Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK insurance questions - immob/alarm/tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

Trying to sort out my insurance for my collection on Thursday (excited....)

Anyone have any idea wether the alarm/immobiliser is thatcham cat 2 approved? Or what I should be selecting in that box?

And is it considered to have a tracker? I realise this isn't thatcham approved.

Thanks for any help given

Hey All,

Trying to sort out my insurance for my collection on Thursday (excited....)

Anyone have any idea wether the alarm/immobiliser is thatcham cat 2 approved? Or what I should be selecting in that box?

And is it considered to have a tracker? I realise this isn't thatcham approved.

Thanks for any help given
The online applications aren't really suited to insuring a Tesla.

Suggest phoning and explaining the type of tracker it has and some insurers will provide an additional discount if you mention 'Tesla Autopilot'

Who are you planning to go with?

If it's brand new you will have to phone them anyway as their website won't recognise your registration number :)

However: Alarm / immobiliser is Thatcham approved manufacturer fitted :) As for the tracker you'll need to discuss with the insurance company if they consider the tesla as meeting that requirement.

Thanks for the replies.

Churchill - however the Online (money super market) quote is £250 less than it was over the phone for the exact same details.
Just give them the quote reference and you may be able to get a little extra off that too.

I'm not with Churchill but maybe others that are can confirm if there are Tesla specific discounts available?

If it's brand new you will have to phone them anyway as their website won't recognise your registration number :)

However: Alarm / immobiliser is Thatcham approved manufacturer fitted :) As for the tracker you'll need to discuss with the insurance company if they consider the tesla as meeting that requirement.
Don’t like dragging up an old thread, but I was checking this for a new insurance quote and came across this thread. I had “no” on my old quotes from 2019. Checking this list I don’t see Tesla…

Can you confirm where you got the Thatcham approved from-?

Thanks for the replies.

Churchill - however the Online (money super market) quote is £250 less than it was over the phone for the exact same details.
I specifically called Churchill, they told me that they do not require a thatham tracker. Further, the guy who I spoke to who offered trackers, quoted that they offer two types, one of which was suitable for cars above a specific insurance threshold so that's another one to watch out for.

Don't take my comment here as fact though, insurers are basically lower than pond scum so do your own research.

Don’t like dragging up an old thread, but I was checking this for a new insurance quote and came across this thread. I had “no” on my old quotes from 2019. Checking this list I don’t see Tesla…

Can you confirm where you got the Thatcham approved from-?
A more up to date list:

MY uses the same part as the M3 so assume it is approved too.

Security system approved by Thatcham for Model 3, March 2020 onwards. [Cat 1]
Immobiliser system approved by Thatcham for Model 3, March 2020 onwards and Model Y November 2021 onwards. [Cat 2]

For everything else just pick Manufacturer Fitted Alarm/Immobiliser.

Phone call quotes are normally higher due to staffing costs.

Last edited: