Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect all this means is the underlying code of FSD is going to shift to the newer version but functionally we get the same thing. If phantom braking etc all reduce then great.

Has anyone else wondered if the renaming to “FSD (supervised)” is actually a product rename to reflect its foreseeable end state rather than just a substitution for “beta”? The road to unsupervised is so long, just look at Waymo etc, so even if the car was capable it won’t happen for years, so Tesla are in effect calling it.
I think this is Elon taking it out of beta as the Beta words have gone. He did say he thought it was good enough to drop beta. I mean this isn’t saying it’s perfect, just good enough to not be beta and as it’s supervised that covers that it might make mistakes.

I do hope they bring it out here in the next few years. Would love to ride in a car with it even if I likely won’t buy it (At current prices).

Only yesterday in heavy rain, coming back from the airport; every 5 minutes or so - various messages came up saying anything from: pillar cameras obscured, or lane deviation error, or camera obstructions.....and FSD relies 100% on cameras - no?
In fact almost every other day in any precipitation - my pillar cameras steam up and an error message is promulgated on screen.
I hope you were looking at the screen when you got each of those warning messages because if you were I’m going to have to take away your autopilot features for a full week for being observant, I mean naughty.

Reactions: zoros
I’d like to ask the EU regulators what the **** they were thinking about when declaring that for DCAS update in November that *every* *single* *manoeuvre* needs to be manually confirmed. Whether the UK can diverge from that nonsense within a few years is one thing, whether Brussels wake up to the reality of what is coming is another. It’s hard when the US has triple the accident rate, even with FSD reducing that to equivalent to UK/European rate, it won’t be enough to convince regulators of the safety benefit.

I’d like to ask the EU regulators what the **** they were thinking about when declaring that for DCAS update in November that *every* *single* *manoeuvre* needs to be manually confirmed. Whether the UK can diverge from that nonsense within a few years is one thing, whether Brussels wake up to the reality of what is coming is another. It’s hard when the US has triple the accident rate, even with FSD reducing that to equivalent to UK/European rate, it won’t be enough to convince regulators of the safety benefit.
Which muppet ever thought that if the lane change is not completed within x seconds the car must return to its original lane.

Autopilot swerving back into another lane when it’s half way across the line at 70mph is not only frightening it’s bloody dangerous.

If the car has started the manoeuvre it should finish it.

No doubt USA only. Fcuk the rest of the world..

Why do you care? That Rohan Patel guy from Tesla has already let it be known FSD won’t be coming to Europe for a very long time.

just good enough to not be beta
The beta level is completely meaningless when it comes to Tesla. Supervised is the new beta.

I’d like to ask the EU regulators what the **** they were thinking about when declaring that for DCAS update in November that *every* *single* *manoeuvre* needs to be manually confirmed.
You’ll be waiting for a while because it’s not the EU who decided this, it’s the United Nations.

Autopilot swerving back into another lane when it’s half way across the line at 70mph is not only frightening it’s bloody dangerous.
Funny how it’s only Tesla that has this problem, it’s almost as if Tesla have implemented lane changes really poorly as opposed to the regulations being an issue.

Which muppet ever thought that if the lane change is not completed within x seconds the car must return to its original lane.

The counter argument is every other manufacturer who has this functionality seem to manage it successfully. Maybe ask the developers why they take so long and don't know they're going to time out mid manouver before commencing the lane change? Its not difficult really is it, lets say a lane change once started takes 1.5 seconds, I can't really see a reason why it would vary much, so simple logic in the code such as "are we within 1.5s seconds of the abort threshold?".. if so.. don't start the lane change.

The regulation as I understand it is so that people don;t just stick their indicator on and then wait for howeverlong it takes for a gap to appear - thats rubbish driving.

I think this is Teslas problem.. whether you agree with the regulations or not, you have to live with them and make them work as best you can. Others manage to do that, Tesla try to do their own thing and just seem to implement the rules as a back stop. It was similar with the max cornering force.. rather than predict the max force in a corner before you got there and adjust your speed accordingly, they just ploughed in, hit the limit and then aborted which was pretty dangerous. At least they've started to adjust the speed on the approach.

Reactions: goRt

I think one of the changes that they will implement is the new regs give it more time to complete the manoeuvre.

Reactions: Simavon
FSD (Supervised) v12.3.4 has been released to legacy S/X owners in the US!

(meaning that we regulatory-restricted folk of this small island may see some improvements with next update in ~8 weeks)
None of that code base runs in the UK so I don't think so.

Rumour has it someone managed to hack into their Git repos and we run on the "suckers" branch for people that paid for FSD here ;)

FSD (Supervised) v12.3.4 has been released to legacy S/X owners in the US!

(meaning that we regulatory-restricted folk of this small island may see some improvements with next update in ~8 weeks)
Technically correct although it seems they need to be on HW3, MCU2 and have had the camera upgrade so effectively pretty much the same as a newer car. I read someone wondered if they’d simply been overlooked before

Back to the Lords where it originated for them to assess any of House of Commons amendments, if House of Commons okays it on Wednesday with a vote. Months later Royal Assent may be granted. Then after all that, nothing… until the UNECE Auto Regulation actually permits autonomous driving.

Tesla is yet to have a non-L2 approved autonomous drive system in the US of course, but that could change if they get zonal permit for a taxi service.

The Automated Driving Bill is purely a prescriptive cut-down on the adhered to UNECE regulations. Also once that's over, it basically leaves another 6 months for an approval committee to be set up in the UK to act as authoriser for manufacturer self-driving systems. First at earliest by end of 2026.
Safe to assume Tesla won't be a launch day partner for this...

Meanwhile and unrelated, seeing plenty of adverts for Ford BlueCruise 'handsfree' motorway system... If only they could deliver on this first

Hard to tell, Rohan Patel departed shortly after his tweet saying that Tesla took a look at UN regulation and decided it wasn't worth the effort until they got it right. That's the internal realistic view I suspect, hence all bets on demonstrating a measurable success in the US first - land of the free and all.

Some positivity though from one of his recent remarks about non-EU UNECE member countries.

Last edited: