Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an email someone got from Tesla in the UK when they asked about the LR AWD not being available any more:

"Thank you for the email.
This is a permanent change for the foreseeable future, one which other markets will be adopting in the coming weeks as well.
In terms of delivery, this would not have any affect as we are building an inventory of cars and customers would be matched to a model taken in to account of your reservation status as well."

Agreed. Musk seems to be saying that FSD price is going to increase, from now on, as features are added. I think its already quite a chunk-of-change and not sure how much people will genuinely pay for "Further reduction of Driver Workload" (compared to current AP). Of course when it really is FSD then for those people who want to "send the car to pick up an elderly relative" or "rent it out on Tesla-Uber" that will have a value ... but for anyone else "significant value"? I can't see me paying, say, £10K for full-blown FSD as an option to "reduce driver workload to close to zero" or even "... completely to zero" (although i could work/earn instead of driving ...)

Hands up all those who would actually trust their FSD car to ferry their loved ones around all by itself? At the very least you would still want an experienced human driver sat at the wheel to keep an eye on its progress. So IMHO it's all BS for the foreseeable future and certainly the future of any current Tesla.

Hands up all those who would actually trust their FSD car to ferry their loved ones around all by itself?

Quite.

"Better than the average driver" is no consolation ... all of us are excellent drivers of course :) I'm very happy with both ME and AP working on the job - I don't care which spots the danger and some of the "AP Saves" I've seen on YouTube are very impressive:

• Car two-in-front brakes heavily. Tesla hits the emergency brakes and then the DashCam shows the car in front runing into the back of the one in front of it; brake lights never came on.
  • Car swerves to avoid someone intruding into lane.
  • Car stopped [on AP] in a queue of traffic is hit from behind and STEERS into (clear) adjacent lane to avoid hitting car in front.
I think 99+% chance ME on my own would have not achieved any of those. But I CAN read the "intentions" of drivers ahead (I'm looking at YOU White Van man :) :) ) far better than AP can do ... yet

If they take the steering wheel away the £10+K FSD price had better include the "You will never be injured or die in a Tesla Accident" ... guarantee and then I guess I would stump up my money (if I believed Musk at that point ... )

There's no need to do anything if someone originally ordered what is now a P3D+. The price has dropped and that will be reflected in the final price sheet. Praying certainly won't achieve anything!

Of course...

Just meant praying / hoping that they will do exactly that. I expect they will too, just glad I don't have to bother with the uncertainty.

So you think they will also adjust the price of the LRAWD as a result?

It would be worth it if it was literally full self driving, but the reality is that you are paying £4.9k for a promise that they probably can't keep. Personally I would save your money until you are able to actually demo it. The current watered down version of FSD (formerly marketed as EAP) is nothing remotely like a full-self-driving car. IME the only genuinely useful feature missing from standard AP is the semi auto-lane changing function, but no way is that worth nearly £5k on its own. Auto parking is quite cool when it works, but not really something I would really miss. Summon is just a gimmicky party trick with a real risk of dinging your pride and joy! But it's your money to spend.

Great advice, thanks! I will seriously consider dropping the option.

I think I fell for the "reduced price" prior to May 10th orders.

Also, I am concerned that the EU regulators will hamper the adoption of the enhancements Tesla will make in the near future.

Thanks for helping me keep focused.

So far as I can tell you have lane change when requested and summon being the enabled in FSD. It looks like Navigate on Autopilot will also be live or coming soon once we get the RHD models delivered. And that's about it for features at the moment, is that right?

If that's right then really it's most a bet on future functionality which as RjbT3 righly pointed out may well be hampered by EU regulation etc.

Great advice, thanks! I will seriously consider dropping the option.

I think I fell for the "reduced price" prior to May 10th orders.

Also, I am concerned that the EU regulators will hamper the adoption of the enhancements Tesla will make in the near future.

Thanks for helping me keep focused.

You are welcome. FSD is a nice idea, but simply too far away from reality to consider parting with £5k. I've been using EAP on my Model X for a couple of years now and it is very good. But going from that to genuine FSD requires a gigantic leap.

