Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or, except for the fact that I may end up with a very nice car at the end of it the process, buying a car from Tesla is not a very enjoyable experience.
No or little contact from customer service when I did get to speak with them they didn't have many answers.
I request a change to the order and they give me an email address so I can bother someone else instead - and they have not acknowledged the mail.
I'm telling myself it wil get better - but I'm fearing a downward trend to be honest.

The edit button disappears eventually. You would like to think that is when they commit to building your actual car, but on the evidence of complete lack of tracking between what is being made and what is delivered to the UK, who knows!

But while the button is there you can play to your hearts content, but price changes will be reflected. So if you go in to remove the red but the base price has increased in the mean time then the new price will apply and you might not save as much as you expect. So best to lock in what you want ASAP I think.

The edit design button disappeared on my order today so looks like my time to play is over. Red it is then :) I had requested a trade in offer but it was very low. So I changed it to “no car to trade in” this morning and the trade in offer disappeared completely. At the same time as this the order overview section was immediately updated and 3 of the 4 boxes were ticked, the only one unticked is now “delivery”. Apparently now drafting contact and will contact me when final payment is to be made.

I’m assuming this final stage may take some time :rolleyes:

Reactions: PrGrPa
Interesting email reply from UK Sales today (took 7 days and a chaser email before they finally replied!) - they said that RHD LR AWD would be back for sale before the end of this year...
I would be extremely skeptical about any emails about that from Internal Sales in the UK. History suggests that they know absolutely nothing about the future line-up. Changes are decided in Fremont and they get to know them when it happens...if they say something about "the future" it tends to be motivated by VINs assigned to their country but not tied to orders yet, rather than true indications about the future.

Meanwhile we in Europe get completely opposite rumours about future convergence with the current SR+/P-/P+ line-up ("the AWD LR is going to disappear"), and Germans claim that RWD LR is "no longer orderable even off-menu" while the German page listing inventory cars for sale has truckloads of them.

Personally, I think the internal sales people should just say "this is how it is today, and we don't know the future" instead of taking the current scattershot approach.

Last edited:
Is it just me or, except for the fact that I may end up with a very nice car at the end of it the process, buying a car from Tesla is not a very enjoyable experience.
No or little contact from customer service when I did get to speak with them they didn't have many answers.
I request a change to the order and they give me an email address so I can bother someone else instead - and they have not acknowledged the mail.
I'm telling myself it wil get better - but I'm fearing a downward trend to be honest.

I think people need to adjust their expectations. This is not a normal car, its not made here, there are no conventional dealerships, the demand is huge, the sales staff here do not know anything and cannot tell anyone anything until the cars arrive. The reservation and ordering process could be adjusted to manage people’s expectations a little better but if you go over to the waiting room pages for Norway and Holland and even M3 waiting room pages for people in the US the pattern appears to be the same ie not much info in the lead up to generic delivery times and then one to two weeks before a flurry of activity where the vins are verified and the delivery slots are confirmed.

The biggest problem seems to have been the June delivery statement when the order page opened. If they had stated July / August and built in some buffer time even if some of the cars would make the early June timeframe people wouldn’t be wondering whats going on.

Yep they could (and should) have definitely managed expectations better to begin with. They also should have sorted out OLEV approval and the insurance/finance side of things beforehand too. Unfortunately they then shot themselves (or more accurately their poor sales folks on the phone/email) in the foot by announcing major restructuring of line-up part-way through. I'm hoping it'll all be worth it in the end (and by all accounts it will be), but they seem to have made things unnecessarily tricky for both themselves and customers in the process.

Reactions: Roy W.

It's the same as with all the other car manufacturers, except that Tesla inflicts the pain and misery upon the end customer that others inflict upon their dealer network [I worked in pre-sales for a company for 18 years...] ;-).

Yes, other companies shield you from that through their dealer networks, but
a) they'll not be as transparent with you -- dealers have their own agenda, and it may not always align with yours; Tesla, in a way, is all too transparent and you get to experience the chaos of them trying to continuously match production and demand in real time;
b) the dealers aren't shielding you from it all for free either.

But yeah, it's quite the roller coaster ride and I doubt they'll be able to continue to act like that once they are more demand constrained than production constrained...

Not sure I preferred the Audi way I experienced first hand when they were production constrained: order a car, and their ERP system knows exactly when they're going to produce a car batch that matches, which enables them to tell you exactly what day you can get the car after 10 months...

