Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compared to the original new price, basically the price I paid minus the price I'm being offered for it by WBAC etc divided by the number of months owned.
You have to consider that you are selling to the trade though to be fair. As a private seller on a high value car/vehicle it's often hard to compete. The trade for most part is more interested in selling you a financial package hence a cash buyer is not really in their best interest. As you mentioned, Teslas profit per car are higher so they are not fussed either way.

Personally, I just rite the money spent on vehicles off as in not to be seen again. Historically, each car ive bought has been more expensive than the previous and imho it's the same analogy as saying a conservatory, house extension etc. is an investment. Probably so if you are a property developer but if you done it to enjoy it and plan to live there forever, this way of thinking is null and void.

Reactions: MrT3
if I'd invested my £61k into Tesla shares back in March 2020 and sold at the top I'd have made a LOT from it.
Equally, if you had invested in Sept 2022 you would have lost a lot. It’s not really investing going all or nothing in a single stock - that‘s gambling. Investing in something safer wouldn’t get you much of a return over the finance costs and inflation.

Equally, if you had invested in Sept 2022 you would have lost a lot. It’s not really investing going all or nothing in a single stock - that‘s gambling. Investing in something safer wouldn’t get you much of a return over the finance costs and inflation.
Yeah, I don’t lose any sleep over it because hindsight is 20/20. I wouldn’t have dropped £60k on Tesla shares anyway, so the profit is imaginary.

Reactions: MrT3
Real shame Tesla has essentially cancelled the X in the UK. The extra space and seats for family holidays is fantastic.

Despite coming up to 6 years old our 75D X still serves as well as any brand new EV onsale today for touring. The number/amount of Tesla SCs are now crazy compared to 2017 when we did the first trip road trip in it. It’s amazing family/friend EV road trips are so easy now :).

The most important bit for me is the ability of the car to serve its main function - family wagon, and in that regards, I still cannot think of another EV on the market I would rather own. Really sad there will be no more RHD Xs :(.

52942690539_3772a0b018_c_d.jpg

52941928557_590098bf28_c_d.jpg

52943181789_5939dc7ecc_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
I think there won’t be any new RHD models until there are!

They have cleared the old orders at the old agreed prices all over the world by cancelling the orders and refunding £100 each.

When they decide they have sufficient time/desire to make them again - and at a huge profit - they will do so. That’s my 2p worth.

The MS was virtually hand built using special materials and parts, and there was little cost saving then possible. Similarly when M3 was produced it had 100 pieces of body panels that were all they could manage at the time but are now replaced with two castings on the MY.

But look at the last few years, they have made huge cost of production savings with castings front and rear on the MY, and I think are shortly to do the same again to the M3 to reduce their cost of production.

The MS and MX are still being made, but only in LHD, and all only in Fremont. When they want they can produce several thousand in RHD as a giant batch - but probably not before they have Mexico up and running, and maybe as a new line somewhere- possibly Shanghai as that serves all other RHD markets

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
I think there won’t be any new RHD models until there are!

They have cleared the old orders at the old agreed prices all over the world by cancelling the orders and refunding £100 each.

When they decide they have sufficient time/desire to make them again - and at a huge profit - they will do so. That’s my 2p worth.

The MS was virtually hand built using special materials and parts, and there was little cost saving then possible. Similarly when M3 was produced it had 100 pieces of body panels that were all they could manage at the time but are now replaced with two castings on the MY.

But look at the last few years, they have made huge cost of production savings with castings front and rear on the MY, and I think are shortly to do the same again to the M3 to reduce their cost of production.

The MS and MX are still being made, but only in LHD, and all only in Fremont. When they want they can produce several thousand in RHD as a giant batch - but probably not before they have Mexico up and running, and maybe as a new line somewhere- possibly Shanghai as that serves all other RHD markets

The trouble is though, that those of us who were waiting and watching have now been burned and when I step back and look at it, why am I paying over £100k for a car with no turn stalks, no HUD, no USS and crappy headlights?

I’m sure they can get back on track, but they’ve really lost their way IMO.