AP that now comes as standard is pretty effective, although it will be irritating to use on crowded motorways when you have to keep changing lanes - which currently requires autosteer cancelling and re-engaging for every single lane change (with associated warning bongs!). They have deliberately moved auto-lane change (which is really only semi-automatic as you still have to initiate the lane change yourself) into FSD to dumb down AP and encourage buyers to upgrade. If it was say £1k to upgrade I would probably do it, but £5k is just too much for something I can easily live without. On single carriageway roads without lane changes AP will be just fine and TACC alone (active cruise control) is really useful by itself anyway. As I said earlier, the only real benefit of the FSD upgrade is when you are on a motorway and often switching lanes while using autosteer. Maybe for someone piling on thousands of busy motorway miles it could be just about worth the upgrade to FSD for this reason.

So far as I can tell you have lane change when requested and summon being the enabled in FSD. It looks like Navigate on Autopilot will also be live or coming soon once we get the RHD models delivered. And that's about it for features at the moment, is that right?

If that's right then really it's most a bet on future functionality which as RjbT3 righly pointed out may well be hampered by EU regulation etc.

As in my post above, the auto lane-change on request is useful simply so you don't have to cancel autosteer whenever changing lanes on a motorway. Without the auto-lane change function, Autosteer is a pain in such situations as it makes an irritating bing-bong sound every time you cancel and re-engage it, plus it also drops the music volume temporarily while it does it. On a busy motorway you will just revert to using TACC (active cruise contriol) to avoid this constant irritation. Tesla have been very sneaky in moving auto lane-change to FSD as it really cripples AP on a motorway. Tesla owners who are familiar with EAP on MS/X will know exactly what I mean here.

Navigate on AP is a bit rubbish IME with it on my Model X. It sounds impressive, but it's nothing more than suggested lane changes while you are using satnav on a motorway.

• Informative
Reactions: Oddbin and ediflyer
It looks like Navigate on Autopilot will also be live or coming soon once we get the RHD models delivered.
Given that it works with a Belgian LHD Model 3 driven in the UK (it did even when NoA was not enabled in Belgium) that's a fair bet ;-).

But some people love it while others hate it.

I haven't driven in the UK enough to know whether the local driving style gels well with it or not. In Belgium if you switch on your turn indicator to change lanes, other drivers will tend to floor the accelerator in an attempt to prevent you from merging in the lane (which is, of course, THEIR private property for a least 200m in front of their car, it seems) so on busy motorways it's often not aggressive enough. When it's busier I switch to AutoSteer plus "Auto" Lane Change (in other words, I'm going to ignore its lane change suggestions and add some of my own) and when it's even busier on TACC.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Oddbin

I totally agree with this article. yes Elon has tweeted that white interior will only be available in high volume markets, however it can be ordered in any of the left hand drive markets (including the very small countries) so its more than likely a case of not offering it in any RHD market.

"high volume markets" = bo$$ocks. If i lived in Luxembourg I could order what I want right now in any configuration i want.

I find the new configuration really frustrating. If the new performance is basically a long range AWD then why not offer the LR with a P and P+ upgrade ?. It wouldn't make any difference to the current production model as the P is just software and the P+ is offered now anyway ....
I for one would be happier with the LR AWD with increased range.

Given that it works with a Belgian LHD Model 3 driven in the UK (it did even when NoA was not enabled in Belgium) that's a fair bet ;-).

But some people love it while others hate it.

Also I haven't driven in the UK enough to know whether the local driving style gels well with it or not. In Belgium if you switch on your turn indicator to change lanes, other drivers will tend to floor the accelerator in an attempt to prevent you from merging in the lane (which is, of course, THEIR private property for a least 200m in front of their car, it seems) so on busy motorways it's often not aggressive enough ;-).

I can confirm it's just the same in the UK. This feature is now working live on UK MX/MS cars. Other drivers are way too aggressive to allow autosteer to gently drift across lanes. Plus it has a tendency to slam on the brakes suddenly BEFORE moving into a slower lane, which is usually the last thing you want with a competing Audi stuck on your bumper!

More recent firmwares on Model 3s at least do use overtake acceleration quite well, in my experience. But older ones were hit and miss (the one that was originally on my Model 3 would indeed slam on the brakes and then try to change langes). It will still adjust speed to the slower lane quite early (but less than earlier firmwares) when you go right again (for us, left for the UK), but I have no compassion for Audi tailgaters.

Are you on 2019.16.x yet?

