An interesting and novel approach to getting faster and cheaper grid connections at MSAs…using a “packaged” transformer approach. Read the Closeout Report in the documents

Do you know the background to the big grid connection installed at Exeter?

Here’s a link to the WPN / National Grid “Take Charge” project. An interesting and novel approach to getting faster and cheaper grid connections at MSAs…using a “packaged” transformer approach. Read the Closeout Report in the documents

Interesting, successful, but ended in Jan? Mention of it on a recent webpage, but I'm still wondering if it's going to be widely rolled out.

Also interesting among those documents is this one:
containing a ranking of various service areas in terms of the ease of installing one of these large connections. Don't expect much charging expansion at Severn View services in the near future! (it was the lowest ranked in the study).

Last edited:
Interesting, successful, but ended in Jan? Mention of it on a recent webpage, but I'm still wondering if it's going to be widely rolled out.

Yeah "Take Charge" was a proof of concept, to see if as a DNO, Western Power (now under the umbrella of National Grid) could find a "better" - cheaper, faster, more efficient way of connecting the problem children that are MSA sites. As a project it concluded with the completion of the Exeter MSA grid upgrade for the EV chargers there.

However its legacy should live on - as what they developed - the packaged "transformer" substation solution and methodology should be transferable to all other DNO's around the country that face a similar predicament as EV numbers continue to grow.

Still waiting for birch services on the M62 to get connected , supposed to be all finished and waiting for the DNO to the last bit.
If my experience of Greater Manchester’s DNO is anything to go by, Birch & White City could be going for Fleet’s record.

I was at the Radstone Hotel just of the M74 near Larkhall in November and it looked at an advanced stage then. It’s due Q1 in 2024 so could sneak in unnoticed as the first of 2024. It’s sometimes referred to as Hamilton.

Hopwood Park Piccies from earlier this eve.

Phase 1 - original six stalls taped up ("reduced service in app/car")
Phase 2 - ten stalls - just me charging
Phase 3 - twenty stalls - one of the bases
Phase 3 - still (unsurprisingly) twenty stalls - the 15 bases so far installed

Also, I spoke to two drivers at the EH chargers by the entrance. The first was just leaving and hadn't heard about the Applegreen ones and said he would take a look on the way out, the second was just arriving and also hadn't heard of the Applegreen ones and was glad that I had told him (much faster and (I think) marginally cheaper) - so he moved there instead.

Also (2), the 16 Applegreens at Woodall South are definitely live and some were in use this afternoon (there's 4 on the Northbound side)

Also (3), the Meadowhall Retail Park SCs are cloaked up with "coming soon" prom outfits on which is disappointingly slow progress since my July visit. Is this a supply issue?

YD

Attachments

• Hopwood 20240106 Phase 1 - 6 stalls taped up.jpg
    Hopwood 20240106 Phase 1 - 6 stalls taped up.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Hopwood 20240106 Phase 2 - 10 stalls just me charging.jpg
    Hopwood 20240106 Phase 2 - 10 stalls just me charging.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Hopwood 20240106 Phase 3 - 20 stalls  - sample base.jpg
    Hopwood 20240106 Phase 3 - 20 stalls - sample base.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 15
  • Hopwood 20240106 Phase 3 - 20 stalls  - 15 bases so far.jpg
    Hopwood 20240106 Phase 3 - 20 stalls - 15 bases so far.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 22
Stopped by South Mimms last night for a charge. The new dispenser bases are in, I counted 17 V3's it looked like. They can't come soon enough.
Great news. I’ve been using South Mimms for 4 years and the change in demand I’ve seen over that time is ridiculous. I used to be able to charge on a Sunday morning with maybe 2 others. Now it’s completely full with a queue of up to 4 or 5 cars waiting. I w even seen Tesla employees “managing” the queue. Plenty of space at South Mimms for many more super chargers. About time 👏👏👏

Great news. I’ve been using South Mimms for 4 years and the change in demand I’ve seen over that time is ridiculous. I used to be able to charge on a Sunday morning with maybe 2 others. Now it’s completely full with a queue of up to 4 or 5 cars waiting. I w even seen Tesla employees “managing” the queue. Plenty of space at South Mimms for many more super chargers. About time 👏👏👏

There was 4 of us there charging at 3am yesterday morning!!