Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I'd picked up, seemed to be quite a PITA, with a bing bong every time you go to change lane when driving in AP as it has to disengage and then you have to re-engage it in the new lane with another audio warning that dips media playback too?

This is all true. But I don't think it's worth anything remotely like £5.8k and IME you will quite often over-ride auto lane-change in traffic as it's quite slow to react. The compromise is to use TACC for active speed control (no bing-bongs when switching TACC on/off), while steering yourself across lanes and just engage Autosteer when you are on a clear stretch of road.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Just had a call that caller ID flagged as from 'Tesla' which made my heart skip a beat.....

I was brought back down to earth pretty quickly when I found out it was just the Cambridge Tesla sales people asking if I still wanted a test drive (that I'd showed interest in a few months ago).

She also couldn't tell me anything about delivery dates but the one interesting point to note is that they (the Cambridge Tesla sales people) are getting access to a RHD Model 3 to allow test drives in the next 2 weeks. I imagine that must be part of the first shipload.

Regarding FSD - I paid for the option on my 90D, and have ordered it again. Summon is really useful when you have a toddler and a very tight parking space, and I use lane changing on AP all the time. As we will have HW3 I am sure FSD will soon be a more refined experience than EAP on HW2/2.5.

Agreed lane change on AP is pretty useful. Summon I can understand too IF you are regularly parking in super tight spaces. But I've never used it once personally and the Model 3 is not as wide as the S/X. So I doubt these things are really worth £5,800 for most buyers who will have never had this kind of functionality before anyway. I would have bought FSD only if AP wasn't included as standard, which I'm very pleased it is.

Incidentally when you bought the 90D, was EAP available at that point? When I bought my X75D in late 2017 it was something like £4k for EAP and an extra £3k for FSD, which would have added literally zero additional functionality over the ownership of my car.

I imagine that must be part of the first shipload.
Yup -- Grand Phoenix, just arrived in Zeebrugge. That confirms there are at least some RHD cars on the ship.

This one and the Grand Dahlia that arrives next week appear to have a product mix to "fill the gaps" of the other two ships that have arrived recently (Morning Cornelia and NOCC Oceanic). We have reports of some people on the continent with 'funkier' options (AWD, white interior, the ultra-rare Stormtrooper White/White, 19" wheels, etc.) finally getting a car in 10-15 days.

Last edited:
I agree, the aero wheels look great for now and when I get bored well then off they pop! I am however completely undecided as to whether I should upgrade from the awd lr I have ordered to the p-lite! Just for a slightly quicker acceleration and bragging rights! Have spoke to Tesla and they have said I can upgrade and keep the 5000 supercharging miles but will lose my mid July slot! He tried to convince me by telling me the awd lr would be classed as a limited addition ! I think we both knew he was full of s#*t!

Definitely go for the upgrade. It's more than "slightly" quicker! Plus nobody is going to want a software nerfed LR AWD when you come to sell it on when there will be a bunch of P-lites around for similar money.

I had ordered LR AWD + tow bar, and I emailed Tesla to ask what my options are. Just got a reply:

There are a couple options with your order which you can undertake – keep the order as is and receive the specification you originally ordered including the tow hitch, however please note there is no price reduction on this. Or we can modify your order to the new performance configuration and include the latest pricing.

Wasn't clear from that if it would bump me to the back of the queue; I'm waiting for further clarification on that.

I had ordered LR AWD + tow bar, and I emailed Tesla to ask what my options are. Just got a reply:

There are a couple options with your order which you can undertake – keep the order as is and receive the specification you originally ordered including the tow hitch, however please note there is no price reduction on this. Or we can modify your order to the new performance configuration and include the latest pricing.

Wasn't clear from that if it would bump me to the back of the queue; I'm waiting for further clarification on that.

I presume you will lose the tow bar if you upgrade?

Definitely go for the upgrade. It's more than "slightly" quicker! Plus nobody is going to want a software nerfed LR AWD when you come to sell it on when there will be a bunch of P-lites around for similar money.

Isn’t the potential downside of this the cost of insuring a Performance model compared to the LR AWD? My assumption would be that insurance premiums would be higher. I neither need nor want the extra performance, but I do want AWD, so still stalling on my decision on whether to order now or wait it out and see if the model options increase later.

Isn’t the potential downside of this the cost of insuring a Performance model compared to the LR AWD?

It depends on whether the insurance cost is mainly price-dependent or uses a fudge factor that takes kW/horsepower into account. And even if the latter holds, for some insurance companies both AWD and P- are often in the same "maximum power" bin, and then it also no longer makes a difference.

I asked for offers from four companies, and it made no difference in two (including the cheaper one), a small difference in one (the most expensive one), and a large difference in the second-best.

