Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The automated driving bill is just an implementation of UNECE DCAS rules anyway.
IIRC the original proposals from the Law Society were that this would be dual legislation.

Cars have to be UNECE qualifying to be sold in UNECE territories, however, they can additionally meet UK legislation separately. As such if there is divergence on autonomy rules, then cars could offer UK compliance in this area if applicable.

Whether it amounts to anything we will see, but in theory you could get UK saying for example that they would allow USA FSDBeta style autonomy, and UK cars could provide that if they wanted to in the UK market.

In practice whether UK diverges or not from UNECE standard we will see.

Reactions: Pink Duck
I look forward to Tesla FSD coming to the UK and having to deal with all those Tesla's driving down the motorway the wrong way with their LHD training 😉

Joking aside I don't think they'll be able to reuse any US trained models with LHD so will have to start from scratch with RHD. They've had years of FSD I'm the US to improve it, I suspect early UK ones are going to be like it was I'm the US earlier on but maybe will improve quicker to get closer to partity.

I look forward to Tesla FSD coming to the UK and having to deal with all those Tesla's driving down the motorway the wrong way with their LHD training 😉

Joking aside I don't think they'll be able to reuse any US trained models with LHD so will have to start from scratch with RHD. They've had years of FSD I'm the US to improve it, I suspect early UK ones are going to be like it was I'm the US earlier on but maybe will improve quicker to get closer to partity.
Our motorways are also different from freeways, no undertaking here, and as they’ve done away with hard coding any rules, they can’t just tell it not to undertake as that’s a rule and not learnt behaviour, so they presumably have to be trained in each local market to accommodate such differences.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Our motorways are also different from freeways, no undertaking here, and as they’ve done away with hard coding any rules, they can’t just tell it not to undertake as that’s a rule and not learnt behaviour, so they presumably have to be trained in each local market to accommodate such differences.
Undertaking in terms of changing a lane to do so is not allowed but if the left lane is flowing faster than the next and you were already travelling in it then it is not an offence to pass

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Undertaking in terms of changing a lane to do so is not allowed but if the left lane is flowing faster than the next and you were already travelling in it then it is not an offence to pass
Sure, but you understand the point, our lane discipline is different to the US so what’s acceptable/common place there isn’t necessarily here.

IIRC the original proposals from the Law Society were that this would be dual legislation.

Cars have to be UNECE qualifying to be sold in UNECE territories, however, they can additionally meet UK legislation separately. As such if there is divergence on autonomy rules, then cars could offer UK compliance in this area if applicable.

Whether it amounts to anything we will see, but in theory you could get UK saying for example that they would allow USA FSDBeta style autonomy, and UK cars could provide that if they wanted to in the UK market.

In practice whether UK diverges or not from UNECE standard we will see.
Tesla would seem very unlikely to develop a UK specific variant of FSD to me, we'll be lucky if they deign to make an EU version. Diverging from EU standards is pointless.

On the subject, it's about time we considered switching to driving on the left, give the anti-Ulez folks something different to try and resist.

• Funny
Reactions: Pink Duck
Tesla would seem very unlikely to develop a UK specific variant of FSD to me, we'll be lucky if they deign to make an EU version. Diverging from EU standards is pointless.

On the subject, it's about time we considered switching to driving on the left, give the anti-Ulez folks something different to try and resist.
I think that once all the cars on the roads are completely autonomous then that will be the best time to switch to the correct side of the road...although Brits abroad manage to drive on the right side...I suspect that at home it will be carnage

Switching to the other side isn’t just a question of which side you drive, road layouts, do one way roads change direction, road signage, car park entrances and exits and the location of ticket machines and exit barriers etc etc are all geared to the way we drive. I simply can’t see it happening, self driving or not

Reactions: Pandinium
There also is the possibility that the EU (and all its individual countries) will start fining Tesla billions (like it does to all American tech companies) because Tesla only allows its own version of driving software on their cars...limiting competition from European software companies

Reactions: goRt
Joking aside I don't think they'll be able to reuse any US trained models with LHD so will have to start from scratch with RHD.
Switching to the other side isn’t just a question of which side you drive, road layouts, do one way roads change direction, road signage, car park entrances and exits and the location of ticket machines and exit barriers etc etc are all geared to the way we drive.

Could they not simply inverse the video feed input and reverse the steering wheel and indicator outputs, either in training, or "on the fly" in the car when its in UK?

Diverging from EU standards is pointless.
It depends. If the UNECE rules inhibit the system to a great extent and restrict innovation then its not impossible. Moving to a set of rules based on US experience and miles of data, rather than strict UNECE compliance is not impossible.

here also is the possibility that the EU (and all its individual countries) will start fining Tesla billions (like it does to all American tech companies) because Tesla only allows its own version of driving software on their cars...limiting competition from European software companies
I think we're a long long way from that.

It's probably even more than that as people from UK can drive over to Central Europe and they also can in reverse to UK. So either our cars would need to be trained to handle both or you'd have to disable the functionality should you take your car from one region to another.

Sure, but you understand the point, our lane discipline is different to the US so what’s acceptable/common place there isn’t necessarily here.
I'm sure once they've trained it on data based on UK drivers it'll just sit in the middle lane all the time ;)

Could they not simply inverse the video feed input and reverse the steering wheel and indicator outputs, either in training, or "on the fly" in the car when its in UK?
I like your idea but I highly doubt that would work in reality. They might already have a lot of footage from UK drivers or maybe they don't but should train on that data. Even if they have the data, the issue might simply be having the compute available to crunch through it. With the advent of GenAI, there's a massive shortage of compute to run it all. Just look at OpenAI wanting a small $7 trillion funding round so they can grow the semiconductor business enough to start pumping out enough chips for all the T800's they are building ;)

Last edited:
It's probably even more than that as people from UK can drive over to Central Europe and they also can in reverse to UK. So either our cars would need to be trained to handle both or you'd have to disable the functionality should you take your car from one region to another.

I'm sure once they've trained it on data based on UK drivers it'll just sit in the middle lane all the time ;)
Ordinary FSD on my French car works on French and English motorways....we shall see what Beta can do...but if it can self drive through a French medieval village and also through a pothole strewn English street with cars parked both sides and roadworks...I will be mightily impressed

Ordinary FSD on my French car works on French and English motorways....we shall see what Beta can do...but if it can self drive through a French medieval village and also through a pothole strewn English street with cars parked both sides and roadworks...I will be mightily impressed
Entire EU means being able to read Greek road signs…
1709912202964.jpeg