Last edited:
See above: if you order an ID.3 from Volkswagen or a Kona EV from Hyundai, they'll tell you exactly how much longer than one year you're going to have to wait (and the E-tron is ending up in the same situation fast over here). Not sure that beats the Tesla chaos, where they really do try to deliver the cars as fast as they can.

Reactions: PrGrPa
They're not really..They've been at it 6 weeks (not counting the time they had to build up inventory before official launch) and they've managed under 1000 cars. If September really is the next date until they start building RHD cars again* they'll have managed a paltry 62 cars a week.

* I'm aware that Tesla staff just make stuff up constantly so this may not be true, but it's the latest 'official' news we have.

Last edited:
They actually dedicated about a day. And aren't planning to allocate any more time for another 3 months. If they never planned to make very many they shouldn't have taken 5000 deposits. It's exactly the thing that other car manufacturers are quite rightly criticised for.. launch an EV then act all surprised when people want them.

If they'd waited for a few months, built up some inventory, maybe staffed the UK office (which gives the impression of being a couple of people in a small office handling their entire support operation) they wouldn't be in such a mess now.

Last edited:
email reply from UK Sales said that RHD LR AWD would be back for sale before the end of this year.

That may be what they have been told; on past performance the timing will be something different based on various demand and production levers. Might be sooner, later, or possibly even never (that seems unlikely, but LR may come back in a different guise altogether)

No, not just you ... but the fact you are not enjoying it is either because you want updates - Tesla want you just to sit and wait - or you need to change something. From order to delivery is around 3-4 months ... People not being able to sort out finance is a snag, needing direct COMMs with Tesla which will be stretching them, maybe Tesla hadn't anticipated HMRC throwing a curved (VAT) ball at PCP

Tesla want you to be informed via their website - I've only bought cars from dealers before, and the last one of those was 6 years ago, so I don't know if other Brands have all the DOCs / process online etc? I still have available, for download online, all the DOCS - order, invoice, etc. - for the Tesla I bought 3 years ago. Of course that is also true for Amazon etc ... so that's the space that Tesla wants to be in.

Trouble is, Tesla back-office software isn't great, so it doesn't work reliably to keep you informed, and thus customers call asking for updates ... which clogs up the call centre ... which increases the delays.

I wonder to what extend raising a question from MyTesla is best, in the sense that it ought to then be coupled with your account and give the best chance of being seen when someone is looking at your account. If you send an email then I suppose their system might match up the FROM email address with your MyTesla account, but I for one use a different address for Email and MyTesla account, so an email might sit in "inbox" awaiting reading and filing against an account.

Yep they could (and should) have definitely managed expectations better to begin with. They also should have sorted out OLEV approval and the insurance/finance side of things beforehand too. Unfortunately they then shot themselves (or more accurately their poor sales folks on the phone/email) in the foot by announcing major restructuring of line-up part-way through. I'm hoping it'll all be worth it in the end (and by all accounts it will be), but they seem to have made things unnecessarily tricky for both themselves and customers in the process.

This is all "Normal for Tesla" not an isolated "We mucked up during the UK rollout". I have no idea if there is a good reason behind it, I can think of loads of contributory things (growth, lack of funds, production line allocation, anxiety about position of competitors) all of which it seems to me are made worse but running a chaotic ship, and the untidy process seems way more expensive to manage than a tidy one.

But this is Normal for Tesla. If you didn't research and know that before then pass-it-on please. It would be better that future customers who would hate all this hassle would be better off shopping elsewhere.

this may not be true

So why say it? You don't know, I don't know either. Plenty of people have been given delivery slots; a few have late June, I've seen a few early July, more at mid July and some in August. If you ordered now delivery might well be September. Doesn't sounds like one boatload of a handful of cars to me.

They actually dedicated about a day. And aren't planning to allocate any more time for another 3 months

And your reliable source for that statement is?

I don't have a solution to the lack of information you and others have, but voicing hearsay here won't improve that.

why on earth does the website state July as estimated delivery? It would be such an easy thing to update

You'd think wouldn't you, and I would agree with. Clearly someone hasn't done it, and it isn't automated. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that there is a marketing reason behind it

They had 30-40k paid reservations and built 300-400 cars while enticing people in with June delivery for the first 4000 orders.

And that's fact and not opinion?

You've personally counted the VINs assigned and the RHD vehicles on Grand Dahlia and Grand Mark, and have access to the secret memos in Fremont?

Perhaps you can tell us what’s on the Grand Mark. There sure as hell seem to be no more LHD RWD LRs on that ship, but a lot of LHD SR+; the rest seems RHD but we'd like to know how many (because they're of no use to us ;-) ).

Last edited: