Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ebike discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bouba

Sep 23, 2021
France
The UK Government keeps talking the talk about being a leader in technology and green industries....so hopefully they will be ambitious when it comes to self driving cars.
Of course all this is in a country that is frightened of E-scooters

Rightfully too if you see the stats on head injuries. Major trauma among E-Scooter and bicycle users: a nationwide cohort study | Injury Prevention

Yes, many were drunk and underage. If only we had FSD scooters.
I'm not really sure what to make of that study, of people injured on a scooter more had head injuries is really all it says.

All I really think it shows is there are perhaps a wider range of types of injury from people on bikes compared to scooters. It would seem entirely likely that this is because there are fewer mechanisms that would result in injuries that end up in hospital from a scooter than a bike.

It doesn't attempt to answer how many injuries per mile travelled.

23 regions have had rental schemes for e-scooters a bit like we did "Boris bikes" many years ago. Seems progresive to me to try these things in a controlled fashion, collect the data, and then decide evolving the rules as you go. Thats not being freightened of anything, that taking a responsble pathway. The latest changes are to get verified details from users as underage, inexperienced road users etc are all a potential issue, not to mention use in crime and other antisocial activity.

Bouba - I don't think a Tesla would be released to service under full FSD autonomy if the stats started mounting like they do with escooters.
In the UK alone - 39 people have died since 2019 involving escooters.

Tony H - why is our attitude to scooters weird? Private land is where you can almost do as you wish (gocarts / crossbows / air rifles / drive a car withoput a liocence etc etc).
Scooters are a fecking menace driven by kids mainly who have little or no understanding of the consequences of what they do.
Paris mayor just banned the lot in her city - thank god for common sense.

We;re next in May 2024 hopefully.

Reactions: Buckminster
The UK Government keeps talking the talk about being a leader in technology and green industries....so hopefully they will be ambitious when it comes to self driving cars.
Of course all this is in a country that is frightened of E-scooters

I wish Norway was more scared of E scooters!! ****ing menace!! Ok not the scooters per se, just the idiot kids who ride them darting about as if there's nobody else on the pavements or the roads. Not surprised they get banned all over the place.

Bouba - I don't think a Tesla would be released to service under full FSD autonomy if the stats started mounting like they do with escooters.

Tony H - why is our attitude to scooters weird? Private land is where you can almost do as you wish (gocarts / crossbows / air rifles / drive a car withoput a liocence etc etc).
Scooters are a fecking menace driven by kids mainly who have little or no understanding of the consequences of what they do.

Sorry, again, these numbers don't mean anything.

Over 140 people die on bikes in the UK per year, but on it's own there is no relevance in the numbers. Only fatalities per mile travelled has any relevance and is comparable to other forms of travel. Almost certainly passenger cars are the most dangerous thing on our roads.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Lives do matter. In the case of bikes and scooters if it’s not the bike or the scooters fault, it must be the car. This is where FSD probably has an ace. If it gets the whiff of a bike even near the edge of the curb it will slam on the brakes. Voila, accident avoided! I’m not sure if it recognises scooters? Eek.

Yes, I am in jest, not talking about FSDb and using a 4yrs old branch in conditions it wasn’t designed for.

It's actually the complete opposite there. Paris banned ride-sharing e-scooter, by gaming a referendum where the turnout was around 2%, mostly old pensioners, due to the chaotic way they were abandoned on pavements.
But privately owned are and remain completely legal.

The Transport bill announced during the Queen Speech back in May 2022 was supposed to make this happen. 18 months later we are nowhere near. That's why I wouldn't hold my breath for the UK passing law for L3 autonomy before UNECE rules 2024...

Scary that there are people on here now who actually believe in FSD and can't get their heads round the fundamental issue - "we're not there yet". AI is years behind where it needs to be for FSD and equivalent to work FLAWLESSLY".
One born every minute - I guess.

As for Escooters - in the UK they are banned on public roads AND pavements with a £100 fine AND 6 points on your licence (if you have one!).
We've had (are having) endless trials here and in the EU which shows the system is being abused to the extent that the government has to step in to prevent so many needless injuries.
So license holders are punished differently ?....sounds like a case for a human rights court

• Funny
Reactions: Leytonstone