The trouble is though, that those of us who were waiting and watching have now been burned and when I step back and look at it, why am I paying over £100k for a car with no turn stalks, no HUD, no USS and crappy headlights?

I’m sure they can get back on track, but they’ve really lost their way IMO.
In two or three years they will be massively changed in production, and "unboxed" builds will be running.

Optimus will assemble the car better than current Fremont workers if my tinfoil hat is picking up the right signals :)

• Funny
Reactions: gangzoom
@12Pack Given all the ‘spare’ cash you have no wasting away with no new S to buy, maybe try something different :). I’ve physically injured my self far more significantly on my pedal bikes than in any car, even this past week, some real potential for serious pain when getting an decent wrong in the middle of a literal forest with no other soul around! It’s you, the machine, and now much balls/skill you dare risk/try, personally I find the adrenaline rush addictive compared to anything 4 wheeled machines can do regardless of the 0-60 time :).

52940947239_a8006a2b58_c_d.jpg

52936997284_ee43d5e64a_c_d.jpg

52934659092_337711fd60_c_d.jpg

It’s you, the machine, and now much balls/skill you dare risk/try, personally I find the adrenaline rush addictive compared to anything 4 wheeled machines can do regardless of the 0-60 time :).
Yea. My Gocycle GX does a good job whilst looking cool as :cool:... However, my Ducati does a even better job as far as balls (this is what you need when dont have much skill😆) and can do some nice 0-60 times to boot even without launch control😬

Yea. My Gocycle GX does a good job whilst looking cool as :cool:... However, my Ducati does a even better job as far as balls (this is what you need when dont have much skill😆) and can do some nice 0-60 times to boot even without launch control😬

I would literally be dead if owned a scooter let alone a Ducati :).

My self control for speed on 2 wheels is just none existent, even without falling off I gave my self a blister from pulling on the brake levers so hard during a shacky 10% decent on gravel.....think risk of going head first over the bars!! Came unclipped a few times when the pedals hit reasonable sized rocks.

Cars are great for a sit down in, but the real fun is the stuff on 2 wheels. It's the very real potential to end up as roadkill any second on any pedal bike that brings the rush for me, cars are just so dull in comparison.

52942159746_ac124a3549_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
@12Pack Given all the ‘spare’ cash you have no wasting away with no new S to buy, maybe try something different :). I’ve physically injured my self far more significantly on my pedal bikes than in any car, even this past week, some real potential for serious pain when getting an decent wrong in the middle of a literal forest with no other soul around! It’s you, the machine, and now much balls/skill you dare risk/try, personally I find the adrenaline rush addictive compared to anything 4 wheeled machines can do regardless of the 0-60 time :).

52940947239_a8006a2b58_c_d.jpg

52936997284_ee43d5e64a_c_d.jpg

52934659092_337711fd60_c_d.jpg
Very cool suggestion. I do spend all my free time at the gym or on the tennis court for the exhaustion, and also have an Ariel Atom for the adrenaline rush, but I fully appreciate your suggestion. Certainly something for if I retire.

Certainly something for if I retire

Alternatively you could take a cycling holiday. We did that, when the kids were early teens. I found a website called Cycling-For-Softies which I reckoned filled the bill :) 5-star hotels/dining, just cycle between to the next one every other day ... all joking apart, you can discuss your route with the Rep, and how ambitious you want to be, so caters for Cycling Hardies too

• Helpful
Reactions: Leytonstone
FWIW, I counted the number times I would have struggled with an LHD car last week, including access to my second home (David Lloyd), daily coffee drive through, 1 airport drop off, and several stupid-bicyclist overtakes (see below). Lost count after 20.

View attachment 943531
We should start a sweepstake on exactly how many left-hooker MS will be registered in the UK by the end of 2023.

My guess is 7.

several stupid-bicyclist overtakes (see below)
It looks like those peeps are being a tad inconsiderate if they know that you're behind them, but I'm obliged to make the regular reminder that cyclists are entitled to be anywhere in the lane that they so choose. By the looks of that road, if they didn't know that you were there, then the Highway Code recommends that they be in the middle. If they knew you were there and were just chatting, then that's definitely twazzock-cyclist territory.