Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "slightly lower range" of the P versus the AWD is an artefact of the exact wheels used in WLTP tests (which, since the P in Europe was sold exclusively with the Performance Upgrade Package, used the 20" Stiletto rims with more grippy tyres for the "P" numbers, and 18" rims with aero hubs and Michelin Primacy MXM 4 with less rolling resistance for the AWP).

I doubt they're going to redo WLTP tests for P- with 18" aero wheels, which is why you see the numbers you see. A manufacturer is always entitled to underestimate the range if he wants to ;-).

In recent EPA testing they tested P with 18" aero wheels as well, and the difference in range between P- and AWD with the same wheels is zero, zilch, nada, zip.

So if you want "as much range" as the AWD, just buy a P-. If you want less (but higher performance wheels) then buy a P+, a P with the Performance Upgrade Package.

You can also get 4% less range on motorways by getting rid of the aero hub caps, if the performance upgrade pack is too expensive ;-).

Incidentally, the WLTP numbers were slightly downgraded by Tesla in the marketing literature with respect to the WLTP tests, but one reason is that in Europe the cars tend to come with the slightly more grippy Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (not 4S) summer tyres, which have slightly more rolling resistance but better grip than the Primacy MXM4 all-season tyres.

Incidentally, the current "no 19" wheels" is because Tesla is severely production constrained on them and is trying to satisfy a bucketload of 19" orders in Europe, so the last thing they want is more people to order these, at least temporarily.
Good info. I guess the thing is if already sitting on an 18" LR AWD order then you're going to have to pay £1,590 more for P- than AWD only to get a second quicker acceleration so a more difficult judgement.

Of course this depends on journey-mix. Some people will never drive out of 200 mile range, let alone ned 400 mile range. I think UK [compared to USA or even EU] has more drivers typically doing out-and-back days that exceed range, rather than drive-charge-drive-charge trans continental journeys. So in UK that would be journeys out-of-range visiting a Relation / Client.
I'd also imagine in the UK we have more people living in flats that can't home charge and are reliant on the public charging infrastructure - that was certainly my reason for going for the bigger battery size...

Not sure if this is helpful...

I was one of the first 10 to register when the waiting list went live 3 years ago. I've spoken at length to my Tesla rep (I owned a model 3) and have spoken to the model 3 delivery helpline (hour long wait). They have all told me that they will go through the reservation list systematically. They have also confirmed that you can change your spec as many times as you like - it will not affect your delivery date. It will only affect your delivery date if, after they've allocated your vin (using the last spec you uploaded on the account page) you decide to then change.

The caveat to all this is that the higher up the list you are, the more freedom you have to change as they will have every single spec available at the beginning. They then go down the queue until every body has their car and there are none left from the first batch. They then ship a load more over :)

Hope that makes sense!

you're going to have to pay £1,590 more for P- than AWD only to get a second quicker acceleration so a more difficult judgemen

Worth taking Second hand value difference into account perhaps? LR AWD will be rare then, whereas most will be P-

Maybe that difference will be same as increased insurance for P- over e.g. 3 years

I’ve had a Rolec installed since Aug 2015, so almost four years old now. Touch wood, I’ve never had any problems with it and it has always worked faultlessly. Never tripped once

is yours indoors / garage? Both mine are outdoors, which maybe contributes (although they happily trip during dry weather as well as wet).

Not sure if this is helpful...

Hope that makes sense!

Hi,

Yes, very helpful thanks. I had the same questions. I guess I was concerned because one of my friends appears to be getting more feedback more quickly (on things like part exchange valuations and finance etc.) and he never made a reservation at all.

Mind you, as an aside, the part-ex valuations were both awful so we're selling privately or terminating PCP early, both of which make more sense financially.

I'd like to alter my spec slightly but I'm paranoid it will cause a delay. I'm undecided anyway and I'll be happy to get pretty much any combo.

Thanks for the update. I'll be following your progress particularly closely as you're one of the earliest reservation holders too.

is yours indoors / garage? Both mine are outdoors, which maybe contributes (although they happily trip during dry weather as well as wet).

Yes, mine is on the back wall inside the garage.

6BB6A573-06C8-4284-99F0-8ED210211B10.jpeg

Reactions: WannabeOwner
They are outrageously low. I was recently offered the same amount (with 1.5 years, and 42k miles) as my guaranteed future value after 4 years and 80k miles. Current difference is about 20k from what they offered to what I owe so I may as well keep the Model S for another 2 or so years and not lose any money rather than trade in for a Model 3 (performance).

Pretty sure that green-trim one is new Style. Mine is Blue Trim.

It's the lever on the RCBO that's significant rather than the case. It's not totally clear in the photo, but it looks like @Roy W. 's unit has the (old) blue lever.

Would be interesting to take the lid off and look for overheating damage, though he may just have a lucky one.

Worth taking Second hand value difference into account perhaps? LR AWD will be rare then, whereas most will be P-

Maybe that difference will be same as increased insurance for P- over e.g. 3 years
Yeah that's the bit I'm not sure of - difficult to know if it'll be a good or bad thing it being rare! If I'd specced a towbar it may have helped, but that's not something I would use myself anyway!

Yeah that's the bit I'm not sure of - difficult to know if it'll be a good or bad thing it being rare! If I'd specced a towbar it may have helped, but that's not something I would use myself anyway!

I suspect the LR AWD won’t be rare after a little while. I was chatting with a Tesla guy at Digbeth yesterday, and he thought that the LR AWD would soon be back again, specifically because of the towing issue. He doesn’t actually *know* of course, but his view was that the removal of LR AWD had more to do with the mix of cars on the boat due on 19 June. A way of skewing the demand towards P- to better suit the mix of cars in that shipment.