Isn’t the potential downside of this the cost of insuring a Performance model compared to the LR AWD? My assumption would be that insurance premiums would be higher. I neither need nor want the extra performance, but I do want AWD, so still stalling on my decision on whether to order now or wait it out and see if the model options increase later.

It doesn't necessarily follow that insurance premiums will be higher for the P model. But until you get quotes for both you will not know. Residuals for the LR AWD will definitely suffer considerably now the P- price has dropped so close. Unless they hike the price of the P model again I don't see the LR AWD having any future in the UK. But Tesla seem to be gearing up for the upcoming EV competition and reducing the amount of software limited models is the easiest solution for them to provide maximum value for money. We've seen the same with S/X models, with P variant prices slashed by over £30k overnight and no software limited battery models anymore. It's a great time to buy a quick Tesla!

So the website still says July delivery for UK. Staff in the Cribbs (Bristol) outlet tell me Sept/Oct which seems more credible to me. And suits me better actually as I have a trip to the south of France planned in the summer with 5 people plus luggage, which the M3 may struggle with (space wise).

What’s everyone else hearing on delivery availability for new orders placed now?

It doesn't necessarily follow that insurance premiums will be higher for the P model. But until you get quotes for both you will not know. Residuals for the LR AWD will definitely suffer considerably now the P- price has dropped so close. Unless they hike the price of the P model again I don't see the LR AWD having any future in the UK. But Tesla seem to be gearing up for the upcoming EV competition and reducing the amount of software limited models is the easiest solution for them to provide maximum value for money. We've seen the same with S/X models, with P variant prices slashed by over £30k overnight and no software limited battery models anymore. It's a great time to buy a quick Tesla!

Maybe later they will re-introduce the LR AWD at a lower price say 43-45K or bring in the LR RWD which would be a problem since many current LR AWD customers are more after the range than the AWD and would happily buy a LR RWD if it was possible.
Either of those could be a disaster for LR AWD residuals if purchased at the original price

• Love
Reactions: RjbT3
The compromise is to use TACC for active speed control (no bing-bongs when switching TACC on/off), while steering yourself across lanes and just engage Autosteer when you are on a clear stretch of road.

I know you and I know all this, so apologise for being pedantic:

I find that AP reduces the driver workload, sufficiently that it makes a significant difference on long journeys. For that reason I use AP rather than TACC whenever on dual carriageway for long journeys and, having got into that habit that then means "whenever on dual carriageway".

On journeys that I have driven all my life, in particular one 1h30m drive starting at 9:30 - 10:00 PM and all bar a couple of miles at each end on dual carriageway, whereas I was often fighting sleep for the last half-dozen miles before (in cars with ACC) since having AP [3 years now] I have never, once, had that happen on that journey, so I'm confident it makes a difference in Wear and Tear on me.

But "how much is that worth" ... is tricky. From memory the AP option, 3 years ago, was £1,500 ... and all I use it for is "drive yourself along a dual carriageway" and that is pretty much all I would ask current EAP + FSD to do for me ... so definitely "looks expensive"

the cost of insuring a Performance model compared to the LR AWD?

I think that is only likely to be an issue for a youngster. ?

• Informative
Reactions: ediflyer

Usually if you only "add stuff" or want a price adjustment then they are willing to work to keep your order the same (not sure whether removing the software nerf from AWD to P- counts, especially given some of the CoC details may be different) -- but note I said "usually"; in theory if the configuration changes then the delivery dates or prices may change.

If you remove stuff (e.g. go from a P+ you had ordered to a P- since you decide you'd rather do without the Performance Upgrade Package now) they'll usually reprocess the order by canceling and re-ordering, which may or may not mean extra delays (or even less delays, as when they phoned around to convert orders without towbar into orders with towbar that could be delivered faster!), and in that case any options you purchased will also be ordered at the "new" price.

So the website still says July delivery for UK. Staff in the Cribbs (Bristol) outlet tell me Sept/Oct which seems more credible to me. And suits me better actually as I have a trip to the south of France planned in the summer with 5 people plus luggage, which the M3 may struggle with (space wise).

What’s everyone else hearing on delivery availability for new orders placed now?

Out of interest, do you know if they have the Model 3 on display at the Cribbs showroom at the moment?

Maybe later they will re-introduce the LR AWD at a lower price say 43-45K or bring in the LR RWD which would be a problem since many current LR AWD customers are more after the range than the AWD and would happily buy a LR RWD if it was possible.
Either of those could be a disaster for LR AWD residuals if purchased at the original price

I think it's unlikely that they will re-introduce the LR AWD at a lower price. That would hurt margins a lot more than selling the same car as P- at a fractionally higher price, or even the same price (remember it's only a software upgrade). I think a lot will depend on what competition Tesla faces in the next 12 months, but the trend has been to unlock the full performance potential for minimal extra cost. I was blown away by the price drop on P model S/X variants recently! An instant £30K+ saving!