Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK Discussion] This is what a self driving car looks like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this a bit contrived though? I don't think there's any driver out there who's going to watch an emergency situation unfold and not intervene because they think the car will do it. Most the time you're going to find that the car and the driver stamp on the brakes together. The advantage the car has with any scenario more complicated than emergency braking is it has constant 360 degree awareness and so effectively always has an evasive steering plan in its back pocket.
City streets driving has a shorter window than other forms of driving to react, it's partly why we have lower speed limits. Have you never been using Autopilot and when approaching stationary traffic ahead, or a roundabout wondered if the car is going to stop and then take over because you fear it isn't? In a city streets situation there is a reduce window for this, the driver often needs to respond straight away which requires feet on the pedals, hands on the wheel, and any delay can result in the car travelling a few meters further with no time to recover that delay. The car could operate in shadow mode and step in, like it does when it thinks there is an parked car ahead, but this is in support rather than as the lead. The second issue is the assumption that drivers will apply the same level of concentration when using city streets as not, with many reporting a decrease in fatigue when using autopilot, there must be a degree of reduced cognitive processing for that to occur, if not, why bother?

Spotting A red traffic light is easy, being 100% certain that it applies to your lane of traffic requires a hugely greater semantic understanding of the road system. Get it wrong and you've just done an unnecessary emergency stop in flowing traffic and inevitably been rear-ended by the human behind you who is either not paying attention or driving based on assumptions about what you're going to do rather than what you're actually doing.
I didn't say these things were easy, just that many of these edge cases, if solved for FSD/City Streets could be equally applied as passive safety systems

Our general thoughts are therefore that drivers are likely to have a reduced ability for timely intervention on city streets when using such a system, it's hard to see how it would be better, and it's whether the merits of such a system have a corresponding increase in performance to offset. However, you could have the best of both worlds where the system still surveys the surroundings and applies all the same thought processes as if it was driving, and provide additional alerts and safety intervention. The notion that this would result in false alarms and unwarranted intervention is a somewhat spurious one as the same false alarms and unwanted interventions would occur if the car was driving. They will no doubt happen, but they will happen in both cases. Maybe I have colleagues who have dealt with the implications of accidents in residential areas resulting in an overly cautious opinion, or maybe they're better positioned to judge than others.

City streets driving has a shorter window than other forms of driving to react, it's partly why we have lower speed limits. Have you never been using Autopilot and when approaching stationary traffic ahead, or a roundabout wondered if the car is going to stop and then take over because you fear it isn't? In a city streets situation there is a reduce window for this, the driver often needs to respond straight away which requires feet on the pedals, hands on the wheel, and any delay can result in the car travelling a few meters further with no time to recover that delay. The car could operate in shadow mode and step in, like it does when it thinks there is an parked car ahead, but this is in support rather than as the lead. The second issue is the assumption that drivers will apply the same level of concentration when using city streets as not, with many reporting a decrease in fatigue when using autopilot, there must be a degree of reduced cognitive processing for that to occur, if not, why bother?

I didn't say these things were easy, just that many of these edge cases, if solved for FSD/City Streets could be equally applied as passive safety systems

Our general thoughts are therefore that drivers are likely to have a reduced ability for timely intervention on city streets when using such a system, it's hard to see how it would be better, and it's whether the merits of such a system have a corresponding increase in performance to offset. However, you could have the best of both worlds where the system still surveys the surroundings and applies all the same thought processes as if it was driving, and provide additional alerts and safety intervention. The notion that this would result in false alarms and unwarranted intervention is a somewhat spurious one as the same false alarms and unwanted interventions would occur if the car was driving. They will no doubt happen, but they will happen in both cases. Maybe I have colleagues who have dealt with the implications of accidents in residential areas resulting in an overly cautious opinion, or maybe they're better positioned to judge than others.
Keen as I am to have the option of city streets, in my travels, I would be very wary of using it in The Cotswolds, the Yorkshire Dales and Cornwall.
I’m sure there are any number of other places to boot. Having paid for the privilege, I’d welcome the opportunity to be able to turn it off!

all in all, please comment about your thousands on miles once you done them in winter in UK and not in Pensylvania which is at 42nd lattitude, which is an equivalent of Spain.

