Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK - are you rotating tyres? + “servicing”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Low' isn't no use and yes, if I was suffering from squealing brakes then I'd give them the attention they needed, but fortunately not an issue on my 'S'.

Squealing brakes - another 'within tolerance'... I did however find evidence of an issue not within tolerance and they said they removed, cleaned, reassembled everything. Again, still squeal, but at least on hold mode we don't wake up the neighbours reversing off the drive in the morning.

Amazing how many issues are 'within tolerance' or other subtle faults being found - I think a proper first service is really important especially due to lack of PDI. We have had bolts missing and a brake assembly issue, neither of which would have been noticed without the car going back up on a ramp after pushing that the issue is not 'within tolerance'. I am sure there are more too that have gone unnoticed - those ones were obvious if you knew what to look for.

This falls into the same category as the US fixation with 6 monthly oil changes, it has been promoted by the car dealers over there to get the vehicles back in twice a year and provide an opportunity to up-sell other services at the same time.

That would make sense if the dealers were the only locations and the recommendation was 6 months. But these days the oil change interval is much longer and their are a boatload of 3rd party oil change locations

That would make sense if the dealers were the only locations and the recommendation was 6 months. But these days the oil change interval is much longer and their are a boatload of 3rd party oil change locations

Our Mini in Texas is on dealer recommended 6 month oil change intervals even though Mini say 12,000 and the GMC Yukon with its 'oil life sensor' has 7.500 mile service intervals where it is recommended to change the oil regardless of what the oil life sensor says...

It doesn't feel like it is changing quickly... :)

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
Our Mini in Texas is on dealer recommended 6 month oil change intervals even though Mini say 12,000 and the GMC Yukon with its 'oil life sensor' has 7.500 mile service intervals where it is recommended to change the oil regardless of what the oil life sensor says...

wow .. is it lower grade oil? .. we haven't had this kind of short oil change period for most cars in the UK since the 1980s as far as I can remember. Mind you I always felt good about having some lovely new oil on board, and no excuse for the engines not lasting forever!

Listening to a dealer is a big part of your problem. They don't make the cars.

Over 12k miles now and have seen people mentioning tyre rotations around the 10k mark. Is this just a US thing or worth doing? Was going to hold off to around 15k as mainly do motorway driving.

anything else to keep on top of service wise, now I’m over 10k? (M3 LR)
Manual states rotate at 6250miles.do it to balance wear on tyers.

No difference at all in the manuals for the 3/S/X in this regard, but when I tried to book the 'Clean & lubricate' service for my S last year Tesla wrote to me and confirmed that it was not a requirement for the UK.

Hard to argue with a specific written statement from a UK Tesla service department...

As with anything Tesla related, I have no doubt that different answers can be obtained to the same question, but there was no lack of clarity on their stance at the time, they cancelled the service appointment as 'not required' and wrote to confirm...
If it goes tits up you can use thst statement in small claims court. If a vhecle isn't at least cheked you can't spot things like craks thst are developing

Lower brake use gives more opportunity for them to seize due to lack of use. Tesla are already blaming brake squeal on lack of use, and told me to use low regen for a period. In addition, the locating pins on the calipers are prone to rusting, so you may struggle getting them out when you most need to.

My own car failed its first MOT/10k miles with brakes - dealer 'service' had never touched them and it caused problems. I've gone back to my regular mechanic and wheels removed, brakes services as a matter of routine. Even though I had supposedly had car serviced 3 times, I went back to my regular and asked him to restart the service regime as if it had never been serviced before.

Servicing is about preventing issues in the first place.
Had your car only done 10k miles in 3 years? - that’s the more likely on for the ‘fail’

A couple of sections from 5:10 onwards. But worth a whole watch if 18 minutes to spare.

Garage which relies on servicing to earn its money in “get your car serviced” shocker...

What he is explaining in regards to a Tesla is no different to any other car. The brake pads emit dust during use and, while most of it is driven out , some of it will build up around the caliper. As I said, servicing brakes every year is pointless - if Tesla truly believed they required yearly servicing they’d adapt to a service model which made it a requirement. After all, it’s an income stream for them.

I liked the bit on the door oiling. Coming fro
A couple of sections from 5:10 onwards. But worth a whole watch if 18 minutes to spare.

M motorbikes I'm very used to oiling verioius items. Did not think I'd ever be thinking to go near my tesla with a can though!

Looks like checking the breaks myself is an easy thing too and only one jack required too usually. Looks like a lazy spring job though

Garage which relies on servicing to earn its money in “get your car serviced” shocker...

What he is explaining in regards to a Tesla is no different to any other car. The brake pads emit dust during use and, while most of it is driven out , some of it will build up around the caliper. As I said, servicing brakes every year is pointless - if Tesla truly believed they required yearly servicing they’d adapt to a service model which made it a requirement. After all, it’s an income stream for them.
Still worth cleaning them out after salty winters here in the UK. My site dosnt even use salt it uses a urea based crap I definitely want to get out.