Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use smart plugs. I set Routines using Amazon Alexa and appliances function automatically when I have programmed them to. Ditto with the lighting. If I’m away I can check status or turn them on or off using my smart phone should I want to. Alternatively, when at home, I can tell my live in house maid, Alexa, to turn them on or off too. “Smart” is the best home improvement ever, especially for power saving and not very expensive. It’s brilliant!

Last edited:
Use smart plugs. I set Routines using Amazon Alexa and appliances function automatically when I have programmed them to. Ditto with the lighting. If I’m away I can check status or turn them on or off using my smart phone should I want to. Alternatively, when at home, I can tell my live in house maid, Alexa, to turn them on or off too. “Smart” is the best home improvement ever, especially for power saving and not very expensive. It’s brilliant!
I'm hoping a cheapo mains plug timer will work (I already have one in a drawer!). I just need to test whether or not the dishwasher can remember its settings without power for part of the day.

Reactions: Keeper
I'm hoping a cheapo mains plug timer will work (I already have one in a drawer!). I just need to test whether or not the dishwasher can remember its settings without power for part of the day.

You might have to start the program then kill the power. When the timer comes back on the program should resume. Least that’s what my dishwasher does if there’s a power cut.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
if you want cheep and smart try sonoff. there is an app and google home / alexa compatible. about £10 on ebay or £6 for one you wire inline. I have a few and they seem reliable and very low background power use as well (0.6w)

Reactions: pow216 and vitesse
Looks like SSE launched a new EV tariff today, haven't crunched the numbers yet, seems you have to actually do a quote in order to actually see standing charge and p per KWH New SSE energy tariff offers EV owners thousands of free miles a year
Interesting...

works out about £20 per month more than I pay now, using pre EV charging consumption figures. I’ll have to have a more detailed look to see what impact the free 2000kWh of off peak electricity will have.

My assumption is that there is spare capacity on Off Peak, so a device on a timer will be using that. At Peak more devices needing power may force Peaker Plants to be started to meet demand (the "Adverts dual a TV Soap" power-surge conundrum)

That should also hold true of future Time-of-Use tariffs too - if e.g. Wind is in excess and being curtailed then price will fall. Might be a bit hard to run Dishwasher though if the TOU metering is in 30 minute segments ...
I'd be thinking adverts are a dieing thing with people switching to Netflix codi hulu and others? Iv not watched evening TV in years

I think the time has come to move from Bulb to Octopus - I am on the Smart Tariff, so my meter will support it so...

- Has anyone switched from Bulb to Octopus, and how long did it take the smart meter to 'work' again?
- Has someone got a referral code they can DM me (who's turn is it!)