I honestly hardly ever change lanes on the motorway. Even in the overtake line, changing lanes into middle then back would only net you several seconds in the middle lane if you are going at 80.

With basic AP I'd just stick it on 70 and stay in the middle lane and chill out. Try to do that with dumb cruise control and it will be on/off all the time when the car in front is doing 69...

Navigate FSD, with emphasis on "full" will not be ready in UK for at least 5 years if I'm being super optimistic. As in, get in at work, stick it on home and read a book. If I have to look and concentrate on the road then I may as well steer.

I think AP keeping distance with cars in front already reduce stress by about 80% (at least for me).

I believe all the safety features are there without buying FSD.

And if they want more adoption for the whole FSD thing as it becomes more expensive they really need to enable it in stages. Like lane change and auto-park 2k then navigate another 3k summon another 2k etc.

it will be irritating to use on crowded motorways when you have to keep changing lanes - which currently requires autosteer cancelling and re-engaging for every single lane change (with associated warning bongs!)

The thing that angers me about this decision is that whilst on Manual (moving to outside lane, probably including staying on "manual" in the outside lane until can move back to inside lane) the Driver has none of the safety enhancements of AP working to help you - AEB is always available of course, but not (AFAIK) the two-cars-in-front slowing, no side intrusion, no frills like AP not driving in other cars' blindspots and whatever other Safety Abilities they add to AP in future.

Newbie here learning about the complexities of choosing a Tesla :) I’ve decided to move on from my diesel supping Audi and embrace electric driving. Have been a few times to see the M3 on display at Cribbs in Bristol and I like it. A lot. My concerns on boot size / storage pretty much allayed, it’s big enough for our family needs, a bit of a compromise but manageable. I pondered waiting for the MY for a hatch and more space but figure that’s probably a couple of years away in the UK. I’d rather stop emitting CO2 sooner and go with the M3. That young Greta lass will cost me a fortune :D

So, last week I was about to press the button on a LR AWD, either red or blue (undecided), black interior, 19 inch wheels. I held off pondering the choice of colour, went away for the weekend and came back to find that the LR AWD has disappeared. Looks like now:
- I can now order the Performance version for not much more that the price for LR AWD. But:
- My wheel choices are 18 inch Aero as standard or 20 inch Performance with the upgrade, I can no longer order 19 inch wheels. Not good as I don’t like the look of the Aero wheels and I’m not going to suffer with 20 inch wheels and lower suspension on UK roads.
- I don’t want the extra performance, the LR AWD had plenty for me.
- Presumably the Performance version will incur higher insurance costs.

I think my best option currently is to hold off and hope that the LR AWD makes a return at some point. Or perhaps seek out a Used Model S. Any thoughts from more knowledgable Tesla observers?

I think my best option currently is to hold off and hope that the LR AWD makes a return at some point.

Welcome to the mad world of Tesla :confused:. In your shoes I'd hold off. Tesla pull and push the demand lever like it's going out of fashion. Most likely they've already a bunch of non LR AWD produced and possibly on their way - they want to get rid of them pronto. As soon as that's done they'll bring it back, maybe in a slightly different guise but it'll be back.

They did something similar with the S75D in January. Pulled it leaving only the 100D which put £20k overnight on my replacement. It came back a month later as the "Standard Range" S.

You do say the 3 is "manageable" but would prefer the Y - for me the boot is a killer on the 3, so maybe rethinking and picking up an S instead wouldn't be a bad idea. Then check out the Y is 2-3 years time. I suspect there would be some very good deals on inventory stock S's between now and the end of the month..o_O

Hope that helps, or maybe just confuses you even more :confused:

- My wheel choices are 18 inch Aero as standard or 20 inch Performance with the upgrade, I can no longer order 19 inch wheels. Not good as I don’t like the look of the Aero wheels and I’m not going to suffer with 20 inch wheels and lower suspension on UK roads.

Have you looked at a picture of the aero wheels without the aero covers which just snap on and off.
I am led to believe they don't make that much difference and they aren't a bad looking set of wheels minus the covers
They also come on and off pretty easily I think so you could just use them for long journeys

just a thought

Hi All,
found this forum by chance. From London and just ordered a standard black SR+ , have been told expect 12 weeks for delivery I assume around September

just wanted to ask If anyone also on SR+ list, what accessories I need in advance ? carpet mats , wireless charger ?

Reactions: Matt125