I've never been to the UK, but most of my Autopilot miles were outside of PA. I've been coast to coast twice and up and down the east coast several times.

Well I'm sorry for anyone here who has had bad experiences with Tesla Autopilot, but lucky for me I've had nothing but good with it, save for the very rare phantom braking event.

I've never been to the UK, but most of my Autopilot miles were outside of PA. I've been coast to coast twice and up and down the east coast several times.

Well I'm sorry for anyone here who has had bad experiences with Tesla Autopilot, but lucky for me I've had nothing but good with it, save for the very rare phantom braking event.
so, yeah - no know nothing about our conditions. and yet coming here to add your 0.02$

so, yeah - no know nothing about our conditions. and yet coming here to add your 0.02$

I apologize, I though this was a forum for discussion and I wanted to offer a differing point of view. Seems to me like the UK software simply isn't up to date with the US software, because the hardware is obviously the same.

I'll keep my $0.02 to myself now so you can have the thread the way you want it. Good luck.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I apologize, I though this was a forum for discussion and I wanted to offer a differing point of view. Seems to me like the UK software simply isn't up to date with the US software, because the hardware is obviously the same.

I'll keep my $0.02 to myself now so you can have the thread the way you want it. Good luck.
all is good.

but this is the tread where we are trying to point out that AP sux there, but we are getting answers "all is good" and "FSD is even better"..

Just came across this video and compared to the FSD videos I've seen, this looks way more impressive.

all is good.

but this is the tread where we are trying to point out that AP sux there, but we are getting answers "all is good" and "FSD is even better"..
Here are my 2 cents worth... The initial post of this thread is here quoted and it relates to a system we do not use here and the specific video is made in the USA... people saying this is a UK thread here does not wash and we know that Teslas FSD here is a very washed out version of what exists in the USA. So, according to the initial post this is a thread better related to our American friends and most here are actually off topic.

And now my two pence worth. Storm in a cup of tea but at least some have remained well composed and constructive with their arguments 👏👏👏

Here are my 2 cents worth... The initial post of this thread is here quoted and it relates to a system we do not use here and the specific video is made in the USA... people saying this is a UK thread here does not wash and we know that Teslas FSD here is a very washed out version of what exists in the USA. So, according to the initial post this is a thread better related to our American friends and most here are actually off topic.

And now my two pence worth. Storm in a cup of tea but at least some have remained well composed and constructive with their arguments 👏👏👏

If memory serves me correctly, this thread was not started by the OP, it was started by a moderator who pulled the OP's post out of the main financial thread and all the subsequent replies, and tossed it in here as a new thread. Not sure why it was decided to be put in the UK section, aside from the poster's location, when the content was about a US-based limited L4 system (Waymo).

That explains why even early on there were a TON of US-responses to this subject (the investment thread is predominately US posters). It has continued along that trend since then.

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977
Mod comment: what often happens is “similar threads” at the end of every page has topics which people see and reply to without realising they’ve drifted into a regional area, they’re also sometimes very old. To combat that, anything that has a definite regional flavour tends to get prefixed to try and make it clear .

As an aside, as a uk mod I can’t pull posts from outside Europe into the uk area, I can only push Europe posts elsewhere..

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Huh, neither do I, and honestly I didn't realize this was even IN the UK forum until just now.

Somehow I got subscribed to this on my watch list, not sure how though... 🤔
It doesn't really matter. Personally do enjoy visitors that are able to contribute in such an eloquent and polite manner. A breath of fresh air around here as of late imho and glad that at least one "local" (not me) has stood up and flew your flag for the right reasons, again eloquently well.... The F word had no reason to be in this thread regardless of how it was spelled. Its embarrassing ...My apologies 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.